LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

I-shaft

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2009, 04:07 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default I-shaft

I am getting some Intermediate shaft clunking.

I was wondering if I should get a genuine GM I-Shaft or go with an after market one if there is a good one, any suggestions welcome
Old 11-01-2009, 11:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Save your money. If it is anything like mine, the shaft will still be tight but not greased up enough. Buy a tube of synthetic chassis grease and just pack it in as much as you can, make a mess if you have to, then clean up the excess. It will fix it good.
Old 11-01-2009, 08:47 PM
Staging Lane

So did you just fill the boot with grease?
Old 11-01-2009, 09:10 PM
TECH Junkie

Yes Count where did you put the grease?
Old 11-01-2009, 11:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

....I was hoping noone would ask me this...You'll see why as I explain it... The steering shaft has to be completely removed, which is not hard. Under the dash just pull back the boot and undo the nut. Do not confuse the nut end with the bolt head end, if you try to remove the bolt head you will just bust you knuckles. The jack up the nose of the car and remove the driver's side wheel. Look towards the steering rack till you see the white boot going up into the car. Raise the boot up off the rack and undo the bolt on that end. I think you can then pull the shaft out, either on the inside of the car or the outside...I dont remember... Once you get it out you will see the slip joint that has the splines....heres the erotic part.... as you try to move the joint up and down it should have a sticky action....That means its needs...lube.....Lube up splines on the shaft and try to get some grease on the back end opening of shaft by universal joint... work the lube in by moving the shaft up and down.... Really make a mess of it, just glob it on..... When you are done, just clean up the excess except what is on the is on the splines. Reinstall the shaft....
Old 11-02-2009, 06:41 PM
Staging Lane

I just put grease in the boot itself and it seemed to fix it, idk if it worked it's way into the splines or what
Old 11-03-2009, 03:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Count of Monte Carlo
....I was hoping noone would ask me this...You'll see why as I explain it... The steering shaft has to be completely removed, which is not hard. Under the dash just pull back the boot and undo the nut. Do not confuse the nut end with the bolt head end, if you try to remove the bolt head you will just bust you knuckles. The jack up the nose of the car and remove the driver's side wheel. Look towards the steering rack till you see the white boot going up into the car. Raise the boot up off the rack and undo the bolt on that end. I think you can then pull the shaft out, either on the inside of the car or the outside...I dont remember... Once you get it out you will see the slip joint that has the splines....heres the erotic part.... as you try to move the joint up and down it should have a sticky action....That means its needs...lube.....Lube up splines on the shaft and try to get some grease on the back end opening of shaft by universal joint... work the lube in by moving the shaft up and down.... Really make a mess of it, just glob it on..... When you are done, just clean up the excess except what is on the is on the splines. Reinstall the shaft....
Did you need a cigarette after finishing the job?
Old 11-03-2009, 09:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well...Yeah! Like the one that Julie Haggerty smoked in AIRPLANE!

I really suggest pulling out the shaft and greasing it proper.

Quick Reply: I-shaft