Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

anybody ever accidentally grab 2nd gear instead of 4th?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 01:01 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anybody ever accidentally grab 2nd gear instead of 4th?

OK, I really hate to even admit this is what might have happened to me, but its the only conclusion I have been able to come up with so far. I was out to the track on saturday for the first time in a few months, since my last trip I have added the following items: monster level III clutch and lightweight flywheel, long tubes, ORY, and poly engine and tranny mounts and a ws6store short stick, also running on Nitto NT555 street tires (what ive always had.) Made a bunch of N/A passes and everything was going ok. Then ran a few on the spray (150 shot-have made many passes before) First pass im doing good and go to grab 4th, instantly the car feels like its being held back hard and my low traction light starts comnig on, first instinct was I popped the rear, so I stab the clutch and yank it out of gear immediatly. The car is running fine so I go for another run, hot-lapping. Everything goes great, no problems, I run a 12.1 at 121 and feel good about it. Let it cool down and go again hoping for 11's. same thing happens as the first run, the guy racing me says he saw a bunch of white smoke when I grabbed 4th, im assuming tire smoke. I can only think that I was grabbing second instead of fourth, Its hard to describe what was going on because I pulled it out of gear really fast when it started happening, kind of freaked me out. Maybe Im not use to this short stick yet? The thing keeping me from believing this is what happened is that everything seems to be working fine with the car and made the 100 mile trip home with no problems, I guess what Im asking is, has anybody done a 3-2 shift while at the top of third??
Old 09-28-2009, 01:30 PM
Staging Lane

a buddy of mine had a GT-S celica and did it...

the factory fuel cut off (no rev limiter) is at like 8600 or something. needless to say it went to what we estimate is 12,000 rpm and floated / bent every valve and bent a rod, mangled the head, etc, etc. apparently the later celicas came with a revised shift pattern, because the original design was obviously too small and people were missing shifts. Personally, I don't know if they're worth it because most of my buddies that have manuals (no matter what make) and a short shifter miss gears a lot.
Old 09-28-2009, 01:38 PM
12 Second Club

You have your trac control on when you race?

Going from the top of third into second gear, if it let's you do it without grinding like a ****, should just about throw you through the windshield. Based on how you are describing what happened I'd be real surprised if you were actually hitting second gear. Sounds to me like there is more to your problem.
Old 09-28-2009, 02:25 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Anniversary "Z"
You have your trac control on when you race?

Going from the top of third into second gear, if it let's you do it without grinding like a ****, should just about throw you through the windshield. Based on how you are describing what happened I'd be real surprised if you were actually hitting second gear. Sounds to me like there is more to your problem.
thats what im thinking or would have thrown me out of control, I dont have traction control and I dont think I was breaking loose going into fourth because I dont break loose in second or third. It was just a really weird scenario for me, ive got probably 80 passes on my car and this is the first time its happened, I dont know what else to blame it on.
Old 09-28-2009, 03:39 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have done it too like an idiot, first track day ever with a m6 car and had only been driving it for about a week, if you go lucky nothing really happened, sometimes it has been known to bend pushrods but if everything sounds normal and pulls normal it should be fine. mine started wheel hopping and nailed the limiter but i got the clutch in pretty quick.

felt like a total NEWBx1000 haha. you live and learn, from then on I always pulled back and to the right a little and it solved it. good luck.
Old 09-28-2009, 04:27 PM
12 Second Club

Who installed your clutch?

Who installed the short stick?

Try making a pass all out until you go to shift from third to fourth and then granny shift it. It might not be getting fully engaged into gear when you are speed shifting it.

Where did the smoke come from? doubtful it's tire cause you'd hear them before they smoked.

How is the tranny fluid level?
Old 09-28-2009, 05:32 PM
11 Second Club

I did the installation of both the clutch and short stick myself, changed the tranny fluid when I did the clutch, filled with 4 quarts of mobil 1 synthetic ATF. The guy racing me said he just saw some white smoke coming from the back of the car, wasn't real specific. The more I think about it, the more I think the vibration I was getting was some wicked wheel hop. Its just that most other cars ive delt with usually see catastophic engine damage if something like this happens, and my car acts as if nothing ever happened, and I still had a perfectly clean run in the middle of the two problem runs, which also gave me a personal best of that 12.1 at 121mph, so I know shes still pulling good.
Old 09-28-2009, 06:24 PM
TECH Regular

yup ive pulled the ole 3-2 shift. one time idk what the **** happened but i went 2-1 oooppss
Old 09-28-2009, 06:27 PM
kp
8 Second Club

If you beat on it you are going to do the 3-2 shift sooner or later, I dont know anyone with a M6 that raced it and DIDNT do it once in a while..
Old 09-28-2009, 06:34 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,111 Likes on 729 Posts

A friend of mine did a 3 - 2 shift in a bolt-on 1998 Z/28. When he came back from his pass the car sounded like it was camming and the dash was lit up like a christmas tree. Expensive day for him.
Old 09-28-2009, 08:29 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Yea, with stock cam/springs/pushrods you are almost guaranteed some bent pushrods on the old 3-2 shift unless you are quick to push the clutch in. I've bent a few pushrods back when these cars were new along with many others..
Old 09-28-2009, 10:39 PM
10 Second Club

I prefer the https://ls1tech.com/forums/drag-raci...2-1-shift.html
Old 09-28-2009, 11:04 PM
10 Second Club

yes.
i had just installed a pistol grip and couldn't find any gears.
heres is a vid. I am not posting the incar vid. didn't hurt anything
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5zM_TpNrk8
Old 09-29-2009, 01:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

i've also yanked th ol' 3-2 shift. I'm willing to be you banged yours in the middle of the 2 and 4 "gate" on the shifter and the smoke was wot rev limiter.

don't feel retarded, everyone does that at one time, or does the miss third deal with stock shiters. I always had to make myself push the shifter towards 6th gear when going 3-4, it will hit everytime if you do that. its natural to yank the stick towards your body (towards 2nd gear)
Old 09-29-2009, 01:55 AM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I can say that I've done that too. I hate the way that the shifter gates in these cars are tall and thin. They should be wide and short. There's effectively 4 gears on the top and 3 on the bottom. It makes no sense to only have the thing be like 4 inches wide if that.

I missed 3rd gear when I was test driving (before I owned it) my car and ejected the T top. It broke into about a million pieces on the road. I bought the car and they gave me another top off of another car they had on the lot.
Old 09-29-2009, 09:02 AM
kp
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by Beaflag VonRathburg
I can say that I've done that too. I hate the way that the shifter gates in these cars are tall and thin. They should be wide and short. There's effectively 4 gears on the top and 3 on the bottom. It makes no sense to only have the thing be like 4 inches wide if that.

I missed 3rd gear when I was test driving (before I owned it) my car and ejected the T top. It broke into about a million pieces on the road. I bought the car and they gave me another top off of another car they had on the lot.
Years ago I tested a T56 shifter similar to the old Hurst vertigate shifter that positively locked out the 1-2 gate. Downside is you had to lift a lever to put it in 1st or 2nd and it was very hard to get in 5-6th or reverse. they gave up on it since it would end up costing way much too produce. Not to mention it still didnt help you get it in gear at WOT because of the single cone syncros in the F-body T-56
Old 09-29-2009, 09:55 AM
12 Second Club

TH400 or Glide FTW!!
Old 09-29-2009, 10:58 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Anniversary "Z"
TH400 or Glide FTW!!
Hasn't anybody ever told you, "real race cars have three pedals"? j/k Since there seems to be a few others this has happened to, Im gonna go with that. I just figured it would have been a bit more "eventful" if you know what I mean. I guess these motors can take a bit of a beating once in a while
Old 09-29-2009, 11:02 AM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i havent done it yet while racing. although i have done it 2-3 times driving around town. i have a specific way my hand moves around th shifter when im racing to avoid it. 1-2 my hand stays on the right side of the ball and pull towards me, 2-3 my hand goes behind the ball and push it towards the radio, and 3-4 my hand goes on top towards the front of the ball and pull it towards the back right side of the console. don even notice i do it anymore just second nature.
Old 09-29-2009, 01:16 PM
Banned

Sorry not everyone who races an m6 has done the 3-2 shift. I think if you did this you would definately noticed by either : a) it banging off of the rev limiter or b) you being thrown forward in the seat.

Quick Reply: anybody ever accidentally grab 2nd gear instead of 4th?