Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

okay guys, be gentle

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2009, 06:04 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default okay guys, be gentle

okay guys, i have a powerdyne BD-11 that i got for diiirt cheap! i know they're not the best on the market, but boost is boost isnt' it??

is there anyone who's run one of these on the LS1 cars?? i have a stock 33k Z28, with LT's, LS6 manifold, and no cats.

i'm not looking for mega HP numbers, just a lil extra something for the daily driver. i really don't want to do a cam and heads just yet.

just looking to see if anyone has rocked the powerdyne, and had either a good, or bad experience with it.
Old 09-05-2009, 06:45 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've dealt with a few.Seems like they support 400-450rwhp max.Also they love to break the internal belt.

We don't recommend them.
Old 09-05-2009, 07:05 PM
Staging Lane

that's what i've heard. but as far as just running it at like 6psi for daily driver purposes shouldn't have too many issues should i???
Old 09-05-2009, 07:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes, you are without a doubt, going to have issues. Might not be right now but, in like 5 whole minutes, you will. They're that bad. Seems like back ten years ago they were ok but, Idon't understand how. Every single one I have seen in the past 5 years, are all bad or already broken. Good friend found one cheap, bought it, broke the belt shifting gears,.. upgraded belt, drove it once, broke that, sent back, another upgraded belt, broke that, sent blower to dude, upgraded everything, drove once, broke that. Not to mention all the escalades that I have had the pleasure of saying **** YOU POWERDYNE too.... as I seem to always be blessed with dealing with customers that had the blower installed somewhere, eons ago, and wonder what the "rattle" has been inside the blower since tey have owned it. Alot that I get at work seem to be coming apart.

I'd sell it, and be done with it. Take your time and find another brand head unit somewhere. Not worth the time and headaches.
Old 09-05-2009, 07:56 PM
TECH Resident

I agree, that blower is just gonna be a big waste of your time and effort. You might as well install a leaf blower and would probably get the same power output.
Old 09-05-2009, 09:02 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I ran a used setup for a couple years with no problems. I didn't like the way the air intake ran up by the brake block so, I made it go into the drivers side area just ahead of the wheel. I had removed the heat pump so there was plenty of room. Get a manual belt tensioner. That way you can set the belt tension rather than rely on the spring loaded factory unit. Consider having new bearings and a kevlar belt installed so you know what you have when you start. I was at 5 psi with the 6 psi setup. And it does make a nice boost in power, but does not compare to the air flow of the procharger or Vortech. Here is a site with individual install data and photos
http://www.bocchicchio.com/powerdyne/powerdyne.htm
Old 09-06-2009, 07:45 PM
Staging Lane

ooookay, i know it has a fresh rebuild, and kevlar belt, but i'm not quite sure i want to go and spend the money to finish everything and just have it break on me...
Old 09-07-2009, 01:39 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by charlie6178
ooookay, i know it has a fresh rebuild, and kevlar belt, but i'm not quite sure i want to go and spend the money to finish everything and just have it break on me...
I wouldent bother with it even with the rebuild. If you just want a small boost then a p1sc procharger will do it. I would stay with something proven. You may pay twice as much havin that thing installed and working and in the end it wouldent be worth it. 400-450 can be done with heads and cam with supporting bolt ons, Hell a 150 shot will get you close if not there.
Old 09-07-2009, 11:18 AM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If it only supports 400-450hp......what a freakin waste. But a nitrous plate kit and go make 550whp for under a grand.
Old 09-07-2009, 12:26 PM
TECH Addict

wohooaaa thanks for the blast from the past

Blackbird install photos FTW.

that was good times, early days of LS1 FI.
Old 09-07-2009, 08:23 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by Blackbird
wohooaaa thanks for the blast from the past

Blackbird install photos FTW.

that was good times, early days of LS1 FI.
That was a long time ago. the old LS1.com days.

Cant believe you still have all that online.
Old 09-07-2009, 10:49 PM
TECH Addict

big time long ago. remember selling your mac mid-lengths to me way back when kp?

my first "tune" with my powerdyne was a MAFT and a resistor in the IAT on a window switch!!

did the trick and made almost 400rhwp which back then was a pretty darn good.
Old 09-07-2009, 11:10 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by Blackbird
big time long ago. remember selling your mac mid-lengths to me way back when kp?

my first "tune" with my powerdyne was a MAFT and a resistor in the IAT on a window switch!!

did the trick and made almost 400rhwp which back then was a pretty darn good.
Yea, I remember the old MACs, they didnt work too bad. It was pretty cool when everything was new on these cars. My first P1SC 'tune' was a MAFT + 38lb injectors from Steve's (justMe) Vortech kit, autotap and a lot of luck lol.

There was a guy in Chicago that used to have a powerdyne too back in the day and he did OK with it, cant remember his name..
Old 09-08-2009, 09:47 AM
TECH Addict

Chris is who your thinking of I do believe.

and those mac's are still in use today on my buddy's TA making 650rwhp!

Quick Reply: okay guys, be gentle