Sponsored by: DashLynx

LTx HID custom (true) projector bi-xenon install

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 06:37 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default LTx HID custom (true) projector bi-xenon install

Well,
I finally got around to starting the re-retrofit (I did a complete HID write-up on my H4 mains and H3 fogs about 2 years ago, just search my screen-name if you want to look at the old install) of my 96 LT1 WS6 for a TRUE set of projector, not the fake projectors that I currently have installed I'm still building my mini vacuum table for making the custom clear (acrylic (probably)) lens covers. Many of you have probably seen (Blackbird WS6's (Brian)) HID retrofit; this will be fashioned very similar to his setup. I will be making some new additions to that basic setup. I hope to be able to make the clear lens covers in some capacity to warrant producing a few every couple of months for LTx guys that would like to perform a TRUE PROJECTOR HID conversion.

Here is my parts list and a few pics of items:
1. AMP to DS2 converter cables (I currently have a HID setup with H4's)
2. FXR true projectors (These are the same thing as the bi-xenon FX35's
except you don't have to trim the bracket tab mounting points. It comes
already trimmed. both projectors are brand new, glass lens, DS2, pigtail for bi-xenon hookup)
operation (HI/LO)
3. 4300k DS2 bulbs
4. Vacuum table

FXR (bi-xenon, glass lens, pre-trimmed housing, amp to DS2, shrouds)

PS: I need someone with an extra set of LT1 headlight housings to donate or sell them real cheap (so I can make my mold for the clear lens). Somebody hook me up
Old 09-24-2009, 07:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking forward to seeing your completed setup.

I've been working on mine too for some time now.. It's been on hold for a while though. Vacuum table was the easiest part to do. I just finished sanding my mold down. Already have one assembly completed, need to do the other and then make the lenses. I followed Brian's guide as well, but I'm going a little different direction. I wanted to make my housings sealed and water tight to reduce the risk of any moisture building up or water getting inside. Was a big concern of mine after seeing how open the FX projectors really are. I'd donate my old headlight if it didn't break into a million pieces during the molds expansion. Good luck man, cant wait to see what you come up with.
Old 09-24-2009, 08:01 PM
12 Second Club

Jason,
Appreciate the offer on the headlight (mold). I really want to come up with a method of making the lens (cover), so more people can enjoy a proper LT1 HID setup I'm really looking forward to having a crisp and clean cutoff line !
Old 09-24-2009, 09:54 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Can't wait to see the results and improvement upon my original design. I may be buying parts off you guys soon enough.

Jason - Just a FYI, I've driven with my headlights in really bad downpours (not often) and have had zero issues with water/moisture. Not saying it wouldn't happen but I do understand your concern. Proper ventilation will be important though so keep that in mind for your design.
Old 09-24-2009, 11:16 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Good Start. I've added this to the Lighting FAQ:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...hting-faq.html
Old 09-25-2009, 11:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where did you get those projectors? I'm about to start mine too but i really need to be schooled in projectors!
Old 09-26-2009, 12:12 AM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by evilZO6
Where did you get those projectors? I'm about to start mine too but i really need to be schooled in projectors!
I'm not the OP, but I'd guess he got them from The Retrofit Source (either directly from their website or on ebay). Their website address is pretty obvious.

Check out the HID Planet Forums for plenty more info on projector retrofits in general (using various projectors including these).

The FX-R projector is a replica of the FX projector. The output is like a modified FX projector (clear lens, sharper cut-off, and has mounting ears added for easier installs). Some people prefer the stock FX. Some people prefer the FX-R. Its pretty much personal preference. The stock FX has a softer, yellower cut-off line. The FX-R has a sharp blue cut-off line. The stock FX can be modified to look like the FX-R.

If you are wondering about the model number, the FX projector is the projector from a Infiniti FX35 & FX45 SUV.
Old 09-26-2009, 04:34 PM
12 Second Club

VIP 1 is correct

I purchased from TheRetrofitSource, ask for Matt and tell him Mike sent you. VIP actually gave a very good description of what the FX and FX-R are all about. I wanted the FX-R for the sharp bluish cut-off (looks very clean), and I also wanted to make sure I had glass len's with no scratches. When I get my vacuum table up and running I will be trying an initial run of clear covers
Old 09-26-2009, 04:39 PM
12 Second Club

Blackbird (Brian), I did not want to suggest that my setup would be better, just modifying your original concept in hopes of producing a slightly different result.
Old 09-26-2009, 06:55 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 96silverram
Blackbird (Brian), I did not want to suggest that my setup would be better, just modifying your original concept in hopes of producing a slightly different result.
By all means improve upon it as it will probably inspire me to go forward with some of the crazy ideas I have in my head.
Old 09-27-2009, 12:29 PM
12 Second Club

Brian, do you happen to have an extra set of headlight trim rings, and the black headlight buckets ? If so, let me know.
Old 09-27-2009, 08:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

subscribing to this one as well!

Quick Reply: LTx HID custom (true) projector bi-xenon install