Introductions & Greetings New to the site? Say hello!

LS1 With A LS6 Block Stroked 382

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2009, 08:02 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up LS1 With A LS6 Block Stroked 382

Hi everyone I've just bought a 98 Z28. It has not made it to me yet. My builder has me feeling worried at this point. Telling me that more than likely it's not what it was said to be. I is to have a LS6 block stroked 382 not 383 bored 40 over. I have a turbo kit (sts) to put on it and a meth. kit. I know I need to get my C/R down with different pistons. I also know that I need a lot bigger injectors than what came with the kit and I'm going with 2 fuel pumps in the tank and 8an fuel line and bigger fuel rail. I might end up selling the sts kit. Because my builder has talked me into doing a front mount turbo and intercooler. He said that it was better. The FMT&FMI is what I know. I also have a 89 TTA #13. I was going to build it but once I took the motor out and trans. I just couldn't do it. So I got to put eveything back in it and probably sale it to. I don't know if I can trust the builder or not. The way he talked that the motor is going to have to come out take the crank out and everything to make sure it is what the guy said it was. I do agree with that but I'm not sure if he will tell me right about what it is. So how can I tell if the crank is the Calies 382 crank and how do I tell if it has been bored 40 over? He also said need to put ARP bolt in everything. The cam he said will have to be replace more than likely. Because the guy couldn't give me the lobe seperation of it. I know I will want to stroke it more. But I dont want him to tell me it is stock crank and me sale it as a stock crank. How does one tell if the block is a LS6 Block. I was going to get a HPTuner to tune it and he said that I would have to go to school for it and that they was only 3 tuner close to me to tune it. He has a dyno to help with the tuning. I dont know it is just way he went about it all made me feel like he was going to try and get as much money out of me. What would be the best turbo to get that will be good for about 900+ rwhpl. I want to do this right the first time, so I am not changing part out all the time to make more power. Well that's all for now, take care to all.
Old 09-13-2009, 08:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

oh gah... cant bore a ls1 40 over... cant bore any aluminum ls motor 40 over... u can stroke it to 396 and thats it, but you wont be doing forced induction with that high of a ring landing prlly... next time u buy a car... ask us first.. best of luck, hope u didnt get screwed, but it sounds like u did friend.... oh and ls6 blocks didnt come factory in 98, unless he just put it in himself...
Old 09-14-2009, 12:18 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by t/a98
oh gah... cant bore a ls1 40 over... cant bore any aluminum ls motor 40 over... u can stroke it to 396 and thats it, but you wont be doing forced induction with that high of a ring landing prlly... next time u buy a car... ask us first.. best of luck, hope u didnt get screwed, but it sounds like u did friend.... oh and ls6 blocks didnt come factory in 98, unless he just put it in himself...
He said that he had the LS6 block put in.
Old 09-14-2009, 01:24 PM
TECH Resident

just for future reference when you write a lot please space paragraphs after say...5 sentences for easier reading. its hard to follow a big block of cheese. you will get more responses that way.
Old 09-14-2009, 06:49 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by airforcemanss
just for future reference when you write a lot please space paragraphs after say...5 sentences for easier reading. its hard to follow a big block of cheese. you will get more responses that way.
You are so right about that. I was just going on about my thought, that I never gave no thought about it. I will repost it, thanks.
Old 09-14-2009, 07:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i might be wrong.. but if he had the block machined and resleved you can make a 382, you make it a 4.125 bore and leave the stroke stock... but that would cost like.. 1400 for the ls6 block.. plus about two thousand for labor and new sleeves... so if its that, u have a very expensive block... but. thats not 40 over haha... damn just let us know what u got when u get it.. i feel like u got lied to bad though...
Old 09-14-2009, 08:09 PM
TECH Veteran

Probably should have went with the 370. Popular opinion is they are better for boost and N/A both, often times. That's just Internet BS regurgitation, though. Take it with a grain of salt. There are several 383 Vs. 370 threads.
Old 09-17-2009, 12:30 PM
TECH Regular

i might be wrong.. but if he had the block machined and resleved you can make a 382, you make it a 4.125 bore and leave the stroke stock... but that would cost like.. 1400 for the ls6 block.. plus about two thousand for labor and new sleeves... so if its that, u have a very expensive block... but. thats not 40 over haha... damn just let us know what u got when u get it.. i feel like u got lied to bad though...
I emailed he and asked him about what you said. He said that what you said was probably right. That he couldn't remember all the details about it. Because to much time had past by. He just knew told them what he wanted and that when it had the LS1 block he had talked to them about it. The told he something about resleved to him.

The car is suppose to be here next week. Can't wait! I just hope it is what he said it is.
Old 09-17-2009, 01:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

heres to crossed fingers, i was scammed on here once, but oh well. live and learn, i try to look out for fellow techs now haha
Old 09-17-2009, 08:32 PM
TECH Regular

heres to crossed fingers, i was scammed on here once, but oh well. live and learn, i try to look out for fellow techs now haha
He was probably on here at one time. Because he is the one that told to be about this site. When I get it I will take some pic. of it and put on here. Maybe someone will know the car and give me some info on it if they know anything about it.
Old 09-17-2009, 08:53 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by craig382ci
I emailed he and asked him about what you said. He said that what you said was probably right. That he couldn't remember all the details about it. Because to much time had past by. He just knew told them what he wanted and that when it had the LS1 block he had talked to them about it. The told he something about resleved to him.
LOL, IMO, if he actually said he couldn't remember but the guy in this thread was probably right... you're getting screwed. Like t/a98 said, it's an expensive option and most people wouldn't go that way.

Personally, I'd never buy anything from a guy who says he "can't remember" important details about a build.
Old 09-17-2009, 09:05 PM
Teching In

Doesnt sound good at all, and seems like u got alot planned for smthing u dont have yet. By the look of it ur gonna have alot more planned, if u find out he was bsing u, th@ motor is deff not bored .040 over, goodluck tho
Old 09-18-2009, 09:13 AM
TECH Regular

I would say the truth be told. It is just a stock LS1! My heart is in my stumic now. Because I should have done my home work. I found this website that sells Callies 382 stroker kit. This is the info/specs.

Crankshaft stroke 4.000

Rod Length 6.125

Dish/Dome -8cc

Engine Bore 3.898

CID 382

Compression Ratio 10.6

I had never heard of a 382 until this car. But because of this site http://www.rpmmachine.com/stroker-lunati-ls1.shtml I just felt that he was telling the true when I seen this.