Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Synchro install quote...

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2009, 02:54 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Exclamation Synchro install quote...

Ok, so I'm potentially going to install some new synchros on a T56 for a local f-body owner here and I don't know what to quote him. I did a search on the subject, but all I could come up with were write-ups on how to do it. I don't want to bone him over, but want to get paid for my work at the same time. So, how much does it usually cost to get the synchros replaced on a T56 assuming all parts are bought by the customer and only labor needs to be charged (dropping tranny, tearing down tranny, installing synchros and re-installing tranny)? I need to give this guy an honest quote for the work. Any help is greatly appreciated guys.
Old 09-12-2009, 11:03 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Krab
Ok, so I'm potentially going to install some new synchros on a T56 for a local f-body owner here and I don't know what to quote him. I did a search on the subject, but all I could come up with were write-ups on how to do it. I don't want to bone him over, but want to get paid for my work at the same time. So, how much does it usually cost to get the synchros replaced on a T56 assuming all parts are bought by the customer and only labor needs to be charged (dropping tranny, tearing down tranny, installing synchros and re-installing tranny)? I need to give this guy an honest quote for the work. Any help is greatly appreciated guys.

Well, only YOU know what your time is worth. How long it will take YOU to finish teh job. Most can have a tranny out and on teh floor in @ 1-2 hours, and @ teh same amount of time for teh reinstall. So, 4 hours there.

Rebuild, that is up to you. If replacing synchros, tranny has to be brought all teh way down, and no since it putting "stock" pieces back in. Time to upgrade pads/keys/blocking rings/fork....

have you ever rebuilt a T56 before? If so, you know how many hours it will take you, and charge accordingly. Say it takes you 10 hours, what do you think you are worth on teh hour? Then times it by 14 (rebuild 10 hours and take out/install 4 hours)
Old 09-12-2009, 10:07 PM
TECH Addict

Yeah, I've rebuilt my tranny before and it actually wasn't all that bad. Just a bit time consuming is all. Thanks!
Old 09-12-2009, 10:33 PM
Banned

We charge $250 for the bench labor on a T56 and $185 for a T5 to give you an idea. I'm not saying that you should charge that, its just a ball park.
Old 09-13-2009, 07:35 PM
Teching In

book time and half local shop labor hours seem fair to me... if somethign goes wrong hes comming back to you to fix it. if hes providing his own stuff its kinda a pain too cause what if he gets the wrong parts then your hunting around for the parts to fix it etc. " im not saying he is gonna do that...he might be the T56 master for all i know" but im just saying look out for yourself when doing side jobs.
Old 09-23-2009, 01:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by thesource
We charge $250 for the bench labor on a T56 and $185 for a T5 to give you an idea. I'm not saying that you should charge that, its just a ball park.
bench labor as in, them bringing you the tranny and your building it?
Old 09-23-2009, 03:21 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by bongva
bench labor as in, them bringing you the tranny and your building it?

Yes, that is correct. Just the labor (no parts), with tranny brought to you, is refered to as "bench labor". And is pretty much what we charge on labor as well.....
Old 09-25-2009, 10:33 AM
TECH Apprentice

Ok, that well what would be the labor difference on a rebuild verse just swapping out the synchro's for 1 I 2? Apparently my 1st to 2nd synchro's are bad on the tranny I just bought and the junkyard I bought it from said they will take care of the parts, but I have to pay labor. My dad's old tranny man said he would charge $200 for bench labor, but he needs to tear it down to inspect.

Quick Reply: Synchro install quote...