Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

couple questions on transmission reinstall

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2009, 05:16 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default couple questions on transmission reinstall

I have just finished installing the following on the 00 SS.

New slave/throwout cylinder (not sure what GM calls this)
New pressure plate
New clutch disk
New Flywheel
New pilot bearing
New rear seal

The transmission is lined up and ready to slide back in, however I have 2 questions.

1. When re-attaching the slave, the white 'quick disconnect plastic' sits out approx 1/16 to 1/8 inch off the slave. When I went to disconnect it, it didn't sit out that far. I have tried to pull the lines apart and cannot. Is this normal/correct install?

2. The passenger upper bolt that attaches the transmission to the bellhousing (the blind one) has a vent and mounting tab that sucures with that bolt. What is this vent for? Also, how do you get to that bolt on reinstallation with the vent tab?

For all those that have tackled this before, I admire us all for these type of projects.
Old 10-11-2009, 05:30 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by jutt26
I have just finished installing the following on the 00 SS.

New slave/throwout cylinder (not sure what GM calls this)
New pressure plate
New clutch disk
New Flywheel
New pilot bearing
New rear seal

The transmission is lined up and ready to slide back in, however I have 2 questions.

1. When re-attaching the slave, the white 'quick disconnect plastic' sits out approx 1/16 to 1/8 inch off the slave. When I went to disconnect it, it didn't sit out that far. I have tried to pull the lines apart and cannot. Is this normal/correct install?

2. The passenger upper bolt that attaches the transmission to the bellhousing (the blind one) has a vent and mounting tab that sucures with that bolt. What is this vent for? Also, how do you get to that bolt on reinstallation with the vent tab?

For all those that have tackled this before, I admire us all for these type of projects.
As long as you can not pull line apart, and once you apply pressure to pedal, and you have no leak, you are OK. So no worries there.

Vent is for pressure that builds up inside the tranny. You HAVE to have it working properlly (vented), but you do NOT have to have it attached to that bolt though. In fact, I normally do NOT use that bolt to mount the vent line when doing a install, as it can be a PIA. BUT, make sure it is mounted up high and away from exhaust and moving parts...I zip tie it to tranny (but make sure you still use the bolt for teh tranny though, even though you don't have to mont the vent with it)
Old 10-11-2009, 05:50 PM
Teching In

just tried the pedal and no leaks, however the clutch pedal has no pressure behind it. I assume this is because the slave isnt pushing against the pressure plate (since the transmission isnt back in)?

I am assuming the car doesnt need to be on or running correct?
Old 10-11-2009, 05:54 PM
FormerVendor

just tried the pedal and no leaks, however the clutch pedal has no pressure behind it. I assume this is because the slave isnt pushing against the pressure plate (since the transmission isnt back in)?

I am assuming the car doesnt need to be on or running correct?

Oh, I thought you had tranny already in. Be careful doing what you just did, as you can blow the slave seal just open like that.

But yes, there was no pressure for TWO (2) reasons, not against the PP, AND you have not bled it yet either.

No, car does NOT need to be running to perform this
Old 10-11-2009, 06:01 PM
Teching In

Since the bleeder screw (I assume thats the second rod coming out of the slave is inside the bellhousing once the transmission is put back together, should I bleed prior to mounting it back up?

Also, the blind bolt on the tranny, any tricks to getting it back in? Guessing a little patience and some grease in the socket to hold the bolt will work?

Thanks for the knowledge.
Old 10-11-2009, 06:04 PM
FormerVendor

Since the bleeder screw (I assume thats the second rod coming out of the slave is inside the bellhousing once the transmission is put back together, should I bleed prior to mounting it back up?

Also, the blind bolt on the tranny, any tricks to getting it back in? Guessing a little patience and some grease in the socket to hold the bolt will work?

Thanks for the knowledge.

That is the bleeder screw, yes. No, need to bleed it installed (again, need the slave/TOB mounted up against teh PP to keep from blowing the seal out)

Looooooonnnnngggg extension, with a wobble socket, and some patience, along with being a contortionist with small hands will help also
Old 10-11-2009, 06:16 PM
Teching In

thanks again Gen,

so I guess the real question comes down to, how do you bleed the slave once the tranny is bolted up?

Or...do you leave it loose by a couple inches and bleed it that way?

Added your site to my favs, will keep it around since the SS may have to go in the next year or so (fiancee wants kids) and a CTS-V will be the replacement.
Old 10-11-2009, 06:24 PM
FormerVendor

thanks again Gen,

so I guess the real question comes down to, how do you bleed the slave once the tranny is bolted up?

Or...do you leave it loose by a couple inches and bleed it that way?

Added your site to my favs, will keep it around since the SS may have to go in the next year or so (fiancee wants kids) and a CTS-V will be the replacement.

It is a pain to get to, but that is how you do it. It is a 2 man job.

1 in car
1 under car
car on jackstands
top off reservoir
person in car, apply pressure to clutch pedal, BUT DO NOT PUMP OR PUSH TO FLOOR.
person under car, open bleeder
person in car, push pedal to floor,SLOWLY. Right before it gets to floor, yell...CLOSE IT!!
person under car, clsoe bleeder
person in car, release pedal
Repeat steps

After 3-4 times of this, check reservoir, as it WILL empty quickly.

Do these steps until you get a nice firm pedal, with no air. Should take 15-30 mintues this route.

And thanks for adding us to your favs. Anything related to the T56 or a clutch, I can get you....
Old 10-11-2009, 08:16 PM
TECH Resident

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Slave Cylinder

The little white collar sleeve on the line is the quick disconnect tool used for removal of the fluid line, after removing the line I remove the collar and save it in my tool box, when you are ready to install the line back you just push it in and will hear and feel it click into place.