Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Basics on Solenoids please....

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2003, 03:01 AM
Restricted User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Basics on Solenoids please....

Ok, after spending a few hours cleaning out the NXL kit, and replacing bad O-rings, I put it together and noticed the stud and nut assembly on top of the solenoids was loose. So, I tightened it some. Now, I went out to test the fire the solenoids after installing a new switch, they all click on and off. Then, for some odd reason I tried to fire the kit in the garage, bottle closed, just to make sure the wiring of the switch was good, figure itll only dump in enough fuel (at 180hp jets) to flood the car, notta problem. As it idled, I armed it, then flipped the WOT switch by hand, click, but no fuel, no flooding WTF? So, I pull a line off the rail, and yep hit it again, no fuel shooting out *scratching hair, wanting to cry*. I am curious if maybe the stud and jam nut on solenoid is supposed to be not all the way tight, or what else, trash (but blocking both rails-doubt it!), or what???
Old 11-30-2003, 03:48 AM
Restricted User

And yes there is more than adequate fuel pressure. I went out and loosened the jam nuts some, and test fired again, and still no fuel. Loosened the fuel rail adapter fitting and voila fuel. So, theres fuel in the rails, but not getting thru the solenoid? They click open and closed, at least audibly!
Old 11-30-2003, 10:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I know this isn't much help but every time I have taken a solenoid apart to clean it the top nut has always been pretty loose. I wonder if overtightening might have damaged something?

Jeffrey
Old 11-30-2003, 12:33 PM
Restricted User

Yeah, I noticed that also, so when I tightened it, I only went a little bit, like snug. The Nitrous noid works! Think it has been not workign for sometime, my runs went from 11.1 to 11.6. I used Nitrous for sure, had to refill the bottle, but not so sure about the gas now. Will be calling Dave in the morning.
Old 11-30-2003, 01:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Let us know what you find out. Good luck!

Jeffrey
Old 11-30-2003, 03:44 PM
Restricted User

well, I need to wait for the car to cool off, but my friend and were discussing this issue and he noted that I really cant tell if the solenoids are clicking, the vibration is pretty solid in the rail, so maybe the solenoids werent actually cycling. Will test with a jumper wire in a few. *crossing fingers thats the problem*
Old 11-30-2003, 04:32 PM
Restricted User

Not quite sure how this happens unless it is a fluke, but both fuel solenoids are bad. That might explain why i only used about two bottles before I slowed way down. This sucks. Well, NX does have a solenoid warranty, so will be calling Dave in the morning. Hopefully he will be able to work with and send me two new ones and then I return these, since if I take them off I cant drive the car-something about fuel pouring out, not cool. Drats, rainy weekend, now no fuel noids.
Old 11-30-2003, 06:57 PM
Restricted User

For clarification, the part that is bad, is the plunger, or actual opening orfice assembly, the outer half, the magneto part is firing, all them do, but both fuel stems/noid whatever are stuck closed. At least I am happy they are closed, not open!
So, looking at it, it takes a special tool, like a wrench for screw on watch casings or something, to replace these things, if they can be replaced! I hope i dont have to send this in, I will be screwed for transportation!
Old 11-30-2003, 10:43 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

may not be of much help but I've had line lock solenoids quit on me......... while the damn thing wuz ingaged, wtf, well after disconnecting it and taking it apart and putting it back together it some how worked, had this happen a few times on different ones, take it apart and hit it with a hammer, lol, maybe it'll work, lol, j/k, well dave might be understanding and send you new ones before you have to send back the old ones!
Old 11-30-2003, 11:19 PM
Restricted User

Wow, havent heard from you in a while. Thought about taking it apart, but if the O-ring doesnt reseat then I need a ride to Lowes or deal with a 1/2" hole in the side of my rail! ill be calling Dave hopefully bright and early. Have Hi-Tech class to run in on the 6th.
If not, apart they come!
Old 12-01-2003, 01:03 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah man, I havent had internet access for a while, verizon "accidently" cut the line, took them weeks to fix!, ya like the sig pic, took it a few days ago up the canyon
Old 12-01-2003, 09:15 AM
TECH Apprentice

to help clarify your situation the "stud" should be tight. if it is loose this can cause leaks as well as faulty operation. as well the nut should be "snug" the outer cover just keeps debris from the magnetic portion of the noid. you can't really over tighten with hand tools. i also hate to ask but do you have the FP safety switch installed like most NX systems come with? if so try by passing that to test the system when it is fully connected on the car.. i am sure the guys at NX can help you out as well. hope all works out for you.
Old 12-01-2003, 08:36 PM
Restricted User

No FPSS here. Yeah the tower itself was tight, but the jam nut on the mag hat was relatively loose. But it ends up I am uninstalling and sending it back to NX. Josh will look at it, repair whatever Tower, piston etc, except the magnet, but those are all good. So, it will be back hopefully before the races Sat, the 6th, yes I am paying extra for the overnight. Oh well.