Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Problems with the V

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 09:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problems with the V

Hey everyone my names Collin. I'm a fairly new V owner I purchased it back in May and couldn't be happier. Unfortunately I'm having a few problems with my V.

1. Second gear doesnt seem to want to go in inless the car is off otherwise it grinds horribley. If I start the car in second it will stay in second. It also shifts thru all other 5 gears well and the clutch feels fine. I believe it is the second gear syncro any other possiblitys?

2. When I'm goin full throttle between 4500-5500 rpm for a split second the car feels like its looses power then keeps climing. If I accelerate only half throttle this problem doesn't occur and the engine sounds great. I purchased the car with 42k and now I'm almost at 50k so I'm thinking I might just need a tune up and maybe some spark plugs.

If anyone has any idea's on what these problems could be?? Thanks Collin
Old 09-01-2009, 10:25 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Caddi04V
1. Second gear doesnt seem to want to go in inless the car is off otherwise it grinds horribley. If I start the car in second it will stay in second. It also shifts thru all other 5 gears well and the clutch feels fine. I believe it is the second gear syncro any other possiblitys?

2. When I'm goin full throttle between 4500-5500 rpm for a split second the car feels like its looses power then keeps climing. If I accelerate only half throttle this problem doesn't occur and the engine sounds great. I purchased the car with 42k and now I'm almost at 50k so I'm thinking I might just need a tune up and maybe some spark plugs.
Sounds like your clutch might be slipping a little on the second question.
Old 09-02-2009, 07:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=Caddi04V;12158301]Hey everyone my names Collin. I'm a fairly new V owner I purchased it back in May and couldn't be happier. Unfortunately I'm having a few problems with my V.

Syncros sounds like they are gone.
If the fluid was ever changed... and no additive, or incorrect fluid was put in, They are easily eaten away, they are tiny little pads that are very picky. I had a friend ruin his T-56 having the wrong fluid in it.
Old 09-03-2009, 12:13 AM

Thank yu both. I defidently gotta go to the the shop soon. I'm thinking about doing a clutch, flywheel, short shifter and some tranny mounts as well while they're down there.
Old 09-03-2009, 12:45 AM
TECH Addict

Have them install a remote bleeder set up for the clutch while you're in there. It's cheap and will save you tons of time/cussing.
Old 09-06-2009, 11:08 PM

Thanks I defidently will do that!
Old 09-07-2009, 09:13 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Caddi04V
Hey everyone my names Collin. I'm a fairly new V owner I purchased it back in May and couldn't be happier. Unfortunately I'm having a few problems with my V.

If anyone has any idea's on what these problems could be?? Thanks Collin

Collin
Your aware the V has a 1-4 skip shift feature? Has yours been disabled?
Old 09-07-2009, 09:45 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Big Bu Bu
Collin
Even if it hasn't been disabled the trans wouldn't grind. It just locks out.
Old 09-08-2009, 03:16 PM
TECH Addict

Keep an eye open for other gears starting to act up! Just had a friend whos trani went out and it felt like driving on ice! Had to slam the gears in and once they went in we would get high RPM's but no to slow movement...
Old 09-09-2009, 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by Big Bu Bu
Collin
No what exactly is the skip shift?? I'm keepin a eye on all the other gears to. I'm tryin not to drive to much
Old 09-10-2009, 12:08 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

sorry if i didnt get the sarcasm but skip shift at certain rpms will force you to go from 1st gear directly to 4th to improve gas mileage. it is only when you take off very slow and shift really early.
Old 09-11-2009, 11:56 PM

Really?? Thats interesting is that why there is that indicater that kinda looks like >4 under the MPH gauge??
Old 09-12-2009, 01:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

the ONE - FOUR Skip shift, AKA CAGS, aka, Computer Assisted Gear Selection
! (means delete) !CAGS

so what GM ingeneously did was for these cars which were bought for performance not to save fuel, but probably to improve the RATING GM could post for GOV purposes...

the skip shift WILL engage when following conditions are met:
1. you're at 35% throttle or less
2. you're between 24 and 35 km
3. engine coolant temperature is greater than 77 C°

A solenoid installed on the transmission BLOCKS 2nd and 3rd gear forcing you into 4th.
you can unplug the solenoid but then have to deal with service lights.
A resistor, 2.2K would work, red red red red gold, can be used to 'trick' the PCM that the solenoid is connected
or best, using software such as 'THE SUPERIOR' HP tuners...

Quick Reply: Problems with the V