Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

please help the oil psi is at ZERO!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2009, 02:34 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default please help the oil psi is at ZERO!!

hello guys i went to go start my car this morning when i noticed the check guages light is on and oil pressure was at zero. i shut the motor off. (it ran for 5 seconds until i shut it off) the car has 92k on it now. i did notice when i came home yesterday the oil pressure was almost down to 20 psi it usally runs at 40 on idle. now if my wiring for the oil pressure sensor was damaged wouldent the ses light go on? or could my oil pump just go bad lik that?
there is oil in the engine right now, and the engine has never been opened up internally. what are some ways of checking for oil psi in the engine? is it possible to poke a hole in the oil filter? can i drill and tap the corvette oil cooler blocked off area by the oil filter? thanks guys
Old 10-10-2009, 04:19 PM
Banned

anybody have any ideas for this situation?
Old 10-10-2009, 04:21 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

have you changed your oil sender yet? try that, and when is the last time you changed your oil and what brand and weight did you put in it?
Old 10-10-2009, 05:26 PM
10 Second Club

Your oil pump could go out just like that I've seen it before. Sounds like its time for a cam swap to me. My buddys pump with less miles than yours went out as we were pulling on the dyno.
Old 10-10-2009, 06:27 PM
Banned

thanks for the responses guys, i have changed the oil pressure seding unit when i did the LS6 manifolod swap 5 months ago with a new ac delco unit. the oil has 1500 miles on it and is 5w-30 i used to use mobil 1 but now valvoline full synthetic. i also just changed the filter thinking that it could have been colapsed or clogged and it was just fine.

ABQ99TA-- humm i was guessing maybe a pick up tube o ring or something, i was planning on the cam swap i guess its time now. but i think im going to have to connect a mechanical guage to the oil pressure sending unit first to make sure. and what did the pump look like when it went out? was it broken inside or was it something else like the pick up tube o ring?
Old 10-10-2009, 06:44 PM
On The Tree

i would put a mechanical gauge in the hole and see or pull a valve cover then turn it over see if its oiling or if its something serious
Old 10-10-2009, 07:03 PM
Banned

im trying to look for a mechanical guage to buy, or maybe il try to pull open the valve cover which i think would be easier then connecting a guage back there
Old 10-10-2009, 07:43 PM
Banned

so i just removed the valve cover and started the car, and there is no oil coming out the hole on the rocker arms where the pushrod is connected. so do u guys think i should still use a mechanical pressure tester or should i start taking apart the engine?
Old 10-10-2009, 08:01 PM
LSxGuy widda 9sec Mustang

Mechanical gage is best to verify, but as stated above it is probably in the oil pump. The 97-00 oil pumps have a problem with sticking pressure regulator valves, if it sticks open, the oil pump will loose its prime and never gain it back. The sign is usually lower pressure or fluctuating pressure the in the day(s) before the "0" oil pressure startup.
Old 10-10-2009, 08:07 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by -Joseph-
Mechanical gage is best to verify, but as stated above it is probably in the oil pump. The 97-00 oil pumps have a problem with sticking pressure regulator valves, if it sticks open, the oil pump will loose its prime and never gain it back. The sign is usually lower pressure or fluctuating pressure the in the day(s) before the "0" oil pressure startup.
Joseph thank you for the response, i guess i will be removing the timing cover for further inspection. since i just checked that there is no oil coming out the rockers then doesent that just give it away that now the problem is internal? or should i go ahead and check with the oil pressure guage?
Old 10-10-2009, 08:15 PM
On The Tree

no if there was no oil quit cranking it before you cause more trouble sounds like you need a new pump
Old 10-10-2009, 08:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Get a mechanical guage on there ASAP. Tap into the rear of the oil pan, like everyone else does, or use the spot on the front/side of the block near the alternator.

I had the same thing happen to me post FAST 92/92 install. I initially thought my sending unit got messed up, although I didn't break it (common during intake swaps), so I replaced it and magically the guage started reading properly. About 4 wks later, it started acting up again, (20psi then 0psi like you) so I figured the sending unit messed up again and losing ground or something. On my way to the shop to get it checked with a mechanical guage, it started knocking and that immediately clued me in to what was happening. Pure coincidence that it stated functioning when I replaced the sending unit, but the oil pump was the culprit the whole time. The pumps are notorious for the regulator valve to stick open, which is what started happening when your psi dropped to 20, and now 0 I bet. Time for a ported LS6 pump and maybe a rough idle mod .

Last edited by '02 WS6; 10-10-2009 at 09:11 PM.
Old 10-10-2009, 08:35 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by '02 WS6
Get a mechanical guage on there ASAP. Tap into the rear of the oil pan, like everyone else does, or use the spot on the front/side of the block near the alternator.

I had the same thing happen to me post FAST 92/92 install. I initially thought my sending unit got messed up, although I didn't break it (common during intake swaps), so I replaced it and magically the guage started reading properly. About 4 wks later, it started acting up again, (20psi then 0psi like you) so I figured the sending unit messed up again and losing ground or something. On my way to the shop to get it checked with a mechanical guage, it started knocking and that immediately clued me in to what was happening. Pure coincidence that it stated functioning when I replaced the sending unit, but the oil pump was the culprit the whole time. The pumps are notorious for the relief valve to stick open, which is what started happening when your psi dropped to 20, and now 0 I bet. Time for a ported LS6 pump and maybe a rough idle mod .

cool man thanks, anybody can suggest a good website to buy my cam package from? i already know the grind and all the parts i need, any website somebody can reccomend me? and also should i buy the lingenfelter oil pump from ebay? i think its like $100 i will be doing the cam swap myself
Old 10-10-2009, 08:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

You can get the cam kit with your specs and a ported LS6 pump from Texas Speed & Performance (TSP). Geoff @ Engine Power Systems (EPS) is a top cam grinder on the board so you may look into his shop as well. Both are sponsors ----->
Old 10-10-2009, 09:07 PM
LSxGuy widda 9sec Mustang

Yea I wouldn't start it up anymore, I would just look for the problem. I'd replace the pump before doing the cam/springs/etc, then put it back together far enough to have the front cover and crank pulley on it. At that point start it up with ideally a mechanical gage and see what happens. The pump (pressure regulator valve) is very common to stick.

About the oil to valvetrain:

Lack of oil in the valvetrain isn't really good nor bad at this point. At a cold engine idle, it can take a few minutes for a consistent oil supply to reach the rocker arms.
Old 10-10-2009, 09:56 PM
11 Second Club

Just get a nice High Volume Melling 10296 Oil Pump and call it a day.
Old 10-10-2009, 10:21 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by -Joseph-
Yea I wouldn't start it up anymore, I would just look for the problem. I'd replace the pump before doing the cam/springs/etc, then put it back together far enough to have the front cover and crank pulley on it. At that point start it up with ideally a mechanical gage and see what happens. The pump (pressure regulator valve) is very common to stick.

About the oil to valvetrain:

Lack of oil in the valvetrain isn't really good nor bad at this point. At a cold engine idle, it can take a few minutes for a consistent oil supply to reach the rocker arms.
i started it a total of 2 times both 5 second each and i did not see any drips or nothing come out the holes. another person recommended as soon as the new oil pump and pickup tube is on,. give it a start with the timing cover off just so u can check for leaks around the pick up tube o ring i will take some pics along my progress and hopefully find the culprit by taking apart the oil pump
Old 10-11-2009, 03:05 PM
Banned

ok guys i started the car this morning again ( i dident want to but my uncle wanted to see it) so i started it then revved it to 1500 rpm as he said and then the oil psi went up to 60 and the engine went quiet and then i started to see drips of oil come out the rocker arms, seems like everything is normal lol, now its guarantee a stuck relief valve, i feel more comfortable knowing the problem. i am still going to take everything apart still and change the cam and oil pump. also what color o ring should i use for the pick up tube?
Old 10-11-2009, 04:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yup definitely the regualtor valve on the pump. Mine would pick up occasionally too, but everytime I shut if off it would go right back to 0psi.
Old 10-11-2009, 07:32 PM
Banned

thanks for everybody who replyed in my thread, you all have been a great help. seems like im going to order all the parts tonight from thunderracing, they have a %10 off sale on everything. also what color o ring should i use? i ordered the oil pump too