Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

fast intake install trouble

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2009, 11:25 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fast intake install trouble

so i bought a used fast 90/90, in excelent shape. i ported it and put it all back together. i didnt get any instuctions with it or any extra bolts other than what was in the intake. so i put it on and as i start to tighten it i wasnt very tight at all on a back bolt and i heard something sound like it cracked. i decided to continue to put it on (stupid) and i got everything bolted up and started the car. its now idleing about 1100 and if you touch the gas it comes down to about 2100 and holds for like 5-10 seconds before it comes down. i then called my tuner to see if i prob cracked it or if it was maybe in the tune. he then told me i was supposed to change the valley cover bolts and that i mostlikely cracked it on the stock bolts. anyway my question is what bolts am i supposed to run in the valley and where to get them? and i havent pulled the intake back off yet but what is a good apoxy i can used to try to fix the intake and is it even possible?
thanks
Old 09-12-2009, 11:41 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by blue99fbody
so i bought a used fast 90/90, in excelent shape. i ported it and put it all back together. i didnt get any instuctions with it or any extra bolts other than what was in the intake. so i put it on and as i start to tighten it i wasnt very tight at all on a back bolt and i heard something sound like it cracked. i decided to continue to put it on (stupid) and i got everything bolted up and started the car. its now idleing about 1100 and if you touch the gas it comes down to about 2100 and holds for like 5-10 seconds before it comes down. i then called my tuner to see if i prob cracked it or if it was maybe in the tune. he then told me i was supposed to change the valley cover bolts and that i mostlikely cracked it on the stock bolts. anyway my question is what bolts am i supposed to run in the valley and where to get them? and i havent pulled the intake back off yet but what is a good apoxy i can used to try to fix the intake and is it even possible?
thanks
the intake gets torqued down to inch lbs. not ft. lbs. That could be your first problem.The 90mm fast should be fine with the stock valley cover bolts. It's the 92mm that need sthe different valley cover bolts cause it sits lower than the 90mm. My 90mm fast was fine with the stock valley bolts and has been on and off the car at least 4 times with no issues
Old 09-12-2009, 01:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

The FAST 78, 90, and 92 all come with M8 x 1.25 x 30mm button head allen bolts to replace the stock valley cover bolts. You can get these bolts at most hardware stores. According to the FAST instructions, the bolts must be changed to prevent manifold damage. I've seen this time and time again.....
Old 09-12-2009, 01:55 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 02SOMWS6
The 90mm fast should be fine with the stock valley cover bolts. It's the 92mm that need sthe different valley cover bolts cause it sits lower than the 90mm. My 90mm fast was fine with the stock valley bolts and has been on and off the car at least 4 times with no issues
It's not just the 92, all of them should be used with the shorter bolts. The first time i installed mine (90) I cracked it in a couple places, luckily they were only small cracks on the outside and it didn't crack all the way through so no leaks.
Old 09-12-2009, 01:59 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 405HP_Z06
The FAST 78, 90, and 92 all come with M8 x 1.25 x 30mm button head allen bolts to replace the stock valley cover bolts. You can get these bolts at most hardware stores. According to the FAST instructions, the bolts must be changed to prevent manifold damage. I've seen this time and time again.....
maybe they come with the other bolts now but when the 90mm first came out they didn't come with it. Thanks for the heads up guys
Old 09-12-2009, 01:59 PM
10 Second Club

thanks
try some JB weld
Old 09-12-2009, 02:01 PM
TECH Addict

maybe they come with the other bolts now but when the 90mm first came out they didn't come with it. Thanks for the heads up guys
Your correct. At the very beginning some of the 90's didn't come with the required valley cover bolts.
Old 09-12-2009, 02:31 PM
10 Second Club

Ok I just got the intake off there are indentions from the bolt heads and two stress cracks that don't look like they are all the way through maybe the bolts were just preventing the gaskets from a good seal. Anyway can I just grind off about half the head of the stock valley bolts or do I have to change them? Thanks guys
Old 09-12-2009, 02:43 PM
11 Second Club

Make sure you look inside the intake and make sure it didn't crack all the way through. As for the bolts I would just replace them, but I'm sure a little grinding would work just fine.
Old 09-12-2009, 02:52 PM
TECH Addict

Ok I just got the intake off there are indentions from the bolt heads and two stress cracks that don't look like they are all the way through maybe the bolts were just preventing the gaskets from a good seal. Anyway can I just grind off about half the head of the stock valley bolts or do I have to change them? Thanks guys
Replace, FYI, this is what a button head allen bolt looks like. Look for M8 x 1.25 x 30mm

Old 09-12-2009, 03:20 PM
10 Second Club

Also one of the philips head screws on the bottom has oilly gas running from it so could my leak be comming from there
Old 09-12-2009, 04:18 PM
10 Second Club

my 90mm just happens to be off the car. I went and checked it out and there are no cracks but you can see where the valley bolts where touching. I'll be changing them before it goes back on the car. Last outing the car went 10.5 @ 130 so I know there are no cracks but it does seems messed up that Fast sold a bunch with out the valley bolts in the begining and if you didn't call with a issue then they didin't tell you. Glad I found out now. I had my 90mm Fast ported by Tony Mamo. Do you know how pissed I would have been if I cracked the bottom half and had to have the port work done over.For once luck was on my side.
Old 09-12-2009, 04:34 PM
11 Second Club

seems messed up that Fast sold a bunch with out the valley bolts in the begining and if you didn't call with a issue then they didin't tell you.
It's messed up they keep selling stupidly expensive throttle bodys that stick constantly too, but they dont seem to care
Old 09-12-2009, 05:05 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by NSSANE02
It's messed up they keep selling stupidly expensive throttle bodys that stick constantly too, but they dont seem to care
Old 09-12-2009, 05:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

why should they care, they have a monopoly, we can't go anywhere else for a product like theirs.
Old 01-11-2010, 09:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm Having Another Problem. I Was At A Friends Helping Him Put On His FAST 90/90 And We Couldn't Get It To Sit Down And Seal All The Way... It Looked Like It Was Hitting The Front Of The Metal Cooling Line That Runs On Top Of The Valley Cover. Anyone Else Have Any Other Issues Other Than The Bolts?
Old 01-11-2010, 10:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also, On The Hoses That Go From Your Intake To The Valve Covers, I've Seen Some With And Without Them. How Much Impotance Do These Have And What Is Necessary To Take Them Off? I Also Noticed That The Coolant Line Coming From The Radiator Doesn't Have A Spot To Connect To The 90/90, Can I Cap That Off Or Where Does It Need To Go?
Old 01-12-2010, 05:43 AM
Staging Lane

You can grind down the stock bolts and it will work.

Quick Reply: fast intake install trouble