Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Koni 4/3 shocks

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 02:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Koni 4/3 shocks

So im about to call Strano since I ordered the shocks from him and waited 3 months to get them, I get on the site to get his phone number and what do ya know... hes out of town for 2 weeks and this weekend is the only weekend ill have for a while to put them on.

Im going to attempt to read these instructions and do it myself but my question for you guys is this... My car is my DD and I want the softest ride since I dont do any autox or drag. How many times, and which way, should I turn the adjuster on the fronts and what about the rears as well? Any tips on install, anything different than other shocks? Ive done 2 different shock installs on my 01 camaro so this will be my third.

Thanks!
Old 09-03-2009, 02:52 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 01CaMMMaro
So im about to call Strano since I ordered the shocks from him and waited 3 months to get them, I get on the site to get his phone number and what do ya know... hes out of town for 2 weeks and this weekend is the only weekend ill have for a while to put them on.

Im going to attempt to read these instructions and do it myself but my question for you guys is this... My car is my DD and I want the softest ride since I dont do any autox or drag. How many times, and which way, should I turn the adjuster on the fronts and what about the rears as well? Any tips on install, anything different than other shocks? Ive done 2 different shock installs on my 01 camaro so this will be my third.

Thanks!
Turning the direction of the + on the shock makes them stiffer... - makes them softer. I don't think you'll like them full soft. Try starting in the middle.
Old 09-03-2009, 02:53 PM
Launching!

I remember Sam telling me that a good starting point on the fronts is in the middle. There is 9 sweeps in the adjuster, so figure 4.5 turns. - is soft, + is hard. I'm not sure about the rears since I have the 4th gens. However, I want to say the majority of people put it 2 turns from full soft. Don't quote me on that.
Old 09-03-2009, 03:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am 2 sweeps from full hard F and one sweep from full soft in R. Many like full soft in rear.

Make sure you position the front shocks so you can access the adjuster between the coils.
Old 09-03-2009, 04:12 PM
TECH Junkie

I would start full soft rear and around the middle in front. Depends on what you consider by "softest ride". Too soft on the shocks will lower the rebound and allow the shocks to basically rebound at a quicker rate, which could make the ride actually worse for you. You should definitely play around with the settings.. even though I didnt. I've been happy with the above described setting.
Old 09-03-2009, 06:33 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by SantaCruz163
I remember Sam telling me that a good starting point on the fronts is in the middle. There is 9 sweeps in the adjuster, so figure 4.5 turns. - is soft, + is hard. I'm not sure about the rears since I have the 4th gens. However, I want to say the majority of people put it 2 turns from full soft. Don't quote me on that.
There are only 8 sweeps, 4 is the middle.
Old 09-03-2009, 07:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I started my adjustment in the middle on the fronts and full soft on the rears.That's how most people like them.I played around with the fronts a little bit.I went 1/2 or a little softer on the front then re adjusted them until they were too stiff and found a sweet spot that I ended up with.Like everybody is saying ,make sure that the adjustment window faces out on the front.You will get the hang of it pretty quickly.
Old 09-03-2009, 07:54 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by transwiz
I started my adjustment in the middle on the fronts and full soft on the rears.That's how most people like them.I played around with the fronts a little bit.I went 1/2 or a little softer on the front then re adjusted them until they were too stiff and found a sweet spot that I ended up with.Like everybody is saying ,make sure that the adjustment window faces out on the front.You will get the hang of it pretty quickly.
+1 I started in the middle on the fronts and a 1/4 turn in the rear. I went one step softer in the fronts and full soft in the rear and really disliked it....so back to where I started. I was going to go one stiffer on the fronts to try but just decided to wait until I put springs on.
Old 09-03-2009, 09:08 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sam recommended to me to start full soft in the rear and halfway or 4 sweeps for the fronts. I have yet to drive it but apparently that's the most popular setup...
Old 09-03-2009, 09:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

4 sweeps from soft in the front and full soft in the rear. Tried alittle more in the rear but the car seemed real bouncy.
Old 09-04-2009, 09:04 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by skewba98z28
4 sweeps from soft in the front and full soft in the rear. Tried alittle more in the rear but the car seemed real bouncy.
A little bouncy over choppy pavement but wow does it handle
Old 09-04-2009, 06:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

awesome! thanks alot for all the recommendations guys! one sweep is 1/4 turn correct? also, how do you adjust the rears on the 3rd gen shocks? I know they are not fully adjustable like the 4th gen rears,but im wanting to go full soft on the rear.
Old 09-04-2009, 07:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

You'll have to remove the shocks first.
http://www.koni-na.com/mono.cfm
Old 09-04-2009, 10:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

when im adjusting the fronts, am i turning the actual strut in a circle to make them stiffer or softer, or am i suppose to turn the allen wrench? seems like I have to drag the actual strut in a circle with the allen wrench? Also, how do I know when im at full soft/full stiff?
Old 09-04-2009, 10:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

No, you're turning a inner shaft that goes down the middle of the outer shock shaft when you sweep the allen wrench from left to right, or right to left.
Old 09-04-2009, 10:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

so am i basically pulling the the strut in a circle with the allen wrench? Does the strut/spring need to be assembled together with pressure on the strut to adjust it?

Last edited by 01CaMMMaro; 09-04-2009 at 10:52 PM.
Old 09-04-2009, 11:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

think i figured it out. I was trying to adjust them without load aka with the spring not mounted on the strut. I had to hold the strut bolt in order to turn the adjuster without the entire strut moving with it.

Quick Reply: Koni 4/3 shocks