Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

STS Or ebay knock off Kit

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2009, 08:27 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default STS Or ebay knock off Kit

So i have an sts kit but after reading threads i am contemplating a ebay kit. What would you guys reccomend, anyone with an ebay kit regret it?
Old 10-22-2009, 09:01 PM
TECH Regular

have you installed the STS kit yet?
Old 10-22-2009, 09:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

sell the sts. back pressure issues and 3 people i know that have a sts hate it. go front mount
Old 10-22-2009, 10:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

don't get rid of the kit it will make power period. Now what you should be asking yourself is what are your Hp goals because you can do it with a STS kit. Yes it has it's drawbacks but so does everything else. Install the kit save your money.
Old 10-22-2009, 10:10 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by The Fugitive
don't get rid of the kit it will make power period. Now what you should be asking yourself is what are your Hp goals because you can do it with a STS kit. Yes it has it's drawbacks but so does everything else. Install the kit save your money.
+1 ^^^ i agree. i am currently installing a t76..most people that dis the sts have very little experience with them. I cant tell you how many sts cars i have rode in that are sick and hit a full 12 psi in the blink of an eye..sure front mounts are great but its so much extra work moving everything around and diff radiator and other things..i would give the sts a shot before selling
Old 10-22-2009, 10:55 PM
TECH Regular

Go with the STS. If it is installed and tuned correctly you will not be disappointed. Did you get one of the newly redesigned kits?
Old 10-22-2009, 11:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I started when and STS and am happy with it for a DD. If I build a designated track car Ill go front mount. But Im looking for 700+ on my build butt mounted..
Old 10-23-2009, 12:26 AM
Banned

sts = fail big time
Old 10-23-2009, 01:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by devilssled
sts = fail big time
and why would that be do you have one did you have one? Stop bashing and atleast put pros and cons of both sides if you're gonna say something. But with that goal it is definately possible with a STS a few people are pushing over 800whp with theirs. Look up threads about the kit on some of the mods people did to have a very reliable kit for your build.
Old 10-23-2009, 02:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We just did a custom made rearmount, I love it so far. Self contained oil setup an all, flojet pumps it to the turbo and the turbo gravity feeds into the tank, Only thing I dislike on the rearmounts is worrying if the pump is going to fail! But I hooked upa dummy light for pressure at turbo if it loses it also a warning buzzer if pump loses power.
Old 10-23-2009, 02:15 AM

My two cents, run the STS. I've run my sts equipped vette hard for 30K miles with only two issues, one failed oil pump at 28K (which STS has redisigned since my original purchase) and now I'm having issues with the crankcase becoming pressurized causing a lot of smoke, but I feel this doesn't really have anything to do with the kit's quality, reliablity, or power potential, but rather more to do with the mileage on the motor. Also, please keep in mind I installed this kit on a bone stock car that already had 75K miles on it. Otherwise, it makes full boost by about 2800, it's smog legal for us CA guys, makes a wicked sound, good power, and has been stone reliable aside from the oil pump failure. The only other thing I had to do to the car was upgrade the clutch as the stock ZO6 unit didn't survive very long......my take on it is that it beats the hell out of having to re-configure your entire engine bay.......
Old 10-23-2009, 02:41 AM
Banned

try looking at the dyno sheets from sts no power after 4200 rpm's look how a turbo works it spuls from heat and exhaust gas by the time the exhaust reaches the turbo there is not enough heat to spool the turbo effeclently they have the right idea but intell they figure out how to keep the heat there turbo kit is a waste of space i have recherced it alot i live a block away from sts i go there and talk to the techs plenty of time i take a 500whp car agenst a 800 hpm sts car the 500 hp car will win cause the sts runs out of juise every 4000 rpm look at the dyno sheets u will see sorry about the spelling lol
Old 10-23-2009, 03:39 AM
TECH Resident

Smile

Originally Posted by MaroMan
So i have an sts kit but after reading threads i am contemplating a ebay kit. What would you guys reccomend, anyone with an ebay kit regret it?
The mistake is ebay............
Old 10-23-2009, 07:46 AM
TECH Resident

try looking at the dyno sheets from sts no power after 4200 rpm's look how a turbo works it spuls from heat and exhaust gas by the time the exhaust reaches the turbo there is not enough heat to spool the turbo effeclently they have the right idea but intell they figure out how to keep the heat there turbo kit is a waste of space i have recherced it alot i live a block away from sts i go there and talk to the techs plenty of time i take a 500whp car agenst a 800 hpm sts car the 500 hp car will win cause the sts runs out of juise every 4000 rpm look at the dyno sheets u will see sorry about the spelling lol
not saying you are wrong, it makes me think there may be something with your tune because mine is still hauling major *** at 5500+ RPM.. To the OP, STS sounds amazing and turns heads. It makes solid numbers and keeps your engine bay from being hacked up like front mount turbo systems do (radiator, fans, a/c). If you have the kit, I'd def throw it on there.
Old 10-23-2009, 08:37 AM
Launching!

Alright sounds like the sts is a win. Its not on the car but it is a full kit and i plan on buying all the possible upgrades for it.

Thanks alot guys.
Old 10-23-2009, 08:38 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by njc.corp
The mistake is ebay............
Coming from what experience?
Old 10-23-2009, 11:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

You can't say that for all the STS turbo kits. You have to take in account the turbo selection they made for that dyno (which was probably the baby 60-1). I have a upgraded 67mm and a bigger block and I get boost all the way to redline with no drop then again I am on a very very safe MAF tune (many issues with the people i had do some work for me and a bad boost solenoid). I know this was just your example but have you seen a 800hp STS car because if you did I think you would know better than to make that statement.

Originally Posted by 98Camarod
Coming from what experience?
I think he was just trying to say how people all ways get ripped off of there and how the parts maybe cheap. is there anyone with the ebay kit that can chime in with some info on it? I heard (now I don't know for sure) that upgrading the turbo for that kit is limited.
Old 10-23-2009, 11:37 AM
Launching!

thats why we wrap the exhaust...and i would love to see an 800 hp sts car lose to a 500 one..something is wrong if you fall off after 4200 rpms..i dont see why everyone hates on sts for coming up with a nice setup..
Old 10-23-2009, 01:55 PM
TECH Regular

I don't have any experience with either one of these kits but from what I've seen here on LS1Tech both kits make good power. What it basically comes down is choosing what cons you're willing to deal with.
Old 10-23-2009, 02:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

go STS you can always upgrade parts of it later to make it faster. Look at Jeremys rear mount running close to 9's and its streetable. I raced him after he tuned mine and was stock ls1 internals and cam and we were pulling 1000cc bikes on the interstate..