Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

I really want a 4 speed!

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2009, 07:03 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I really want a 4 speed!

hey guys right now i have an ls1 with t56 in my car, the car is just a race car and i want to simplify things, it needs to be a manual due to the type of racing and im just looking for a 4 speed with reverse too lol that would be nice no overdrive is nessacery. The ls1 i have puts out about 450whp who has a suggestion, now i can spend some cash but im not made of money so like anything over 3.5k i think is a little rediculous.
Old 10-11-2009, 07:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Why would you want a 4 speed...? The T56 is a great transmission and finding and somehow putting a 4-speed in just seems pointless and tons of work. Just don't use 5th and 6th?
Old 10-11-2009, 07:32 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ncfastls1
Why would you want a 4 speed...? The T56 is a great transmission and finding and somehow putting a 4-speed in just seems pointless and tons of work. Just don't use 5th and 6th?
never use 5th and 6th all i need is a 1:1 ratio gear for forth and simalar to a t56 gearing 1 2 and 3 which would be my 4th gear. I litterally just want an H pattern or somting sequential so that way when your in a tight spot and you have to slam it into a gear your going to hit your gear. The t56 pattern is somting i dont need i dont use 5th and 6th and that just leaves more possibilitys to miss shift, now i know some of you guys are gonna say practice shifting more lol well thats not the point the point is i know this can be avoided completely if i just ditch those two gears or switch to a sequential style manual. Personally i think i would prefer a 4 speed over any of them, i know alot of guys like the t56 so i can just sell her and make some cash back.
Old 10-11-2009, 07:46 PM
12 Second Club

the muncie is the same bolt pattern as the T-56 and its a 4 speed there are 3 different versions and they are kinda expensive but if you look you can find one
Old 10-11-2009, 08:07 PM
Teching In

holy **** i just found these things!@?!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Richm...Q5fAccessories

dude im pretty sure this is what i need right here lol, how much power do these guys hold?

there are a few nascar gearboxes on ebayright now too
Old 10-11-2009, 08:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I really don't think you'll be happy with a Muncie or something older like that. My Dad has a M22 in his Nova, and that thing feels really sloppy (it's old and probably needs a new shifter though). The T56 can be built to handle big power, and it was designed to fit in there in the first place.

But if you have your heart set on a 4-speed, yes it can be done. But it would just be easier to avoid 5th and 6th IMO.
Old 10-11-2009, 08:21 PM
Launching!

This is probably a good starting point for the bell housing:
http://www.mcleodind.com/downloads/p...DFs/Page_9.pdf

Modular in design, so you should be able to make it work with any popular 4-speed pattern or a t56 if needed.

As for the tranny, that's going to require some homework on your part. The usual players in the 4spd arena are Jerico, G-Force, Liberty and I don't think you can buy any of those new for $3500, so your looking for a used unit. Good place to look for one might be in Super Stock drag racing circles?

http://www.g-forcetransmissions.com/
http://www.jericoperformance.com/11.html

Is the $3500 budget for the tranny or for the entire setup (tranny/clutch/bellhousing/shifter)? I doubt you could do the entire swap for $3500. I'd still call each of these companies and pick their brains. If you come across a rebuilt unit get the serial number from the tranny and call the company, they keep tabs on what they build and could possible give you a history of the tranny.

Be ready for lots of questions:

What kind of tire are you on?
How hard are you leaving?
What's your 60ft time?
Clutch type?
Weight of car?
Gear?
Etc.....

All this stuff has to be answered so the combo can work together. 450hp isn't all that much in the bigger picture so you could be spending $$$ that could be saved or better spent on getting your T56 prepped properly and upgrading the clutch??

Missed shifts could be greatly reduced by switching over to a Vertical Gate shifter (Long Mfg.) and most of the above 4spd trannies will come with one or be set up for one. Another option is to run a Doug Nash/G-force 5-speed and have 4th and 5th set up as 1:1 (no need to shift to 5th) or split the gear spread across 5 gears instead of 4? My buddy ran one of these in a 3rd gen camaro last season with a Soft Lok clutch and a hyd. bearing with mixed results in a 9sec ride. Tranny was bullet proof, but the clutch setup was touch and go.

Any of the traditional muscle car 4speeds (Muncie, ST10, etc) would be fragile if left 100% stock and you start leaving at 6000 on slicks.

A fast stick car isn't cheap or easy and will require maintenance. How fast are you running?

Good Luck
Chris
Old 10-11-2009, 08:22 PM
Teching In

m heart is definently set on a 4 speed, now im even seeing a weight savings factor in this also so im definenlty wanting to go 4 speed.
Old 10-11-2009, 08:25 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by touge battle
holy **** i just found these things!@?!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Richm...Q5fAccessories

dude im pretty sure this is what i need right here lol, how much power do these guys hold?

there are a few nascar gearboxes on ebayright now too
That stock ST10 with won't last all that long if you are really hitting it hard with slicks mounted.

The nascar gearboxes are an option, but the gear ratio's are likely to be all wrong. Don't buy anything until you call some tech lines and figure out exactly what it is you need to suit your appplication.
Old 10-11-2009, 08:27 PM
Launching!

m heart is definently set on a 4 speed, now im even seeing a weight savings factor in this also so im definenlty wanting to go 4 speed.
That's one clear advantage to a 4spd box. Probably save somewhere around 30-35 lbs versus a T56.
Old 10-11-2009, 08:30 PM
Launching!

Here's another reason to go 4spd.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGOKM...eature=related
Old 10-11-2009, 08:40 PM
Banned

You can have a really nice high performance Muncie 4 speed built from scratch. Add a vertigate shifter to the mix and you will be able to row gears like a ****.
Old 10-11-2009, 09:13 PM
TECH Addict

ive got 3 muncies just sitting 2 m21s and 1 m22 that me and my dad have collected over the years they are great transmissions but if you already have a t56 just build it and leave 5th and 6th alone the only advantage is a tad but of weight savings...
Old 10-11-2009, 09:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Buy a jerico and a quicktime bellhousing and be done with it. It will handle up to 1000hp in a 3200lb car.
Old 10-11-2009, 10:43 PM
Teching In

ok to answer a few questions you guys have about the set up im trying to produce here.

LOL first of all the car is a drift car, i didnt mention that because usually on ls1tech it seems if u mention "drifting" in a post you get about 0 replies because idk if most guys dont like it or they just really arent aware of much of the "tuning" aspects of a drift car. So i wont be doing hard drag launches, the car does get clutch kicks to initiate drifts though and so one as well as very hard shifting.

the car is a nissan 240sx it weighs about 2500lbs

the rear end is a 4.08

the tire size will vary from 255 to a 285

sorry but what exactly is vertical gate? thats that sequential shifting just up and down?

my main problem that i had with the t56 is definently the gear pattern, for drifting if u miss your gear lol your fucked bad, u miss your gear, your next slide is screwed up because your timing is off, you miss your clipping point and it all goes down hill from there. The weight savings to me actually is a big thing too because this will help balance the car alot more for me because i gained about 100lbs on the front end due to my new ls1
Old 10-12-2009, 01:28 AM
TECH Apprentice

you can get a TKO600 with 5th removed... several places do it..

MMR in Ventura County
D&D - Don Walsh's transmission company
Bob Hanlon Motorsports....
Old 10-12-2009, 08:31 AM
Banned

Tremec are strong but most of them shift like crap.
Old 10-12-2009, 11:00 AM

OK. I've heard every other 4 speed mentioned. You've got my attention. Call me, we'll talk.

George

Chief Engineer, Auto Gear Company
Old 10-12-2009, 05:39 PM
Launching!

ok to answer a few questions you guys have about the set up im trying to produce here.

LOL first of all the car is a drift car, i didnt mention that because usually on ls1tech it seems if u mention "drifting" in a post you get about 0 replies because idk if most guys dont like it or they just really arent aware of much of the "tuning" aspects of a drift car. So i wont be doing hard drag launches, the car does get clutch kicks to initiate drifts though and so one as well as very hard shifting.

the car is a nissan 240sx it weighs about 2500lbs

the rear end is a 4.08

the tire size will vary from 255 to a 285

sorry but what exactly is vertical gate? thats that sequential shifting just up and down?

my main problem that i had with the t56 is definently the gear pattern, for drifting if u miss your gear lol your fucked bad, u miss your gear, your next slide is screwed up because your timing is off, you miss your clipping point and it all goes down hill from there. The weight savings to me actually is a big thing too because this will help balance the car alot more for me because i gained about 100lbs on the front end due to my new ls1
Vertical gate is not going to work at all in your app. Imagine an H pattern (classic 4spd pattern) on its side. Easy to up shift, but not very efficient at down shifting and certainly not something you do at speed with one hand in mid drift, at least I don't think so.

A true sequential transmission is way far out of the price range. Check with LG Motorsports maybe he can hook you up....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipC8Ire-cNg

You need to contact some of the companies and start a dialogue, they'll direct you as to best how to proceed. A well built Road Race style tranny is probably the better route as opposed to drag race style tranny.

Good Luck
Chris
Old 10-12-2009, 06:48 PM
Teching In

yes im definently going to be making some phone calls lol its extremely hard with work right now though because im going to be doing 16 hour days pretty much till chirstmas time haha 6 days a week so ls1tech and other internet sources is what i get to look at in my free time, anyways, Autogear guy ill send u a PM as i am intrested in what you have to say.

Quick Reply: I really want a 4 speed!