Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Trans/Rearend Howling noise.

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 03:34 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trans/Rearend Howling noise.

Okay, I had my rear end rebuilt, just the bearings and such no gears to fix a whine/howl comming from the rear. It fixed the problem, but about 2 weeks after the noise came back and is now louder than before. Also the howl only becomes audible under accel from about 15mph on up. It is especially loud in fith gear at about 50mph and 6th at 65-70. However, there are certain speeds where the howl wont be near as loud. If I put the car in neutral or push the clutch in the noise goes away so it seems its only under accel.

I am having the trans rebuilt next week, and I hope that the noise is coming from the trans and just verberating through the rear end, but it certainly sounds like it is coming from the rear. Is there any way this could be the trans and not the rear end again? The guy who rebuilt the rear showed me the bearings and they were pretty worn out and the noise was gone right after the repair. I took it back to him and he checked the fluid, backlash and such and told me everything was good and that it had to be something in the trans or clutch. I hope its not the rear end again.
Old 08-28-2009, 05:58 PM
TECH Resident

are u using richmon gear ?
Old 08-28-2009, 06:28 PM
On The Tree

Should be stock gear.
Old 08-28-2009, 09:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Most likely your rear end. Have you done any hard launches since the rebuild?
Old 08-28-2009, 11:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

I had a noise that sounded like it was coming from the tranny tailshaft when my 10bolt rearend pinion bearing went bad.

Old 08-29-2009, 01:08 AM
On The Tree

I have not done any hard launches, but after the rebuild I did get on it from time to time. BTW I mean the rear end rebuild not my tranny. I am getting the trans done next week. I rarely dog the car, but the occasional run through the gears at WOT. I just dont understand why it would come back two weeks after it was rebuilt. He checked it over again and said everything was fine. So its either everything wasnt fine or the problem is something else. Perhaps an axle bearing? Oh well, I guess ill find out in a few weeks when the trans is rebuilt.
Old 08-29-2009, 09:20 AM
FormerVendor

Well, you said he rebuilt the rear end, but not gears. Did he replace teh Diff bearings? Pinion Bearing? Or just the axles bearings?

Also, have you checked Ujoints?
Old 08-29-2009, 01:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by bmartin8
I have not done any hard launches, but after the rebuild I did get on it from time to time. BTW I mean the rear end rebuild not my tranny. I am getting the trans done next week. I rarely dog the car, but the occasional run through the gears at WOT. I just dont understand why it would come back two weeks after it was rebuilt. He checked it over again and said everything was fine. So its either everything wasnt fine or the problem is something else. Perhaps an axle bearing? Oh well, I guess ill find out in a few weeks when the trans is rebuilt.
I didn't do hard launches either but my stock 10bolt rearend didn't need much help to fail on it's own.

Yes you will know for sure once the tranny is rebuilt.

One easy way to verify the noise source. remove the drive shaft and see if the noise is sill there.

Old 08-29-2009, 03:58 PM
On The Tree

Yeah he replaced the diff and pinion bearings not the axle bearing. He said the axle bearing was okay. Now sure on the U-Joints, but I was told that could be a source too. I really wish I could get a sound clip of the noise. Its deff a howl and not a whining noise. It only happens under load and almost sounds like mettle on mettle at very low rpms. I thought about the tranny mount too? Is there a way I can find out for sure what it is by jacking the car up and letting it run through some gears. What would be the tall tale sign of it being the rear end? I might pull the cover too and change the fluid.
Old 08-29-2009, 04:07 PM
On The Tree

One easy way to verify the noise source. remove the drive shaft and see if the noise is sill there.
I might do that tomorrow. That way I can check the u-joints and tranny mount. I just would remove the drive shaft and start it up and run through the gears? While im at it, I will pull the cover on the rear and check those bearings again. The more I read, the more I beleive it is the rear end which sucks. If the axle bearings are bad the wheel will have a lot of horrizontal play correct? Meaning I can push the wheel in and pull it out a lot more than normal?
Old 08-29-2009, 04:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

The easiest way that I can think of would be:

1.) Securely put the car on a lift or jackstands.

2.) Remove the driveshaft completely.

3.) Cover the tranny tailhousing with something to keep tranny
fluid from coming out.

4.) Start the car and put it in gear to see if the noise is still present.

Let us know what you find.

Quick Reply: Trans/Rearend Howling noise.