Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chrome Moly or Mild Steel Roll Bar?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2003, 02:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Chrome Moly or Mild Steel Roll Bar?

Went to the track, and just barely need a roll bar now. After I get new gears & intake & get the car tuned, then I will most likely need the roll bar for sure.

Looking at the Wolfe 6-pt.'s since they are on sale right now and becasue I like the swing out bars option. I had to weld in cages before, not my favorite thing to do and don't really want to do all that welding to a daily driver, which is why I am leaning towards a bolt in bar.

Is there any other benifit to justify the cost of a chrome moly bar over the mild steel bar other than the weight issue? Does anyone know really how much of a weight different is there between the two? Is there any other place/company that makes a good quality bolt in bar for the f-bodys? If you have a bar (or cage) in your daliy driver, how do you like it, any problems? Whats the difference between the low slung and straight bars? Any pics of the two?

Thanks for the help & advice.

Last edited by SebastianLopezJr; 11-30-2003 at 02:57 AM.
Old 11-30-2003, 11:58 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

FWIW, I got the wolfe CMoly 6pt with the down bars and the over the seat rear bars, weld in.. As it was shipped to me with all the plates and such it weighed 65.5 lbs.
Old 11-30-2003, 02:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

to make the rollbars NHRA legal, the downbars have to be welded to the hoop (the bolt in bars are only bolted in as shipped by wolfe which is not legal)

that being said...chromemoly (CM) needs to be TIG welded which is harder to find a qualified person to do this. Mild steel (MS) can be MIG welded which more people have acess to. CM is lighter (about 2/3 the weight of MS)
Old 11-30-2003, 02:30 PM
8 second mod

Spend the $$$ once. I wish i did, now i have to do it again because im looking to save moore weight.
The wolff fits great!!!
Old 11-30-2003, 05:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Cool. Thought I read somewhere those bars had to be welded, was not 100% sure. That should not be too big of a deal. Thanks for the help & suggestions.
Old 11-30-2003, 09:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how much does the mild steel weigh if CM weighs lbs.

97lbs? if its 2/3rds?
Old 12-01-2003, 09:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Can the down bars be welded outside of the car? OR do they has to be welded inside for install?
Old 12-02-2003, 05:46 PM
10 Second Club

Hey SLJ we need to hookup sometime and run em. Im Jason M. from the other board. P.S. show those times and represent. Later.
Old 12-02-2003, 05:53 PM
On The Tree

Does anyone know what the ruling is on the T-top cars as far as wether or not we need a full cage or just a 6 point to be elgible to run 10.99 or a little faster. I am right on the brink. Would like to know since Wolfe has this special going on.
Old 12-04-2003, 09:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by J2KSS
Hey SLJ we need to hookup sometime and run em. Im Jason M. from the other board. P.S. show those times and represent. Later.
Hey Jason. We got a new web filter at work now (Monday after Thanksgiving) and the other board is now blocked for me, all the pop ups there. We need to run sometime, not running as fast as yours but I'd give it my best. Probably going to the car show thing on the 13th at Evadale unless it's just too cold.

DEVIATE, not sure what the rule is. I got a 2004 NHRA Rulebook yesterday in the mail, I'll try to look that up and see what it says & post it tomorrow.

I decided to go with the Wolfe 6pt. Chrome Moly. Gonna order it before the end of the year becasue of the sale, not sure when I'll install it though. The TIG welding part (luckly) is not a problem for me since my father is a welder and has put full cages in cars before. Thanks for the help/suggestions everyone.
Old 12-04-2003, 12:20 PM
10 Second Club

I may go also on the 13th. Joey H. and I are going to HRP this Fri shooting for new bests in good air. Im hoping for some 11.40s. Im puting an air bag on this sucker to help it get hooking with the new verter and gear. Ill holla at you if I go to Evadale.
Old 12-04-2003, 03:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by J2KSS
I may go also on the 13th. Joey H. and I are going to HRP this Fri shooting for new bests in good air. Im hoping for some 11.40s. Im puting an air bag on this sucker to help it get hooking with the new verter and gear. Ill holla at you if I go to Evadale.
Sounds good. Best of luck to you two at HRP on Fri. Night.