Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kill this rasp. Powerstick guys, step in.

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 06:41 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Kill this rasp. Powerstick guys, step in.

My LT's and ORY are in, however it sounds like utter ****.
I knew it would be a bit raspy, but not this bad.
And with the cut-out open it's ten times worse than through the stock catback.
Here is what I'm thinking, after a lot of reading and sound clips I'm pretty set on turning my I-pipe(where the cut-out is mounted) into one long power stick.
I know I need to figure out what length to get first.
But wanted to know what the powerstick users out there thought.
I know it will not rid me of all the rasp, but it will probably make it so it doesn't sound like a bag of smashed ********.
Honestly, for the price of buying one and having it welded in, it's a hell of a lot cheaper than the other options out there.
And of course it sounds pretty good to my ears.

And of course the longer the better (that's what she said)for the muffler sound wise.

Thanks.
-Matt
Old 09-14-2009, 07:28 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

why dont you get a pair of highflow cats. on a dyno they were shown to only lose 5hp at the crank, which is 1rwhp.
Old 09-14-2009, 07:31 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Installing a Flowmaster Merge collector on my car got rid of the rasp... I had a shitty Pacesetter Y-pipe.
Old 09-14-2009, 08:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

You can get a Magnaflow stainless steel Y 2.5" in/out 3", or a 3" in/out for $27
http://cache.autoanything.com/images...low_y_pipe.jpg
Old 09-14-2009, 08:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Went the powerstick route on my LM1 and while it didn't quite sound like a "bag of smashed ********" it didn't help much. I too suggest a Flowmaster merge, maybe with a powerstick if there's enough room. If you're still running the stock cat back though I suggest stepping up to a new one. I went with the Hooker and it sounds good.
Old 09-14-2009, 09:39 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

With my LT's and GMMG it took FM merge, cats, a powerstick (technically a power"pack"), and resonator tips to kill all the rasp. Some guys have success with one or two of those items, but I found that each one helped a little and the cumulative effect was enough to solve the problem. Moral of the story: a powerstick might help but don't be surprised if it alone doesn't fix it.
Old 09-15-2009, 12:14 AM
TECH Regular

Okay, reading more and more I see that the FM merge seems to be a good idea.
However can I have someone hack up my exsisting first gen TSP ORY and weld it together with the FM merge?
I just don't want to completely waste the ORY I have right now and have one put together from scratch.
I'd like to try and use some of what I already have.

Anyone here ever do that?
Old 09-15-2009, 03:48 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by MattxFatal
Okay, reading more and more I see that the FM merge seems to be a good idea.
However can I have someone hack up my exsisting first gen TSP ORY and weld it together with the FM merge?
I just don't want to completely waste the ORY I have right now and have one put together from scratch.
I'd like to try and use some of what I already have.

Anyone here ever do that?
If you have the tools and time, anything is possible..haha

Here is exactly what I did......

Originally, I ordered two 45 degree mandrel bent pieces hoping it would fit. It would not. Only one fits for the driver side. On the passenger side, I actually just reused part of the original Y, cut the other pipe off and patched it. After That I went to AutoZone and got a 18" piece of 3" pipe and cut it to length.

This is a camera phone pic, but you can see on the passenger side where I patched the hole. The whole passenger side of this exhaust is Pacesetter.

The driver side is the 45* and straight piece... You can see how I cut the front at an angle to make the straight piece fit.

Hopefully this helps a lot. I did all this piecing together without a lift..haha Not much fun on jackstands.

Now my only problem is clearance. That 4" Bullet is massive and I can't tuck it up any higher. Ground clearance is lacking.

Disclaimer: This is how I did it. If you are using an exhaust shop, obviously you wouldn't have to MacGyver the original pipe like I did.

Last edited by jetlag; 09-15-2009 at 03:56 AM.
Old 09-15-2009, 04:08 PM
TECH Regular

Well it looks like it came out really nice.
I don't have the welder or know how to do it myself, so I will probably buy the merge and take it somewhere and have them piece it together.

However with my cutout under the backseat, I wonder if I will have enough room for a powerstick. Any idea how far back that merge extends?
Any advice would be a big help.
Like I said, I just want to try and use my TSP ORY even if its just for parts to be hacked up.
Just don't want to compeltely go another route.
-Matt
Old 09-15-2009, 05:51 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by MattxFatal
Well it looks like it came out really nice.
I don't have the welder or know how to do it myself, so I will probably buy the merge and take it somewhere and have them piece it together.

However with my cutout under the backseat, I wonder if I will have enough room for a powerstick. Any idea how far back that merge extends?
Any advice would be a big help.
Like I said, I just want to try and use my TSP ORY even if its just for parts to be hacked up.
Just don't want to compeltely go another route.
-Matt
It's farther back than my original setup, and I even shortened the FM merge a little bit..that joker is kind of long..

But an exhaust shop would be able to make it fit.
Old 09-15-2009, 08:24 PM
11 Second Club

Jetlag what muffler is that on your car and is it as quiet as the one you had before.
Old 09-15-2009, 08:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Merge collectors and cats aren't going to do much for the rasp. You'll be better off spending your money on getting the bullet muffler in the I pipe. That will be more effective IMO.

I had a GMMG muffler put in my I pipe and it killed all the rasp.
Old 09-15-2009, 08:46 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by JScamaro
Merge collectors and cats aren't going to do much for the rasp. You'll be better off spending your money on getting the bullet muffler in the I pipe. That will be more effective IMO.

I had a GMMG muffler put in my I pipe and it killed all the rasp.
The GMMG muffler is a power stick IIRC.
You said it got rid of it? What Y do you have?
Old 09-15-2009, 08:48 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Atver300
Jetlag what muffler is that on your car and is it as quiet as the one you had before.
4" DynoMax Bullet. The car is still about the same loudness, but the rasp is gone and it sounds deeper. A few people have noticed the difference and gave compliments.

Originally Posted by JScamaro
Then why is 99% of the rasp gone from my car? hah Have you ever seen inside of a Pacesetter Y-pipe? The "merge" they have is absolutely horrible.
Old 09-16-2009, 02:10 PM
TECH Regular

The first gen TSP ORY has a horrible merge as well.
When I looked at it I knew it was going to cause me some headaches.
Something about exhaust gases exiting the car in such a violent matter due to the merge didn't sit right with me.

Quick Reply: Kill this rasp. Powerstick guys, step in.