Sponsored by: DashLynx

whats a good compound to get rid of swirls

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2009, 05:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default whats a good compound to get rid of swirls

im looking to really detail my camaro before i put it away for the winter,
i was wondering what are some good products that will get rid of the lite swirls BY HAND!!
im basically looking to get the car looking perfect before i put it away for a couple months.
is 3m rubbing compund any good or stay away??
whats a good wax?? on a red camaro
i know its gonna take while but im willing to do it

i dont trust anyone else buffing my car and i dont trust myself yet

any info would help
thanks
Old 10-27-2009, 08:01 AM
On The Tree

I just did my entire car with Meguiars products. Before you ask...I used Zaino (exclusively) for 14 years. Still the best stuff I've ever used.

With that said, I had mostly fine (some you could feel) swirls. Not wanting to spend a fortune on new Zaino products, I gave Scratch X 2.0 a try, based on it's low cost and positive review. All I can say is ...WOW! The stuff worked incredibly well. It takes a bit a work (constant rubbing with moderate pressure) but the swirls and light scratches vanished. You do a small area at a time, rubbing in a hard, to medium, to light progression. Then you wipe it off before it dries with a good microfiber towel. I then used Meguiars Deep Crystal polish, followed by NXT wax/sealer. I had to have a few panels repainted, so I took care of the rest of the car so my painter could make sure to get a good color match. He was so impressed with what he saw, he couldn't believe the paint was 14 years old (mostly, I attribute this to Zaino though). But, I always had light swirls.

Give the Scratch X 2.0 a try. Don't bother with the Swirl X, which is less aggressive. I tried that too, and didn't like the product. it's too thick, dries too fast, and couldn't do much on even the lightest swirls.

One more thing - clay the car first. It takes very little time, and will remove fine abrasive particles embedded in the paint. The last thing you want to do is use the Scratch X and grind in more swirls. It's probably the biggest mistake people make. All it takes is a few particles to make more swirls.
Old 10-27-2009, 10:55 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

3Ms stuff is the only thing I use and Meguiars gold wax. But the 3M products youll need a buffer to use it..they have a 3 step process..and 3 different pads..You can get it at an Orileys or some parts stores like that..but the compounds to a walkin is really $$$ but its the best..
Old 10-27-2009, 11:38 AM
Teching In

Liquid ebony, then Pink filling glaze, then a quality wax to seal it all in. Meguires is a good choice, but I always had good success with Mothers. Good luck!
Old 10-27-2009, 12:55 PM
Staging Lane

How bad are your swirl marks. I would stay away from filling glaze because it fills the swirls and not remove them completly. Depending on your swirl makes will depend on what process you should do. You most likly wont be able to remove swirls by hand but you can fill them by hand which is not the right fix in my opinon.
Old 10-27-2009, 12:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

you have to stare at the car for while with spot lights,and then you might see them

but i look at the car every day and i can notice them, i might just leave em, but im just getting the car ready for winter storage so i want it to be spotless before i put it away for 6 months.
Old 10-27-2009, 01:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

I have a red camaro and I always finish it with Collinites no. 845...easy on/off and lasts quite a while.
Old 10-27-2009, 03:03 PM
On The Tree

Smoke Em - I'll summarize.

For about $6, try the Swirl X 2.0

If it doesn't work, you can call me whatever you feel is appropriate. I gave you my personal experience with the stuff...nothing else I can offer.
Old 10-27-2009, 03:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ill give it a try, whats the worst that can happen

thanks for the help
Old 10-27-2009, 06:15 PM
12 Second Club

I would hit it up w/ a PC or if you want to get done faster use a Dewalt 849. But use white foam pad and Meguairs 205 if that doesnt work use a orange pad. That should work perfect then hit it up again w/ a gray pad then a good sealer of your choice. Be patient and the results will be worth a million bucks! I got both polishers and a **** load of pads. If you are proud of your ride you will probably invest in something like this for sure.
Old 11-12-2009, 07:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

my hood needs to be buffed bad,
should i do it by hand with 3m rubbing compound
Old 11-12-2009, 09:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

i wanna do a complete detail on my car also. i just have some bullshit scratches. not sure where the hell they came from as i rarely drive my car. i hope the scratch X can remove the swirls and atleast get rid of these scratches.
Old 11-14-2009, 10:56 PM
On The Tree

3M rubbing compound with a variable speed polisher/sander with a foam pad then come back with a mequires glaze and finish it off with a good quality wax , i use IBIZ wax (really good stuff, best wax ever).

Quick Reply: whats a good compound to get rid of swirls