Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

For those of you who have UMI's Lower A-Arms...

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 06:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default For those of you who have UMI's Lower A-Arms...

Just wondering what your opinion of them are? I've got a set that I'm thinking about using. The factory arms look much stronger than do the aftermarket ones. I just want to hear if anyone has had any issues with them bending/cracking/breaking etc... Also, what kind of driving do you do with them?

Thanks!
Old 09-03-2009, 12:08 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did bend the lower shock mount when I hit a pothole, UMI then quickly sent me a spacer to repair it. I just wish they would post those spacers for sale separately so I can buy some more and stack them to raise the ride height a bit. But with the spacer I can say it is bullet proof
Old 09-03-2009, 12:46 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by some_punk
I did bend the lower shock mount when I hit a pothole, UMI then quickly sent me a spacer to repair it. I just wish they would post those spacers for sale separately so I can buy some more and stack them to raise the ride height a bit. But with the spacer I can say it is bullet proof
I got a set of spacers with my set. You bent the actual mount? Where the spacer mounts to?

Also, how was the alignment process with the aftermarket arms? Easier, more difficult? Any issues you ran into along the way while installing them?

Thanks
Old 09-03-2009, 08:14 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 98RedBird
I got a set of spacers with my set. You bent the actual mount? Where the spacer mounts to?

Also, how was the alignment process with the aftermarket arms? Easier, more difficult? Any issues you ran into along the way while installing them?

Thanks
What happens with the shock mount is this- The F-Body shocks have a very narrow mounting pad where they mount to the A-Arm. If the user is running an adjustable shock on a stiff setting and a stiff front spring the jolt and pressure the shock applies to the A-Arm is much harsher. Since the shock bolts to the A-Arm on such a minimal area the pressure the shock applied to the A-Arm mount is not distributed evenly and only applies pressure to a small area. This can lead to a bend if a large pothole is hit like mentioned above. The shock mounts are usually only 3/4" wide and 4" long while our A-Arm mount is 4" x 6". What we did was build a spacer to sit between the shock mount and A-Arm. This allows the pressure of the A-Arm to be distributed across the entire A-Arm mount and not just the small 3/4" wide spot. With the spacers installed you will have no issues what so ever. The spacers are machine from aluminum so no weight is added to the vehicle either. Here is a picture that shows a QA1 shock mounted to our A-Arm, notice how small the shock mount is compared to the A-Arm mount- http://www.umiperformance.com/catalo...2300aj_LRG.jpg

For adjusting you might not even have to touch them, especially if you are using our K-member. We recommend to set the A-Arms to factory length and use the K-member slots for adjustment... its the same as using the factory A-Arms and factory K-member... just more adjustment in the slots.

Originally Posted by some_punk
I just wish they would post those spacers for sale separately so I can buy some more and stack them to raise the ride height a bit. But with the spacer I can say it is bullet proof
We can sell the seperate, I will try to have them placed on the website this week. They would be $19.99 for (2) plates and they are 1/4" thick... they can be stacked safely as well if needed. Let me know if you are interested.

Thanks!
Ryan
Old 09-03-2009, 09:17 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^^ ryan post pictures
Old 09-03-2009, 02:44 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks for the post Ryan! I am going to go ahead and run the UMI arms. I've also got your K-member so that should make things easier. You will be sending me the bushing replacements in the mail so when I thread them in what is factory length? I remember being told once that it's 7/8" from the top thread below the bushing to the bottom of the jam nut? Is this correct for both the front and rear bushings?

Also, I potentially may be running an iron block in the future, I know the iron block is about 75lbs heavier, will this stress the arms in any way?

Thanks again Ryan!
Old 09-03-2009, 02:55 PM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Big_Bird_WS6
^^^ ryan post pictures
I'll get some pictures of the spacers up shortly... but your A-Arms should have them?

Thanks for the post Ryan! I am going to go ahead and run the UMI arms. I've also got your K-member so that should make things easier. You will be sending me the bushing replacements in the mail so when I thread them in what is factory length? I remember being told once that it's 7/8" from the top thread below the bushing to the bottom of the jam nut? Is this correct for both the front and rear bushings?

Also, I potentially may be running an iron block in the future, I know the iron block is about 75lbs heavier, will this stress the arms in any way?

Thanks again Ryan!
Glad to help and I don't think you will have any issues, also the iron block won't hurt them at all. I attached a picture of the measurement... nothing fancy, I just made it quick. So use 1" on the poly end and 7/8" on the rod ends... the A-Arms are pre-set but most likely have moved.

Hope this helps!
Ryan
Attached Thumbnails For those of you who have UMI's Lower A-Arms...-0013.jpg  
Old 09-03-2009, 03:32 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by UMI Performance
I'll get some pictures of the spacers up shortly... but your A-Arms should have them?

Glad to help and I don't think you will have any issues, also the iron block won't hurt them at all. I attached a picture of the measurement... nothing fancy, I just made it quick. So use 1" on the poly end and 7/8" on the rod ends... the A-Arms are pre-set but most likely have moved.

Hope this helps!
Ryan
Awesome, thanks for the picture. That helped out. So you want 1" of thread engagement for the poly end and .875" (7/8") on the rod end? When I called and talked to your tech, Jerry I believe his name was, I thought he said that you measured that distance from the bottom of the jam nut outward, towards the bushing, and that distance was 7/8" for both.

--Sorry, not trying to be difficult, just trying to get my understanding down. Your picture makes perfect sense, it just contradicted my original understanding. Just trying to get it right.

Thanks Ryan!
Old 09-03-2009, 04:54 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by UMI Performance

Hope this helps!
Ryan
mine didnt come with spacers.

also i too will be send back my rod ends for your poly. and thanks for the pictures
Old 09-03-2009, 09:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

How long have the spacers been included with the A-arms?
I had mine probably around 1 year and didn't get any spacers, but I haven't not had any problems with my A-arms.

By the way, are they available on the UMI performance website yet? I checked but I couldn't find them myself.
Old 09-03-2009, 09:11 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
I had mine probably around 1 year, and didn't get any spacers.
Are they available on the UMI performance website yet? I checked but I couldn't find them myself.
I would probably email Ryan about picking up a set. I'm sure he'll get you squared away. I can see what he's saying though, and why they now include the spacers, the lower shock mount looks quite a bit more sturdy with the spacer included...
Old 09-04-2009, 07:52 AM
FormerVendor

Awesome, thanks for the picture. That helped out. So you want 1" of thread engagement for the poly end and .875" (7/8") on the rod end? When I called and talked to your tech, Jerry I believe his name was, I thought he said that you measured that distance from the bottom of the jam nut outward, towards the bushing, and that distance was 7/8" for both.

--Sorry, not trying to be difficult, just trying to get my understanding down. Your picture makes perfect sense, it just contradicted my original understanding. Just trying to get it right.

Hello
Yes on the poly bushing you want the spacing of 1' and with the rod ends you want a 7/8 spacing from the jam nuts to the threaded end that gets screwed in.

Thanks Ryan!
Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
I had mine probably around 1 year and didn't get any spacers, but I haven't not had any problems with my A-arms.

By the way, are they available on the UMI performance website yet? I checked but I couldn't find them myself.
They have been available since the beginning of the Year. Unfortunately they are not on the web site at this moment, but will be shortly.
Thanks
Brad

Quick Reply: For those of you who have UMI's Lower A-Arms...