Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

anyone modified the stock sending unit for #10?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2009, 12:25 PM
TJ
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default anyone modified the stock sending unit for #10?

anyone got any shots of your set up if it exists?
im more or less leaning to drilling out the sending unit and running a #10 bulkhead out the top.
i run stock style exhaust and really dont have the room for sumping the tank.
im not even sure if there is room to clear the floorpan with what id like to do.
a nasty tank would be nice, but its not in my budget.
Old 09-19-2009, 08:03 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The stock connector will support over 1000rwhp.... How much power are you trying to make? -10 seems like way overkill.
Old 09-19-2009, 08:27 PM
TJ
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Lonnies Performance
The stock connector will support over 1000rwhp.... How much power are you trying to make? -10 seems like way overkill.
what size is the stock line in 4th gens?
my 3rd gen line is a 3/8 feed, but i have access to a 4th gen tank and sender if i need it.
Old 09-19-2009, 10:22 PM
8 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I modified the stock steel tank sending unit for -10 feed and -8 return. 90* bulkhead fittings is what I used. It took quite a bit of modding to get it all in there and had to weld the pump hanger to the sending unit hat.
I don't have any pics, but someday I will pull it back out and take some. There has been a lot of interest in my triple pump setup.
Old 09-20-2009, 10:06 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

The 4th gens use a 3/8" like your car.

If you are running a 3rd gen tank, dual pumps are nearly impossible to fit inside due to the small tank opening. A single intank needs no more than the stock connectors or stock lines.

If going external pump, put the fitting on the bottom of the tank, do not make it draw through the top of the tank... then a -10 pickup makes sense.

I do a lot of 3rd gen setups & I use the LS1 tank with a dual intank setup. If you want a plug-n-play 4th gen conversion, let me know, I make them to plug into your stock wiring along with the correct sender to make the gauge work properly.
Old 09-20-2009, 12:57 PM
TJ
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Lonnies Performance
The 4th gens use a 3/8" like your car.

If you are running a 3rd gen tank, dual pumps are nearly impossible to fit inside due to the small tank opening. A single intank needs no more than the stock connectors or stock lines.

If going external pump, put the fitting on the bottom of the tank, do not make it draw through the top of the tank... then a -10 pickup makes sense.

I do a lot of 3rd gen setups & I use the LS1 tank with a dual intank setup. If you want a plug-n-play 4th gen conversion, let me know, I make them to plug into your stock wiring along with the correct sender to make the gauge work properly.
this is a carbed setup. i need high volume low pressure.
was looking at a magnafuel or a BG style pump with a bypass, so i dont have to run a return line to the front.
save weight, money, and clutter under the car and under the hood.
i could use 2 in tank pumps, but then i would need to change my regulator, and also plumb a return line. its an option, but not something i wanted to do.
Old 09-27-2009, 12:22 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

TJ, can you not do like mine and come out of the bottom of the tank with a fuel cell fitting and still keep the pump out of the heat? Your pump now probably gets heat from where it is anyway. Maybe since your dump is on the drivers side you could mount the pump on the passenger side.........oops, I forgot you still have the line running up in the stock location. Nevermind. If you plumbed it the way I did and run #10 hard line along the sfc's on the passnger side it wouldn't be that hard. That roll of aluminum line isn't to pricey either from Bill and Stan. You could even have what's in mine if you wanted it. I won't need any of mine till January now. I have the fitting s and everything in the back hatch if you wanted to go by and ****** it up. Whatever I got that you could use dude......... it's yours. Good luck and hello from the sandbox!!
Old 09-27-2009, 08:54 AM
TJ
TECH Junkie

thanks bill!
with my diesel muffler in the back, i really dont have room for anything.
i dont mind running lines. i had planned to rip it all out and start from scratch.
looks like chris hunter had posted up he done the same thing with a plastic tank in an ls1 car.
i know the plastic tank is a lil different than the metal version, but they looked nearly identical when i had them side by side. i never measured anything, so i cant say for sure.
going to run 6.20 mean street today. ill let ya know what it runs with the new gear and another 14 pounds off the car.
you comming home in jan for good or just for a quick stay?
Old 09-27-2009, 01:47 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'll be home at least until storm season kicks off again. Start flying hard again as always then.
Hey, I got my fuel cell fitting through Bill and Stan, turned it 90 degree's and went braid to the pump, solid line from the pump to the filter and over to the right side where the right tailpipe used to exit to go over the axle and forward. I think it would clear all you exhaust the way I'm doing it. I hope it will anyway because I think I'm going to toss the true dual setup to get that 4" mufflex setup also. Not sure what muffler I'll get with it yet but I think I'm going to try and make it look stock with the dual outlets. I need to have another look at yours when I get home to see if I'll have to build any heat sheilds for it. Good luck with the 6.20 class today. We KNOW that beast will run the numbers!!
Old 09-27-2009, 05:09 PM
9 Second Club

I just put a bulkhead in the bottom of my tank and ran an in line Walbro 255 for my carbed setup. Works like a charm. I have a -8 feed and a -6 return.
Old 09-27-2009, 07:58 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,099 Likes on 721 Posts

You should get on the phone with and get stuff from him, he is an expert on all different combos including low pressure carb setups.