Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cam gurus, lend me your ears

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2009, 09:41 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default cam gurus, lend me your ears

i was talking to a guy at a shop the other day about my car. at first he was saying my cam was too big, then he drove the car and now he says it's too lazy and i need a bigger one, lol. my current cam is an MTI R1 cam (.575/.578 lift, 232/236 duration, 114 lsa). he was saying that it's a big cam that they threw a 114 lsa on so that it would idle and have street manners. what he suggests is something somewhere around a 244 duration, and he insists on a 110 lsa, and let the lift fall where it may. it seems pretty damn big to me, my car is just cam, boltons, and a 150 shot. for those of you that are good with cam specs, what do you think? these guys that i was talking to build a LOT of old school stuff that is downright nasty fast, but i don't think that they have a lot of LS experience at all. the reason i like them is that they are honest and straight shooters. I've been screwed over by a couple of shops and i'm looking for an honest one. these guys definitely seem honest, but some of the stuff they say just makes me wonder if they can really do LS work, lol.

for those who want to know my setup, it's easier to send you to my fquick, which is in my sig. just look at the Camaro
Old 09-18-2009, 10:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

I think they probably just aren't up to date with the LS based engines! not they aren't good at what they do it's just the lack of knowledge! I have a cam that specs like this 238/244@.50 .588/.610 lift on a 110LSA and I drive this daily! it made 414rwhp with stock 2002 engines with no other mods except full exhaust and a lid!
Old 09-18-2009, 10:11 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Omega Doom
I think they probably just aren't up to date with the LS based engines! not they aren't good at what they do it's just the lack of knowledge! I have a cam that specs like this 238/244@.50 .588/.610 lift on a 110LSA and I drive this daily! it made 414rwhp with stock 2002 engines with no other mods except full exhaust and a lid!
ok, so then it would work. that's one of the things that crossed my mind with a cam that's that extreme was the PTV clearance and if it would even work with out valves slapping pistons. that answers that question. right now the car makes 388hp on motor through a stalled auto, so it's really not too bad, but it's also how and when the car that makes the power that's important, that i understand. thanks for your input sir
Old 09-18-2009, 10:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

a shorter LSA would bring the power in a little sooner but If you like the cam I say keep it. Its probably a pretty good n2o cam with that LSA and your definitly not making bad power with it.

I dont know where you are in TX compared to all the shops but it seems like texas is the mecca of LS power with Texas Speed, LMR, and Scoggin's just to name a few. It might be worth your time to make the trek to one of the big LS shops in texas to get the expert opinion.
Old 09-19-2009, 07:11 AM
Launching!

I'm in Houston, so there's plenty around. already got dicked around by one of the bigger shops. just trying to stay away from the herd this time if you know what i mean.
Old 09-19-2009, 11:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

That just sounds like a bizarre cam suggestion. I would follow my instincts and 'shop' around.

I am not a salesman at all, but I know Texas Speed has done extensive research on dozens of cam durations and LSA's. I tried to view your signature to see if you had after-market heads, but somehow just missed it.

You are lucky that you have so many shops in Texas. We have none (no LS1Tech sponsor shops) in the entire region.

I would keep doing your homework. Increasing cam duration to that point and then suggesting a 110 LSA seems unusual. Do they have any examples of how that setup worked before?

Things to think about.

Good luck.

..WeathermanShawn..
Old 09-19-2009, 11:53 AM
Launching!

the heads are stock 853 castings. 99 year model only casting. i do have patriot dual gold springs good to .650 lift, so my options are really pretty open on what cam i want to get. he says he can get the car running 11.50's on motor with the cam he's suggesting and a stall to match it. if it runs that on motor, it'll be pretty nasty on a 150 shot i would think.

i was thinking the specs were a little unusual as well. he's dead set on the 110 lsa, says that's the only way it'll make good power and cut a good ET

he says the cam that's in my car would be a good 6 speed cam, so i'm thinking if i do put another one in the Camaro, i'll take that cam and put it in the Firehawk because it's a 6 speed
Old 09-19-2009, 12:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

What size stall you have with the cam you have in the car right now. The size of the stall needs to work with your cam. That counld have the car feeling a lazy, but I can be worng.
Old 09-19-2009, 12:19 PM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

This is the think big approach; big cam, big stall, big hp and good track numbers.

What are your goals? I dont hink its a good idea for a DD.

Originally Posted by Omega Doom
So they dont have good knowledge but they spec a cam similar to yours that youre happy with??? I dont get it
Old 09-19-2009, 12:23 PM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

110 lsa will bring the power earlier and torque so it wont feel as big for a 244 duration cam. You wont need to rev it to the moon this way. 110 is pretty rough for a DD, best power is made around 110-112 I read somewhere here though.
Old 09-19-2009, 12:59 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 98z8uup
What size stall you have with the cam you have in the car right now. The size of the stall needs to work with your cam. That counld have the car feeling a lazy, but I can be worng.
i wholeheartedly agree, and that's the same thing they are telling me. they want me to get that cam and then a stall to match it, which makes a lot of sense to me.

the stall that's in the car now is JUNK. i took another shop's advice and got a rebuilt 3500 Vig that's supposed to be a 3500 but the car starts moving at around 2400 rpm. i need to replace it, but i'm not going to get another stall until i decide what to do with the cam

Originally Posted by Johnnystock
This is the think big approach; big cam, big stall, big hp and good track numbers.

What are your goals? I dont hink its a good idea for a DD.
you're right, and that's another thing they told me. they said to make the car as fast as possible on motor and then spray it. the car is definitely not a DD. it's a street car and always will be, but i only drive it on the weekends

Originally Posted by Johnnystock
110 lsa will bring the power earlier and torque so it wont feel as big for a 244 duration cam. You wont need to rev it to the moon this way. 110 is pretty rough for a DD, best power is made around 110-112 I read somewhere here though.
i thought the power comes in later with a 110 lsa? i was always told that's the good thing about the 114 lsa on my cam was that it has a broad power curve
Old 09-19-2009, 01:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I do not know, the way I have my setup on a 110 LSA is to have the IVC at ~42 degrees. So my HP/TQ starts way earlier, with peak HP at about 6000 rpms, then falls slowly.

You get a lot of conflicting views on LSA's, but I think you have to look at the entire valve events (duration,exhaust, ICL, etc).

Sounds like the OP has some big power goals in mind, so my example of a 110 LSA, may not be up his alley.

I just think it is smart to get a second professional opinion, along with the help of the LS1Tech members (no offense).

..WeathermanShawn..
Old 09-19-2009, 01:32 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by WeathermanShawn
I just think it is smart to get a second professional opinion, along with the help of the LS1Tech members (no offense).
that's why i'm asking