Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

starting engine for the first time - never done this before

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2009, 01:43 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default starting engine for the first time - never done this before

I will finally be starting the LS1 for the first time tomorrow. I cranked her over tonight to prime the oil pump. Is there anything I need to know before firing it up?

For example, a friend of mine started his engine for the first time a few months ago, and his radiator cap blew off. He says you need to leave the radiator cap off when you first start the engine. Not sure why you would need to do that, but I just wanted to check with you guys that have way more experience than me. So if there's a basic "pre-flight" checklist or something for starting up an engine, what would that checklist consist of?

Thanks again guys, I CAN'T WAIT TO HEAR IT ROAR!!!
Old 09-27-2009, 04:31 AM
TECH Apprentice

Heres what I do...

1. get a friend to help look for issues
2. check everything 3 more times
3. remove the plugs disconnect the fuel pump relay and crank the motor over to re prime the oil
4. install plugs and relay
5. twist the key and watch the oil PSI as it roars to life and have your friend look for leaks. if everything is fine run it for 20 min and let it cool down and do it again to heat cycle the engine.
Old 09-27-2009, 08:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

>Make sure you battery is fully charged.
>disconnect coils and fuel pump relay
>Crank 2 or 3 times (a few seconds) to prime motor. Oil presure should build a tad on your guage)
>remove radiator cap
> Reconnect coils and Fuel
> Crank engine to start

It might be loud and smokey at first, this is normal for the first 1>2 minutes. Smoke a bit longer.
If it finds idle, let it warm up adding coolant and watching it bubble. (air is being removed from engine coolant passages). When it stops bubling and level of coolant is full you can close cap.
Let it cool and retart for another 2 heat cycles.
Check all fluid levels, double check all connections and you are ready to take it for a drive at various loads. Avoid going over 4k rpm if not tuned.
Tune ASAP.

Also, after 500 miles change oil and filter, repeat after 1000 miles.
Old 09-27-2009, 09:05 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you just pull BOTH fuel injection fuses it will disable the fuel and spark....then turn the engine over till you have good oil pressure.
Old 09-27-2009, 09:32 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by PREDATOR-Z
>Make sure you battery is fully charged.
>disconnect coils and fuel pump relay
>Crank 2 or 3 times (a few seconds) to prime motor. Oil presure should build a tad on your guage)
>remove radiator cap
> Reconnect coils and Fuel
> Crank engine to start

It might be loud and smokey at first, this is normal for the first 1>2 minutes. Smoke a bit longer.
If it finds idle, let it warm up adding coolant and watching it bubble. (air is being removed from engine coolant passages). When it stops bubling and level of coolant is full you can close cap.
Let it cool and retart for another 2 heat cycles.
Check all fluid levels, double check all connections and you are ready to take it for a drive at various loads. Avoid going over 4k rpm if not tuned.
Tune ASAP.

Also, after 500 miles change oil and filter, repeat after 1000 miles.

Do you recommend using synthetic oil for this? Or would it be better to use regular oil?
Old 09-27-2009, 09:56 AM
Ph.D. in HUBRIS

DO NOT USE SYNTHETIC!!!!!!
You want to use traditional oil. Many people will only use rotella T 20-50 for break-in. It hasn't had all the stuff that is good for breaking in a motor yet.

You can not break an engin in with it.
Old 09-27-2009, 10:23 AM
TECH Resident

Thank you for all of the responses, you guys are badass!! I think I'm ok on oil pressure, I cranked her over last night with the coil packs disconnected and my oil pressure gauge climbed to 25.

I'm using Valvoline VR1 20-50 for engine break-in. Quite a few shops swear by using this oil for LS1 breakin.

I still need to install my radiator hoses, fill the radiator with coolant, and clean up my wiring (just want to make sure no wires get caught on something like the drivebelt or fans).

I never knew that about the radiator cap. I'll have a buddy watch for the bubbling. How much radiator fluid do you add when it's completely bone dry? I have three one gallon jugs of Prestone DexCool.
Old 09-27-2009, 12:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

You fill to the top, after starting it will go down, you keep refilling as needed. Eventualy it will stay at that level. You should recheck after taking for drive as more air could be dislodged and coolant will need top up.
Old 09-27-2009, 12:17 PM
TECH Resident

Will do, thanks Predator
Old 09-27-2009, 12:27 PM
Ph.D. in HUBRIS

I don't know but I bet 2-3 gallons is your total capacity. Make sure you mix the coolant 50/50 with water. I just saw you said that you had 3 gallons and I didn't know if it was pre-mixed. Good luck. It is awesome when they fire right up with no problems.

Someone already said don't be afraid of smoke, or small sounds that aren't normal. A motor takes a bit of time running before it sounds normal and doesn't smoke. Sounds like you already have plenty of sense to shut it down if she sounds like hell and check everything out.

Lastly bleeding the cooling system can take 15 plus minutes. Let it run with the radiator cap off till you don't have air burping out of the cap for a few minutes.
Old 10-13-2009, 02:01 AM
On The Tree

Good thread since I will be starting mine up in a day or two. I will be using rotella oil also. Im also anxious and a bit scared since I have never started an engine for the first time, especially mine.

Quick Reply: starting engine for the first time - never done this before