Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Which Cars Have 4" Fogs?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2009, 05:57 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which Cars Have 4" Fogs?

Ok I have been looking at some projector fogs for my TA. I didn't like any of the fogs people had been putting in there TA's. So my question is what fogs have a 4" lens? I found these for a Dodge Durango:

and another for a Jeep Cherokee:

and also these which I know are 4":

The only thing about the last ones are the aren't in a housing and I like that about the first two. So can somebody please find the diameter of the first two. I have searched all day for the diameter of the Durango, Cherokee, Dakota and found nothing. If somebody could please help me find this info it would be greatly appreciated or any other fog that is 4". Once I find one I like I'll make a write-up.
Old 10-31-2009, 02:00 AM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

What size are those fogs? Does the full ad say? Maybe you can contact the seller. I wonder what the beam pattern of those is. Usually those cheap fog projectors on ebay look terrible for output. Maybe the seller can send you some pics.
Old 10-31-2009, 05:05 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OP, hold up a couple of days. I'm gonna be making a How-to thread on installing some KC HiLites onto the T/As and WS.6s.

Old 10-31-2009, 05:57 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by xXxSilveradoxXx
OP, hold up a couple of days. I'm gonna be making a How-to thread on installing some KC HiLites onto the T/As and WS.6s.

I have had this idea..... waiting to see how this comes out.
Old 10-31-2009, 06:02 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by N2OMIKE
I have had this idea..... waiting to see how this comes out.
Car is dirty but you get the idea. The lights were just sitting in the fog light hole for preliminary measurements. I'm gonna weld up my brackets today and by Sunday evening I should have pics and a how-to thread on the subject.

Old 10-31-2009, 06:04 AM
TECH Addict

The stock fog light for comparison.

Old 10-31-2009, 11:53 AM
Copy & Paste Moderator

I have replaced my fog lights as well with new glass housings That I found at Pepboys. The brand is Cyber White, but there are similar looking ones from other brands.

Here is my write-up:
http://www.fadingarrow.com/FogLights.htm

The down side to the ones that I have is that their beam pattern isn't really a fog light. A fog light is supposed to have a low-and-wide beam pattern. These have a conical beam pattern. I'd actually like to replace them with something else. Maybe some projectors.
Old 10-31-2009, 02:31 PM
Launching!

Kinda stupid but I thought all projectors were about the same. I don't know how they work but I know this is just being nieve but if someone could help me ell the difference between a good projector and a bad that would great. Also is there a real need for projector fogs? I had a BMW and bought K2 headlights with projectors from eBay and they were great. Thats the 3rd picture. I haven't heard anything about the quality of the other two. I have also contacted the seller about the diameter of them and they haven't responded that was 3 days ago.
Old 10-31-2009, 02:52 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

The difference between a good projector and a bad projector is just like anything else: performance and build quality.

Good projector:
* bright wide beam
* good cut off
* good build quality

Bad projector:
* dim beam, poor spread
* poor build quality

There are all kinds of projectors on the market. OEM, aftermarket, and replicas of OEM. Most people stick with well known brands (OEM and aftermarket), but sometimes an replica other aftermarket actually turns out nice. The only way to know is to see other's experience or attempt it yourself.

From what I've seen, many of the "no-name" projectors on ebay are crap, but sometimes there are some nice ones.

Too bad this seller is unresponsive.

Fog lights don't have to be projectors. A fog beam is low and wide. There are reflectors that produce this beam as well. Its just that a projector is better at it.

The basic construction of a projector is:
* Single-filament bulb or HID capsule
* Reflector bowl,
* cut-off shield
* curved lens

A bi-xenon projector is pretty much the same thing. The only difference is that the cut-off shield is movable and actuated by a solenoid. When high beam is activated, the solenoid moves the shield to allow more light higher through the lens to produce a high beam pattern.

There is plenty more on projectors and hid at the forums on HID Planet.

Also there are Halogen and HID projectors. Not only do they use a different bulb, but they focus and spread the light differently. Some Halogen projectors do handle HID well, some don't.

Also there are different projectors for differenct applications: low-beam-only, bi-xenon (hi & low), fog

Last edited by VIP1; 10-31-2009 at 08:39 PM.
Old 10-31-2009, 04:27 PM
Launching!

Thats what I figured. I am wanting at some point to upgrade mine to HID. I like the first one it looks like decent quality and has a glass housing. The second ones just look cheap with a plastic housing. And the 3rd one doesn't have a housing at all and I don't think that would look right, I am trying to have one look somewhat OEM.
Old 10-31-2009, 04:33 PM
Launching!

I just wish somebody knew what size they were
Old 10-31-2009, 05:13 PM
Launching!

HAHA I finally found it!!! I found the size for a aftermarket fog for a '04 Dodge Durango Fog Light!!! They are also 4"!
Old 10-31-2009, 05:14 PM
Launching!

I think I'm gonna order the first ones and make a write-up for them. Thanks guys. Also xXxSilveradoxXx those look great also.
Old 10-31-2009, 05:16 PM
Launching!

I will also post some pics of the fogs and their beam.
Old 10-31-2009, 08:37 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Cool. I look forward to see how they turn out. I may add it to the Lighting FAQ.

Actually, before you buy, find out which bulbs they use. That makes a big difference, especially if you want to use HID later.