Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Did a head swap and now my car runs like crap.. if at all

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2009, 07:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Did a head swap and now my car runs like crap.. if at all

Well, put a set of 243's on my car over the past couple weeks. Got it started today,... sorta
First I have to sit there an crank it for some time before it starts...
Then when it does start, half the time it sputters and dies right away, the other times it revs up to like two grand, sits there, and then settles into a high idle.

Two things that I have noticed, where the EGR connects to the exhaust there seems to be a leak, and there is also a minor vacuum leak at the egr intake connection.

Anything else I should be looking for?

Also if I push the gas, it dies...
Old 09-04-2009, 08:21 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the little rubber gasket where the EGR connects to the intake manifold can and will fall in your intake and cause a vacuum leak if your not careful. Sounds to me like you already found your problem. Vacuum leaks can make these cars run like complete crap and of course cause it to idle high as well...
Old 09-05-2009, 01:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also make sure you got the grounds on the back of the heads hooked up.
Old 09-05-2009, 02:43 AM
Launching!

throw the EGR in the garbage and buy block off plates
Old 09-05-2009, 07:53 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Also did you remember to hook-up the small vacuum connection on the back of your intake along with the larger brake booster line? Also ensure the back of the head is grounded and also check the connections at the front of the intake - PCV, valve cover line, etc. Also what heads/cam/intake are you running?
Old 09-05-2009, 10:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Ok, so I fixed the EGR leaks, but have not had a chance to start it up yet, I don't have the exhaust hooked up and didn't want to wake the neighbours so I'll give it a shot this afternoon.
I do agree about junkin the EGR, I just thought I'd wait until I got an LS6 intake... but it's a hastle already.

When I get home, I will double check the vacuum lines at the back of the block. I may have forgotten a little one or something... all the big ones are accounted for.
The ground at the back of the head is attached.

I'm sure it's something small... I hope anyways.
I'm not running an aftermarket cam, the 243 heads are my first mod.
Old 09-05-2009, 05:01 PM
TECH Addict

When you say the exhaust is not connected - where is it disconnected?
Old 09-08-2009, 12:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DaddySS
When you say the exhaust is not connected - where is it disconnected?
The exhaust is disconnected behind the cat on the drivers side. I tried to bolt it back up, but it seems like it's still leaky a bit, as it's pretty loud.

With the intake leak fixed, the car runs LESS crappy.. but that's not saying much.
When I start it up, it revs up to about 2500.. sits there for a second, then slowly decreases idle.
It drives around fine, but when not in gear, at a light or something... it sometimes starts to die. Sometimes it'll drop down to like 300rpm and then rev back up, at other times it'll actually just die...

Also seems to miss a bit when in gear until about 2500 and then it pulls like crazy and runs fine.

Ideas?
Old 09-08-2009, 01:59 PM
11 Second Club

i had this same issue and it was a bad tps sensor...it also needed tuned..
Old 09-08-2009, 03:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by FiFdYnUtz
i had this same issue and it was a bad tps sensor...it also needed tuned..
I'll look into that, since I have the Zex kit I had to tap into that wire, I'll check the connection.
Anything else? I just don't get it.. totally is acting like a vacuum leak but I don't see one anywhere.
Old 09-08-2009, 04:45 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by IRONFIST
The exhaust is disconnected behind the cat on the drivers side. I tried to bolt it back up, but it seems like it's still leaky a bit, as it's pretty loud.

With the intake leak fixed, the car runs LESS crappy.. but that's not saying much.
When I start it up, it revs up to about 2500.. sits there for a second, then slowly decreases idle.
It drives around fine, but when not in gear, at a light or something... it sometimes starts to die. Sometimes it'll drop down to like 300rpm and then rev back up, at other times it'll actually just die...

Also seems to miss a bit when in gear until about 2500 and then it pulls like crazy and runs fine.

Ideas?

I tuned a boltons car that had 243s swapped on it and it only picked up 4rwhp and lost a couple down lower. If you had the heads off, why did you do all of that work and leave the stock cam in there? Those heads can provide a nice gain with a different cam..
Old 09-08-2009, 06:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Get some throttle body cleaner and spray it around your intake while its idling. If you have a vacuum leak it will get sucked in and the idle should drop quite a bit.
Old 09-09-2009, 10:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Frost
I tuned a boltons car that had 243s swapped on it and it only picked up 4rwhp and lost a couple down lower. If you had the heads off, why did you do all of that work and leave the stock cam in there? Those heads can provide a nice gain with a different cam..
Intake's next, then cam... all in due time.