Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

Strange and Different Noise on 98 Corvette

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 04:20 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Strange and Different Noise on 98 Corvette

This problem has plagued me since I purchased the car in October of 2008. What is happening as far as I have been able to troubleshoot is that under light acceleration OR heavy braking when moving in reverse, (so when the front of the car comes up when the car is in motion) there is a rattle noise that sounds like a random "tinging" noise. This noise does not happen when in park or neutral and reving. It also cannot be duplicated by pushing up on the front of the car when stationary.

We have tried swapping the h-pipe at the suggestion of a few that it could be the catalytic converter and that did not solve the problem. Any suggestions or words of advice or suggestions? Thanks!

Here's a video, not great quality. And yes I was being a jackass in my driveway to get the noise on tape. As you can see it happens either in reverse and stopping quickly or under light acceleration. The acceleration noise is difficult to hear because of windnoise.

Noise that is the problem can be heard at the 49-48, 33-32, 21-20, 14, and 8-7 marks of time remaining on the video.

Old 08-26-2009, 07:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ahhh dammit man. Noises ar super difficult when the car is in front of me,...let alone,...somewhere across the internet. I listened to the video.....over and over and over again. I know you point out the noises by time frame but,...each noise/timeframe sounds different...atleast to me.

So I will go off what your describing. Since you say tingingnoise...i'd ay something along the lines of a rattle, something like how a bad CAT would sound... since you already jumped on that,... then how about the tunnel brace? It sits above the exhaust, and is hard to get to, with the exhaust being in place still. It is the long piece of metal that has about a hundred bolts in place, every four inches or soo. Maybe one or alot of those are loose?

If you have a lift, and the time, remove your h or x pipe and tighten all those. I would visually look first though,...maybe you could see if they were loose or not.

That... or you've got a loose bolt somewhere,...or maybe your tranny lines are rubbing against the bellhousing....

Too bad you didn't have an alignmet rack to put the car on. That way you could load the suspension,...and attempt to duplicate it like that. I deal with noises alot, and I gotta tell you,....they're tough to diag man.

Check everything. Anything that comes in contact with another item. Check heat sheilds,... nuts,....brake lines... etc.

Sorry I can't help you more on this. Happy hunting
Old 08-26-2009, 07:57 PM
Staging Lane

I know it's a complete pain. I've put in on a dyno but it was a dynojet so no load, but it did not make the noise, even when pushing up on the front of the car. I'll double check tunnel brace and all heat shields again. I just keep hoping I'm overlooking something simple.
Old 08-26-2009, 08:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by '99 SLP#24
I know it's a complete pain. I've put in on a dyno but it was a dynojet so no load, but it did not make the noise, even when pushing up on the front of the car. I'll double check tunnel brace and all heat shields again. I just keep hoping I'm overlooking something simple.

Hope soo... if not, it could be in trans. Since it does it on a transition(bound/rebound), it sounds like somthing is loose or touching. Hows your E brake? not hanging up is it?
Old 08-26-2009, 09:47 PM
Staging Lane

E brake seems to be fine, car is an auto so I don't use it all that often. Sound seems to be coming from the front. Could it be something the leans into a moving part and gets batted around? Something going against a fan? Anyway for something to make noise against the torque converter?
Old 08-26-2009, 09:58 PM
Staging Lane

Idler pulley bad maybe?
Old 08-26-2009, 10:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

I'd check all tranny lines. Seen them vibrate on alot of different vehicles.
Old 08-27-2009, 09:32 AM
Banned

If it only happens with the motor being torqued. (forward or reverse, the motor still torques the same direction) I'd look at the motor mounts and tranny mount. You should be able to see the engine lift if someone else STANDS on the brake and torques up the motor.
Checking he balancer would also be a good idea since these get worn out frequently (rubber inside balancer). It may just be wobbling and hitting the steering rack.
Old 08-27-2009, 01:43 PM
Staging Lane

Would the motor still be torqued when it does it moving backwards. As I'm moving backwards and stop rapidly it makes the noise after my foot is off the gas and as I'm stopping rapidly when the front of the car starts to come up.
Old 08-27-2009, 08:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

...are you sure it's a "tinging"?

Cause you can get into mounts, control arm bushings,loose cradle, lose brake caliper, etc.
Old 08-27-2009, 10:34 PM
Staging Lane

Sounds like a metallic sound. To me it sounds like a ball bearing being shook in a can at various speeds.

Quick Reply: Strange and Different Noise on 98 Corvette