Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Car wouldnt start today!! 2nd time this happened...

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 06:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Car wouldnt start today!! 2nd time this happened...

Ok ya'll, about 1 week ago I went to start my car and it was dead! No power, no clicking from the starter, nothing... I popped the hood and checked my battery connections! They seemed fine so I tried it again and she cranked up like there was no issue in the first place... Ok, was confused about that one but let it go and planned on going to have my battery checked... Well today I tried to start my car again in the parking lot and she was dead just like last time!!!! WTF???? Again I checked the battery connections, then cranked her right up???? I hen went and picked my son and daughter up at daycare and she cranked right up again! This time I got an error message that said "Service Theft system". I was thinking maybe the battery in my fobb or even a fuse??? what the hell should I do people???
Old 09-24-2009, 06:52 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

its sound like u have a bad connection on ur battery,ck and see if there any corrosion on the battery terminals
Old 09-24-2009, 07:05 PM
On The Tree

Sell the Car.
Old 09-24-2009, 07:11 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by cts-vls6
its sound like u have a bad connection on ur battery,ck and see if there any corrosion on the battery terminals
I already checked the battery terminals and even cleaned them just incase but they looked almost new! What threw me off was the "Service Theft System" message that came up on my navigation...

Originally Posted by CtsVrod
Sell the Car.
What? Your just mad because I have the fastest color...
Old 09-24-2009, 08:03 PM
Teching In

Have u actually disconnected the terminals fromthe battery? Being a former AAA roadside tech. That's what it sounds like to me
Old 09-24-2009, 08:49 PM
-T-
TECH Enthusiast

do all the lights and gadgets come on when you turn the key to "ON" and then everything goes out when you go to "RUN" but nothing happens? This happens to me. If you trace your Power wire to your starter, you will see there is a tight area for the control and power wires to run to. There is a spacer on the starter power terminal. I think this spacer builds up corrosion and inhibits good connection. Shake your power wire once or twice in the direction of the starter, and viola... she cranks!
Old 09-24-2009, 10:34 PM
On The Tree

Man that happen to me a few times in the past weeks too. But my battery postive connection was just kinda loose so kept havin to tighten it .. lol Anyways hope you fix ur porblem bro.
Old 09-25-2009, 05:00 PM
On The Tree

Same thing was happenning to me, and the car is still at the dealer. Could be the crankshaft sensor, wiring harness, or bad computer is what I'm being told.
Old 09-25-2009, 06:41 PM
TECH Addict

Another weird thing that happened was my sun roof stopped working when it happened and my driver side window took a while before it would auto role up for me.. Im gonna take her to the dealership on monday to get it checked out...
Old 09-25-2009, 07:19 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by adanieljohnson1
Ok ya'll, about 1 week ago I went to start my car and it was dead! No power, no clicking from the starter, nothing... I popped the hood and checked my battery connections! They seemed fine so I tried it again and she cranked up like there was no issue in the first place... Ok, was confused about that one but let it go and planned on going to have my battery checked... Well today I tried to start my car again in the parking lot and she was dead just like last time!!!! WTF???? Again I checked the battery connections, then cranked her right up???? I hen went and picked my son and daughter up at daycare and she cranked right up again! This time I got an error message that said "Service Theft system". I was thinking maybe the battery in my fobb or even a fuse??? what the hell should I do people???
You get no power in the car at all? Or just nothing happens when you try to crank it. The key has a chip or something in it that the car has to recognize. Do you have a spare key that you could try?

Another weird thing that happened was my sun roof stopped working when it happened and my driver side window took a while before it would auto role up for me.. Im gonna take her to the dealership on monday to get it checked out...
Sometimes you have to reset the auto up/down on the window for it to work correctly. You do that by pressing and holding the bottom down til the window is all the way down and then press and hold it all the way back up. Then it will work again. I have to do that quite often and I hardly ever even drive my car.
Old 09-25-2009, 08:20 PM
Banned

whats your milage and is it the stock battery?

Cause it sounds to me like thats all it is..

My car was acting funny, then one day it didnt want to start.. then it was fine for a week or 2 then it happend again. changed the battery and havent had a issues with it since.
Old 09-25-2009, 08:33 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by maxspeed96ct

My car was acting funny, then one day it didnt want to start.. then it was fine for a week or 2 then it happend again. changed the battery and havent had a issues with it since.
Yeah, that's true also. My car did some weird **** when the battery was dying.
Old 09-25-2009, 10:56 PM
Staging Lane

sounds like what happened to me. out of the blue it does nothing. theres power the door chimes n **** work but when u crank it theres nothing. (i may have heard a little relay click once but it was quiet) when i jump it it does start tho. yet the battery is almost brand new. i was parked right next to the local Cadillac dealer when it happened (lucky) so they jumped it for me and took a look he said the battery is good but there was corrosion on the starter pos terminal. so they cleaned it up and it was good but he said if that dont work and it happens again later the starter is the next on the chopping block.
Old 09-26-2009, 07:12 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by -T-
do all the lights and gadgets come on when you turn the key to "ON" and then everything goes out when you go to "RUN" but nothing happens? This happens to me. If you trace your Power wire to your starter, you will see there is a tight area for the control and power wires to run to. There is a spacer on the starter power terminal. I think this spacer builds up corrosion and inhibits good connection. Shake your power wire once or twice in the direction of the starter, and viola... she cranks!
No, everything has no power.. I hope its the battery and plan on taking it to get tested... I plan on testing the altinator when I get off work today but not sure what to do about the sun roof...

Originally Posted by V-CIOUS
Man that happen to me a few times in the past weeks too. But my battery postive connection was just kinda loose so kept havin to tighten it .. lol Anyways hope you fix ur porblem bro.
I checked all the connections and they look fine. I even cleaned them to be safe... I think my cars just mad at me cause I havent modded her yet! lol

Originally Posted by 1actsv
Same thing was happenning to me, and the car is still at the dealer. Could be the crankshaft sensor, wiring harness, or bad computer is what I'm being told.
For sure let me know what they say! Hope its an easy fix for you too.

Originally Posted by JonCR96Z
You get no power in the car at all? Or just nothing happens when you try to crank it. The key has a chip or something in it that the car has to recognize. Do you have a spare key that you could try?

Sometimes you have to reset the auto up/down on the window for it to work correctly. You do that by pressing and holding the bottom down til the window is all the way down and then press and hold it all the way back up. Then it will work again. I have to do that quite often and I hardly ever even drive my car.
I get power when I first stick the key in. I then turn the key and all power is lost... Never really experianced this before... Doesnt seem like its just a dead battery or dieing battery

Originally Posted by maxspeed96ct

I have 53k on the car now... Ill have to check it out but it doesnt seem like it would be the battery...

Originally Posted by TomJoeC88
sounds like what happened to me. out of the blue it does nothing. theres power the door chimes n **** work but when u crank it theres nothing. (i may have heard a little relay click once but it was quiet) when i jump it it does start tho. yet the battery is almost brand new. i was parked right next to the local Cadillac dealer when it happened (lucky) so they jumped it for me and took a look he said the battery is good but there was corrosion on the starter pos terminal. so they cleaned it up and it was good but he said if that dont work and it happens again later the starter is the next on the chopping block.
I may change out the wires to the battery just to see if that fixes it...
Old 09-26-2009, 12:11 PM
TECH Junkie

I get power when I first stick the key in. I then turn the key and all power is lost... Never really experianced this before... Doesnt seem like its just a dead battery or dieing battery
So everything is fine, then you turn the key and nothing has power. Sounds like a short or something on the starter.
Old 09-26-2009, 01:03 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by JonCR96Z
So everything is fine, then you turn the key and nothing has power. Sounds like a short or something on the starter.
Both times it happened I popped the hood shook the battery wires a little and it started up... I plan on having everything checked out on monday but I hate having to deal with it while I wait... lol
Old 09-26-2009, 01:11 PM
TECH Junkie

Both times it happened I popped the hood shook the battery wires a little and it started up... I plan on having everything checked out on monday but I hate having to deal with it while I wait... lol
Well, on the V the positive cable just goes straight down to the starter so it may just be a bad connection there.
Old 09-29-2009, 10:28 PM
Teching In

i had that happen to me, and i complained about it last time I brought the v to the dealer... they said they updated the computer and it shouldnt happen again? I want to say there was a tsb about this... I'll see if I can find my service report and the tsb # so you can bring it to your dealer

Quick Reply: Car wouldnt start today!! 2nd time this happened...