Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Whats the best spring?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2009, 09:16 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Whats the best spring?

I'm about to hit 100k miles on the Z and the next mods are deffinately going to be suspension. The rear springs have about had it, and the car leans to the right in the rear. I'm not really wanting to lower the car, but I do want something stiffer than OEM, so what spring/shock combo would you guys recomend?
Old 10-12-2009, 11:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It may not be your springs. 100k miles it really not that extreme for the springs on our cars.
If you have the original shocks that could be your problem.What do you want from your car? To ride better? Handle better on curves? Drag/street racing? More information would be nice.I like koni sa' shocks.
Old 10-12-2009, 11:49 PM
On The Tree

Better handling, also drag racing. My rear tire size is 305/35/18 and they rub a little when going up a steep incline or sometimes if I hit a bump. . .
Old 10-13-2009, 08:03 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Hello, we have you covered on the springs and shocks depending on what you plan is for your car. We have 1.25" lowering springs that are stiffer than stock and have a lifetime guarantee. I carry all different types of shocks from the non adjustable Tokico HP series to the single or double adjustable Strange or QA1 shocks. Please give me a call and we can go over your setup.

http://www.bmrfabrication.com/
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 10-13-2009, 09:37 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

As always, it's not that simple..... And as usual transwiz has a pretty good handle on things you need to consider.

Koni's are the best shocks as far as I'm concerned--and pretty much anyone who has them (and have had others) will agree with that. Which are the best springs? Well, I think mine are--after all imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, or so I hear. But here's the catch. Not sure you need to change springs. Might want to, but just because they have miles doens't make them bad. Further the stock springs don't suck. The stock shocks do, badly. The stock swaybars aren't the best... but stock spring if you want a stock height can handle very, very well with proper supporting parts.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 10-13-2009, 09:44 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
As always, it's not that simple..... And as usual transwiz has a pretty good handle on things you need to consider.

Koni's are the best shocks as far as I'm concerned--and pretty much anyone who has them (and have had others) will agree with that. Which are the best springs? Well, I think mine are--after all imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, or so I hear. But here's the catch. Not sure you need to change springs. Might want to, but just because they have miles doens't make them bad. Further the stock springs don't suck. The stock shocks do, badly. The stock swaybars aren't the best... but stock spring if you want a stock height can handle very, very well with proper supporting parts.
This sparked my interest, what would Konis and your sway bars be like with the stock springs? I really don't want to get too far away from drag racing, but would like a good all around car. Opinion?
Old 10-13-2009, 10:40 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

What's it like? Great. The bars give you a ton more roll control. The shocks slow both the roll and pitch rate way down, and the car will take a set much more quickly. The softer taller stock springs allow maximum suspension compliance for dealing with impacts, bumps, holes, RR tracks, etc.

In fact, most German cars are sprung soft, but damped and barred pretty heavily which results in that taut, BMW-esque kind of ride.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 10-13-2009, 04:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Koni sa shocks and strano hollow sway bars with stock springs would be the first thing I would do to the suspension.I did the lower perch/heater hose mod to the springs to get app: 3/4" drop in front and 1/2" in the rear.You would be supprised what a difference just the shocks and sway bars make.The car handles,and rides so much different that I couldn't believe the difference.

I used to talk to Strano's mom(Arleen I think was her name) at the time and she said that based on what I was telling her I should use stock springs with the lower perch/heater hose mod,koni sa 4/3 shocks and the hollow sway bars.Sam also told me that the stock springs were pretty good and for my goals I should not use his lowering springs.
The shocks and sway bars make the car much more enjoyable to drive.By the way your mom Sam, will be deffinately missed.How many companys do you know of where they really try to suggest things that are going to make you happy and don't try to over sell you.
Get the sway bars and shocks first.Then drive your car a little before you get
other things and spend more money
Old 10-13-2009, 05:00 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I'm sure somewhere she's smiling.... I know I am. Thank you.

Old 10-13-2009, 05:48 PM
On The Tree

Right now, I am concerned the way the car sits: in the rear it leans(sits lower) on the right side. I heard its b/c more torque is put down on that side, so that spring wears faster. . . ? I can get my hands on some springs off a 02 TA w/ low miles, but Again, I don't really want to lower the car.
Old 10-13-2009, 05:52 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

First, it's normal for the left side to sit about 1/2" higher than the right. If you swap springs, and the other side then sits lower, you know you have a spring issue. If not, you don't.

Old 10-13-2009, 06:31 PM
On The Tree

First, it's normal for the left side to sit about 1/2" higher than the right. If you swap springs, and the other side then sits lower, you know you have a spring issue. If not, you don't.
Its more than 1/2 an inch, but that sounds simple enough except I will have to pay someone to do that. . . anything else you think it could be if thats not the case?

Thanks for the help,
-Zach

Last edited by Mong00z; 10-13-2009 at 06:59 PM.
Old 10-13-2009, 07:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Actuall it's not that hard to swap springs.You jack the car up put it on jackstands in the
rear subframe.Put a jack under the rear axle.Take off the bottom nuts off the shocks .Pull the shocks out of the bottom mounts on the axle..Pull out the bolt on the axle for the panhard rod.Pullout the panhard rod out of the mount.Lower the jack under the rear axle.If you can't get the rear to come down enough,remove the rear wheels.The springs practically fall out.Swap the springs out.

If you can't do it, somebody with experience can do it pretty quickly.I have bought used low mile springs for cheap.I would swap the springs first.

Last edited by transwiz; 10-13-2009 at 07:55 PM.
Old 10-13-2009, 09:28 PM
TECH Resident

I vote stranos. They're proven. I'll get a set pretty soon.
Old 10-14-2009, 11:50 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Don't even need to disconnect the PHB... just the bottom of the shocks.

Old 10-14-2009, 08:20 PM
10 Second Club

not trying to hijack this but i too have a issue with my 02 ss leaning to one side over the other it didnt do this when i bought the car just a lil while after i had umi 3 pnt sfc's put on i measured the top of the wheel opening and found the driver front was 27in pass front 26in driver rear was 28in and passenger rear was 27in im coming into some money and kinda wanted some advice as to check shocks or springs its stock rear 92k mile car
again i apoligize
Old 10-14-2009, 10:00 PM
TECH Junkie

Don't even need to disconnect the PHB... just the bottom of the shocks.
Actually instead of doing anything with the PHB, make sure to disconnect the rear swaybar endlinks.
Old 10-15-2009, 11:48 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by z28bryan
Actually instead of doing anything with the PHB, make sure to disconnect the rear swaybar endlinks.
Don't generally need to do that either... but it would depend on the endlink length.

Old 10-15-2009, 11:49 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by +badss+
not trying to hijack this but i too have a issue with my 02 ss leaning to one side over the other it didnt do this when i bought the car just a lil while after i had umi 3 pnt sfc's put on i measured the top of the wheel opening and found the driver front was 27in pass front 26in driver rear was 28in and passenger rear was 27in im coming into some money and kinda wanted some advice as to check shocks or springs its stock rear 92k mile car
again i apoligize

Can you be more clear about what corners were what height. I can't really follow. Maybe something like....

LF: ___
RF: ___
LR: ___
RR: ___

Old 10-15-2009, 01:54 PM
On The Tree

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Since you mentioned you are not interested in lowering your car I thought I would give my input. I have stock springs, Koni SA's 4/4 and Sam's hollow sway bars. This setup makes the car feel so much more composed in all driving environments. The car is much easier to handle and predict its behavior. I have had this setup on about 18 months with stock springs and do not have one complaint or issue with it. I am picky and don’t just jump on the bandwagon with others when it comes to “great” mods.

The Konis will make the car more comfortable and composed just driving down the road, during lane changes, and normal daily maneuvers in general. I say more comfortable because it handles bumps with a much smoother and precise feel. In emergency braking situations and swerving (when people cut you off, pull out in front of you etc.) you will notice the Konis. When it comes to cornering and handling there is no comparison in my mind. The car is superior in feel, composure, handling, everything.

I did the Konis first then added the sways later....I just wanted to see the difference even though I bought them at the same time. Sam's hollow sway bars really can be noticed when you push the car. Roll stiffness is much greater and understeer is reduced as well as more controllable and predictable when you reach it.

I am far from an expert driver but am very pleased with this setup with stock springs. It is a great street/daily driver combination and I would recommend it to anyone.

I should add I had the stock Decarbons and sway bars on my 02 SS before I switched to new suspension. The car had right around 10,000 easy miles on it before I changed everything out. So I am not comparing the Konis/sways to a worn out suspension that needed replaced due to wear and tear.

Whatever you buy go through Sam he will get you the parts YOU NEED and make sure you know everything you need to know including details on installing and adjustments. Sam gives great support before, during, and after the sell. He is a stand-up guy to work with and offers immense knowledge with great products. Can't go wrong.