Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vindicator + Dart 205's + lq9 bottom end = fit?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 04:04 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Vindicator + Dart 205's + lq9 bottom end = fit?

as the title says will this fit?

is there anyway to measure PTV without actually measuring using clay?

looking for .080"/.100" clearance at a minimum

calculator/math?

heads are Dart 205's and have 2.02/1.60 valves, 62cc combustion chambers w/ harland sharp 1.7 rockers.

cam specs @ .050" are

240/244 .605/.596 112 LSA and installed straight up.

SCR = 11.80:1

DCR = 8.5:1

Chad

Last edited by Nimitz87; 09-24-2009 at 04:44 AM.
Old 09-24-2009, 06:30 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

You can use a dial indicator to measure PTV or in a pinch feeler gages with check springs. Stop the piston 20 degrees before the top of the exhaust stroke and then with the dial indicator on the valve stem retainer push down on the valve stem until the valve contacts the piston, rotate 2 degrees and repeat. Continue until you are about 20 degrees past the top of the piston travel. Repeat on the exhaust. If you don't have a dial indicator then you need to set up a solid base (similar to a rocker) so you can use a feel gage to make the measurement.
Old 09-24-2009, 06:44 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by vettenuts
You can use a dial indicator to measure PTV or in a pinch feeler gauges with check springs. Stop the piston 20 degrees before the top of the exhaust stroke and then with the dial indicator on the valve stem retainer push down on the valve stem until the valve contacts the piston, rotate 2 degrees and repeat. Continue until you are about 20 degrees past the top of the piston travel. Repeat on the exhaust. If you don't have a dial indicator then you need to set up a solid base (similar to a rocker) so you can use a feel gauge to make the measurement.
so for all of this I need the cam then...is that how people do it, buy a cam and hope it fits and then measure?

or am I missing the boat here by a nautical mile?

Chad
Old 09-24-2009, 07:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Nimitz87
so for all of this I need the cam then...is that how people do it, buy a cam and hope it fits and then measure?

or am I missing the boat here by a nautical mile?

Chad
i was wondering the same thing. i'm doing a similar build and have been looking for a way to do it without the cam. i figure if you know exactly how far the piston comes out of the hole, the compressed gasket thickness, and the free drop on the valve there should be a way to figure how much room you'll have. if i can find any info that sounds legit i'll let you know
Old 09-24-2009, 07:45 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by outkast6991
i was wondering the same thing. i'm doing a similar build and have been looking for a way to do it without the cam. i figure if you know exactly how far the piston comes out of the hole, the compressed gasket thickness, and the free drop on the valve there should be a way to figure how much room you'll have. if i can find any info that sounds legit i'll let you know
Thanks I definitely appreciate it and please post it up if/when you do.

those numbers are pretty attainable

Chad
Old 09-24-2009, 08:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Yes, you need the cam. Unless you can find someone who has the same setup and has measured to figure out where you are, but you should still measure.

Note: I found an error in my first post and fixed it.
Old 09-24-2009, 09:10 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by vettenuts
Yes, you need the cam. Unless you can find someone who has the same setup and has measured to figure out where you are, but you should still measure.

Note: I found an error in my first post and fixed it.
well I mean how do I know something even remotely fits...do I just get spec'd out a cam and guess and then measure?

I plan on measuring regardless of what cam I go with...but would like an idea of what fits vs what doesn't....

this is frustrating.

Chad
Old 09-24-2009, 09:30 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Call Ron, he will do it all for you. They have ALWAYS been a big help with me on this kinda stuff. They know their ****, after all it's their cam.
Old 09-24-2009, 09:37 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Chris05ssTruck
Call Ron, he will do it all for you. They have ALWAYS been a big help with me on this kinda stuff. They know their ****, after all it's their cam.
great idea...lol. seriously I'll call them now.

Chad
Old 09-24-2009, 09:45 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Chris05ssTruck
well just got off the phone w/ Ron and he said it wouldn't fit and I would have to cut reliefs, said they have gone up to .100" on the stock pistons but I wouldn't have a problem with anything under .80"

said at most I would need is probably .50-.60" but obviously to measure than cut.

so I guess that's the route I'll go when the time comes.

Chad

Quick Reply: Vindicator + Dart 205's + lq9 bottom end = fit?