General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

o2 sensor bank1 sensor2 low voltage, gas gauge acting weird, tcs light and abs light

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 11:53 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default o2 sensor bank1 sensor2 low voltage, gas gauge acting weird, tcs light and abs light

my CEL is on periodically and the code says bank 1 sensor 2 o2 sensor is low voltage which i believe has to be under a certain voltage for 2 minutes right? my traction control light and abs lights keep coming on once every other day or so but go off immediately when you turn the car off and back on.. today i noticed about halfway home i had just under 1/2 tank by the time i got within about 1 mile from my house the fuel gauge needle was resting on it's stop, the display said low fuel and the check gauges light was on.. i parked it for about 3 hours and came back and started the car and it went straight back to where it should be! what's the deal? i have a long trip home, do you think it could be draining the main tank and the fuel pump could be lagging behind getting it refilled? not likely i guess, probably just an issue with the sensor?? any help/advice is greatly appreciated!!
Old 09-02-2009, 12:29 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Probably need a new 02 sensor.

Do you have stock sized tires/rims in the rear? If not, thats why your TCS light and ABS light is coming on. Or bad sensors.

Old 09-02-2009, 06:50 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Have you taken a look under the car for any wire/other damage? All of your sensors at issue have wires running under the car.
Old 09-02-2009, 08:43 AM
Launching!

stock wheels and tires, i looked under the car while i had it jacked up in the front to change the oil, didn't see any apparent wire damage, but then again, i couldn't see the back of the car too well.. i will give it a look in a little bit.. i would think if a wire was cut/damaged that the light would stay on all the time, but it only comes on periodically.. and sometimes i will reset the computer and the cel and abs/tcs lights won't come on for like 100 miles or more/less.. it is saying check active handling too i forgot to mention that last night..
Old 09-02-2009, 08:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Sounds like a wire has either burned or scraped the sheathing off and is grounding on something or one of your chassis grounds has come loose.
Old 09-02-2009, 11:32 AM
Launching!

what about the gas gauge? it did it again today.. it was working perfect when i left the house, but about 35 minutes down the road the gas needle just flat dropped and the display said low fuel, but it wasn't saying reserve fuel like it normally does, so that must be a different sensor i guess?
Old 09-04-2009, 08:18 AM
Launching!

well yesterday i got under the car and found a box about 4"x4"x1" with a hard rubber shield over what i assume to be wires.. it was draped over the exhaust just ahead of the rear end on the driver's side.. any ideas what that box may be and how i can go about checking to see if it is the issue? mainly what are the functions of that box? if the traction control and active handling and the gas gauge sensor all run through that box i would have to say it is the culprit, but i need to know what it's functions are.
Old 09-04-2009, 10:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Sounds like the controller for the EVAP system.
Old 09-04-2009, 11:50 AM
Launching!

evap in the rear of the car?
Old 09-05-2009, 11:58 PM
Launching!

anyone know what this box might be on my corvette?
Old 09-06-2009, 01:59 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by fozziejared
well yesterday i got under the car and found a box about 4"x4"x1" with a hard rubber shield over what i assume to be wires.. it was draped over the exhaust just ahead of the rear end on the driver's side.. any ideas what that box may be and how i can go about checking to see if it is the issue? mainly what are the functions of that box? if the traction control and active handling and the gas gauge sensor all run through that box i would have to say it is the culprit, but i need to know what it's functions are.
You have more than One issue here. The box you are refering is part of the evap system, which basically keeps fuel vapors from the tank to entering the atmoshpere. this does not seem to be your problem, but usually hoses crack and leak, and sends an evap code. Your abs sensor is built into your wheel bearing, Check what the code for the ABS is, and you will be able to tell which side, if any questions, tell me the code or codes. and finally the fuel gauge sounds like a fuel sending unit located in the tank with the fuel pump (correct me if Im wrong on the fuel pump)
Old 09-06-2009, 11:54 AM
Launching!

the box just seemed to be a sensor for something like the traction control or something.. i will check the codes and get back to you. thanks so much!
Old 09-08-2009, 04:00 PM
Launching!

i cleaned a couple of my ground connections and it seems to have possibly fixed a couple of the issues.. the collector had corrosion in it.. i am still throwing codes p0137 p1431 c1217(thrown instantly after clearing code and starting car back up) and c1243

C1217 BPMV Pump Motor Relay Contact CKT Open

thats the one that throws immediately..

here are the other 3

C1243 BPMV Pump Motor Stalled
P0137 Heated Oxygen Sensor (HO2S) Circuit Low Voltage Bank 1 Sensor 2
P1431 Fuel Level Sensor 2 Circuit Performance

so all of my issues are narrowed down by the computer, but how do i go about addressing them? i guess the 02 is probably bad, what about the fuel level sensor? what about the bpmv pump, i can't even reason out what that is or where to look for it!?
Old 09-08-2009, 06:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Every C1217 code I have had on a C5 turned out needing a EBCM...kind of a common problem. Get out your checkbook...they run over $1200. There are some diagnostics you can do to narrow it down but its most likely either that or the BPMV. (another expensive part) They are bolted to each other and mounted to the front subframe in front of the p/s pump pulley. Some things to check is the wiring to the EBCM, also check the 40A ABS maxifuse in the fuse block. If you have a DMM you can check the EBCM for failure.

For the o2 sensor it probably needs replaced. For the fuel level sensor, it probably needs the #2 sensor replaced or the float is getting caugt on the tank....the P1431 is common probelem. The C5 cars have 2 tanks...each tank has a sensor. The RH tank has sensor #2 in it.
Old 09-09-2009, 03:48 PM
Launching!

so what is the part that is supposedly under the drivers side door that has to do with abs? could i have a ground loose around that area that is causing all my problems? i was searching another forum and someone on there was talking about some part of the abs system that is under the driver's side.. i got under there and there was a copper strap with a eyelet on the end of it dangling.. i hooked it to the exhaust bolt that is right there at the base of the header.. i never saw that abs system part they were talking about, but i just barely had enough clearance to get under the car with the crappy jack i have.. plus my flash light was broken.. i guess there is somewhere in particular that strap should be connected, i just wonder if it connects to the abs system?

Quick Reply: o2 sensor bank1 sensor2 low voltage, gas gauge acting weird, tcs light and abs light