Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

4-5 shifting problem at high speeds

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2009, 12:31 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4-5 shifting problem at high speeds

Well the other night, I was out running a trailblazer ss, and could not shift from 4-5 gear. Instead it hit reverse and made a terrible grinding noise. I did still have the clutch in when it did this. It is the second time it has done this since I bought the car. Both times were at high speeds shifting from 4-5 gear. Anyone else ever had this problem?
Old 09-04-2009, 12:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

nope never had a porblem, sounds like a clutch or synchro issue. did you let the clutch out and push it back in and try to shift into fifth again?
Old 09-04-2009, 07:08 AM
On The Tree

Either fix it or drive around it carefully.

"Manual Transmission Description and Operation
• Solenoid inhibit of REVERSE gear during predefined forward motion

Reverse Lockout
A reverse lockout system, consisting of a reverse lockout solenoid which operates a reverse lockout mechanism, is utilized to prevent shifting into REVERSE gear when the vehicle is moving forward at a speed of 5 km/h (3 mph) or more."

This MIGHT be your problem. Solenoid is $197.27 retail so its not cheap enough to just throw a part at it. Probably need to disgnose if your getting 12volts and a lockout signal to determine if the sol is fubar. Circuit A light green is the signal that the sol gets above 3 mph, B is 12v ignition. I would start by simply checking the connector end at the trans to see if its pluged in well or corroded. Its at the rear of trans where the drive shaft comes out.

A
L-GN
Reverse Lockout Solenoid Control

B
PK/BK
Ignition 1 Voltage
Old 09-04-2009, 09:28 AM
TECH Apprentice

I had mine do it at high speed too... it's really annoying. Just be careful, that's all I can say.
Old 09-04-2009, 12:21 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Me also... It was when I first got her. My problem was that I was just pushing to far over. I have been more careful and it hasnt happened since....
Old 09-04-2009, 03:07 PM
On The Tree

do you still have the stock shifter? since i replaced mine i havent had that problem.
Old 09-06-2009, 09:44 PM
Teching In

Yeah it is all stock. I know the Reverse Lockout works because I checked it just to make sure when I was going like 5mph and couldn't move it towards Reverse. Only at high speeds. I will just have to be more careful, sucks when your adrenaline is pumping though and you just want to keep on trucking!
Old 09-07-2009, 08:54 AM
TECH Apprentice

ls2 pressure plates have a recall on them. they build up too much centrifugal force at high rpms and for some reason it causes the pedal to stay low when you go to shift you cant. i rebuilt an ls2 out of a gto and thought i was getting a deal when i got his low mile setup for free but the joke was on me. so far my 3rd and 4th syncros are in horrible condition. best advice for you is to change your clutch setup. hope this helps. but the problem is the pressure plate.
Old 09-07-2009, 09:03 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by adanieljohnson1
Me also... It was when I first got her. My problem was that I was just pushing to far over. I have been more careful and it hasnt happened since....

Exactly the same that happened to me. A little too over zealous with the shifter. Just be carefull and you should be fine.
Old 09-07-2009, 10:57 AM
On The Tree

the reason i say it could be your stock shifter is because the stock shifter is total garbage. theres way too much play in it. when shifting to 5th and the adrenaline is pumping you could actually be hitting reverse instead of 5th. even if that doesnt fix the problem you cant go wrong with replacing the shifter and bushings.
Old 09-07-2009, 01:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sounds like a case of NoBangOgearO. Meaning, ah,..nicely, practice practice practice. Raced against many 6 speed dudes, that can't bang 5th. All kinds of brands,... all kinds of people. If you have a mechanical problem, fine but,.. I don't think you do.
Old 09-08-2009, 04:03 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mjcotroneo
ls2 pressure plates have a recall on them. they build up too much centrifugal force at high rpms and for some reason it causes the pedal to stay low when you go to shift you cant. i rebuilt an ls2 out of a gto and thought i was getting a deal when i got his low mile setup for free but the joke was on me. so far my 3rd and 4th syncros are in horrible condition. best advice for you is to change your clutch setup. hope this helps. but the problem is the pressure plate.
So let me get this straight? At a stop if you rev the RPM's real high (for a burnout) and release the clutch then it will cause the Clutch to stay down? or even try to suck the clutch back down? Cause I had that happen to me the other day! Tried to do a burn out in my V for the first time! Reved up real high Started to release the clutch but felt it get sucked down so I let off the gas real quick... Weird
Old 09-08-2009, 08:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

yep. i hate my ls2 pressure plate. so im swapping to an ls6 i have in my garage tomorrow. it really sucks at the track when you launch at around 4500 and cant accelerate for **** i think because of it i ran something like and 17.6 i had to coast it the whole way down the track with the pedal half way down. i swapped my slave when i did the ls2 swap so i know my slave is good, and i was reading a bulletin at work about the corvettes, cts-v's, and gto's. its a known problem. so if i were you i would either stop racing until you get a new clutch or if you have extended warranty take it in and get it replaced or just replace it because like i said it has completely fucked my third and fourth synchs. so tomorrow instead of making money im swapping my pressure plate, doing a rear main seal, rebuilding my trans and putting a new rear end in. only clutch and rebuild are due to ls2 pressure plate but to answer your question. yes thats exactly wat it is. sorry that you had a little bad luck and got one of the few bad ones.
Old 09-08-2009, 08:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

also now that i see that your in the dfw area. we can arrange a time for you to bring it to the dealership where i work and we can work out a price to do it up there.
Old 09-08-2009, 08:56 PM
Launching!

The gto's do have this problem often with the pedals. If you guys haven't changed your clutch fluid it would probably be a good idea. I have to turkey baster mine or else the fluid goes from clear to dark grey in a matter of weeks. Sucks i know, but seems to be the only temp fix.
Old 09-11-2009, 06:02 PM
Staging Lane

Same thing has happened to me 2 different times now. Both times i was racing someone, so it may have just been my fault. If i'm just shifting fast normally(if that makes sense) it doesn't do it.

Quick Reply: 4-5 shifting problem at high speeds