Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

people with TSP duals come in please!

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 09:31 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default people with TSP duals come in please!

Can you guys post some pics for me on how you are tucking these up? I really need some close up under the car shots. I moved the brackets for the fuel and brake lines but my pipes are still pretty low. The worst spot is right after the drivers side header, that section hangs down a lot.

On a side note, i did re-weld the tips so they are angled out to the sides rather then straight down to the ground and it eliminated all the drone and rattle inside the car
Old 11-04-2009, 12:49 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would like to see pics also. Im supposed to get mine on this weekend
Old 11-04-2009, 05:01 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 523 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by hlaalu
Can you guys post some pics for me on how you are tucking these up? I really need some close up under the car shots. I moved the brackets for the fuel and brake lines but my pipes are still pretty low. The worst spot is right after the drivers side header, that section hangs down a lot.

On a side note, i did re-weld the tips so they are angled out to the sides rather then straight down to the ground and it eliminated all the drone and rattle inside the car

There really isnt much you can do with the pipes the way they come, you cant change how they mount at the header so really you can only pull them up as high as you can get them in the rear, I wish more people/company's would use the type of pipe that my Lane's True Duals do on the driver side, on their Y pipes and X pipes.

It is a pipe that has been flattened so to speak, just like the stock pipe that used to go there, somehow though its mostly only flattened on the top side. It is wider in that area and has good transitions in the shape to keep flow up. And in the last pic you can see how those band type clamps help quite a bit too. You could probably put your pipe in a vise or something of that nature to "squish" that area and then lift it closer to the body but it would take some work and an exh shop to put a straight piece of pipe in where yours probably angles up right there, mine is just flat and straight from the header back, I believe the TSP angles down to get around that piece of the body, the Y I have from them does. That would be cool if TSP put in a pipe like this and angled the tips like you did (mine are also that way), those couple things help alot.

Anyway on with pics

Last edited by 00pooterSS; 11-04-2009 at 05:13 PM.
Old 11-04-2009, 11:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Nice pics, looks like you know how to work
Old 11-05-2009, 04:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 00pooterSS
There really isnt much you can do with the pipes the way they come, you cant change how they mount at the header so really you can only pull them up as high as you can get them in the rear, I wish more people/company's would use the type of pipe that my Lane's True Duals do on the driver side, on their Y pipes and X pipes.

It is a pipe that has been flattened so to speak, just like the stock pipe that used to go there, somehow though its mostly only flattened on the top side. It is wider in that area and has good transitions in the shape to keep flow up. And in the last pic you can see how those band type clamps help quite a bit too. You could probably put your pipe in a vise or something of that nature to "squish" that area and then lift it closer to the body but it would take some work and an exh shop to put a straight piece of pipe in where yours probably angles up right there, mine is just flat and straight from the header back, I believe the TSP angles down to get around that piece of the body, the Y I have from them does. That would be cool if TSP put in a pipe like this and angled the tips like you did (mine are also that way), those couple things help alot.

Anyway on with pics

What kinda headers are those that you have? I looks like the 02 bugs are on the outside instead of the inside.
Old 11-05-2009, 07:57 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by thewholefnshow1
What kinda headers are those that you have? I looks like the 02 bugs are on the outside instead of the inside.
Hookers, the driver side runs up and over the header and I put the connector behind the heat shield, in that pic I havent fully finished tucking the wire, hooker placed the passenger bung on the outside though, which if you route it up the K member and tie it to the abs wire that works out good, its actually easier to route the wire from the outside bungs than it is to go up and over the header then back up to the front
Old 11-05-2009, 10:34 AM
TECH Addict

Nice pics. I'll take some of mine so you can see what I'm talking about. It's really hard to explain but it sags down at that pipe right after the drivers header. I think I need to cut that pipe a little or something so it fits better.
Old 11-05-2009, 02:16 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by hlaalu
Nice pics. I'll take some of mine so you can see what I'm talking about. It's really hard to explain but it sags down at that pipe right after the drivers header. I think I need to cut that pipe a little or something so it fits better.

I pretty much know what you are dealin with I have a TSP y pipe and they angle the pipe down right there I would go to an exhaust shop maybe with a pic of mine and see if they can fix you up. But go ahead and post some pics so we can see
Old 11-05-2009, 04:23 PM
TECH Addict

k guys here are the pics

Old 11-05-2009, 05:50 PM
TECH Veteran

That pipe needs to be remade with a piece of crushed or oval pipe.

like I said take it to a exh shop and show them how mine is done or tell them to take that pipe off and smash it, it will still have the same effective diameter if it is flattened so it will still flow. they put that angled down pipe there to clear but dont angle it back up and even if they did it would still have a big dip hanging down, so either do like my exhaust or notch the body right there and run a piece of straight pipe, if you notched the body you would have to reinforce the area you cut out somehow since that is a structural part there.
Old 11-05-2009, 07:27 PM
TECH Addict

I had some for awhile and got sick of scraping, i went back to a y setup and lost no performance maybe the sound but they were too loud for my tastes. I would not flatten the pipe there is no way that can flow as well as the continuous round pipe.
Old 11-05-2009, 07:42 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by jrob56
I had some for awhile and got sick of scraping, i went back to a y setup and lost no performance maybe the sound but they were too loud for my tastes. I would not flatten the pipe there is no way that can flow as well as the continuous round pipe.
so you think dumping two 3 inch pipes into one 3 inch will do better than two 3 inch into two 3 inch with one formed differently? lol

the only thing that could hurt flow is where the pipe makes a transition in shape, and in this case that would be extremely marginal, pipe for pipe a ovaled or "flattened" pipe will flow just as much cfm as a round pipe if the effective volumes are the same.

and on the other side of that coin, air actually flows better over say a radius when it has a flat bottom and curved roof, look at the ports on the LS1 head, one of the reasons they flow so well is the cathedral port, its flat on the bottom and semi pointed on the top, if round flowed better they would be circular.

it will still flow just fine, it still has the same effective volume, it doesn't get smaller it just changes shape. look at the stock one. our cars put down over 300 to the ground stock with that tiny flattened thing on them. and this will be a much larger version of that.

Last edited by 00pooterSS; 11-05-2009 at 07:52 PM.
Old 11-05-2009, 08:16 PM
TECH Addict

so you think dumping two 3 inch pipes into one 3 inch will do better than two 3 inch into two 3 inch with one formed differently? lol

the only thing that could hurt flow is where the pipe makes a transition in shape, and in this case that would be extremely marginal, pipe for pipe a ovaled or "flattened" pipe will flow just as much cfm as a round pipe if the effective volumes are the same.

and on the other side of that coin, air actually flows better over say a radius when it has a flat bottom and curved roof, look at the ports on the LS1 head, one of the reasons they flow so well is the cathedral port, its flat on the bottom and semi pointed on the top, if round flowed better they would be circular.

it will still flow just fine, it still has the same effective volume, it doesn't get smaller it just changes shape. look at the stock one. our cars put down over 300 to the ground stock with that tiny flattened thing on them. and this will be a much larger version of that.
no i wasnt saying two into one is gonna flow better then two into two, i was just stating i made the switch and why, at the bolt on level (my level) i dont think your gonna find a difference... the question seems to come up when i post in a dual thread and people see i dont have them on my car. to me the rattles, clearance and loudness wasnt worth the tone and flow.

you might be right the difference would be small but i still think there would be one and if your running duals your looking for all the flow you can get. if you want to bring ports into this the new rectangular ports actually flow even better so we should probably switch to rectangular piping. that would flow the best. i think thats an apples to oranges comparison...
Old 11-05-2009, 08:36 PM
Man-Crush Warning

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hlaalu, you don't have that x pipe put together right, or its not adjusted correctly. I just took my duals off a couple of days ago, and it did not look like that. Mine were tucked up nice on both sides. I don't have any pics, so I know this isn't much help. But I know that isn't put on right.
Old 11-05-2009, 08:44 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by jrob56
no i wasnt saying two into one is gonna flow better then two into two, i was just stating i made the switch and why, at the bolt on level (my level) i dont think your gonna find a difference... the question seems to come up when i post in a dual thread and people see i dont have them on my car. to me the rattles, clearance and loudness wasnt worth the tone and flow.

you might be right the difference would be small but i still think there would be one and if your running duals your looking for all the flow you can get. if you want to bring ports into this the new rectangular ports actually flow even better so we should probably switch to rectangular piping. that would flow the best. i think thats an apples to oranges comparison...
Ok I see, well really I had pretty much just as bad of scraping with my TSP Y pipe as I do with the duals so I think both suck on that aspect, but I in turn love the sound versus a Y so ill take my scrape-y duals. And you said "if you run duals you looking for all the flow you can get", but even then I think with a flattened pipe you would still get your best flowing option of any if we use the "general largest" being a 4"... but in my case I run duals cause I like them more than a Y or dumped Y for sound etc. So that part is a personal choice. Also for what its worth my car spins harder on launches and on upshifts and feels faster with the duals than when I run the TSP Y pipe and my SLP dual/dual cat back and thats with the drag radials so I would surely think its from more power.

Anyway I see what your saying now, ill stop hijacking now.
Old 11-05-2009, 08:52 PM
TECH Addict

Ok I see, well really I had pretty much just as bad of scraping with my TSP Y pipe as I do with the duals so I think both suck on that aspect, but I in turn love the sound versus a Y so ill take my scrape-y duals. And you said "if you run duals you looking for all the flow you can get", but even then I think with a flattened pipe you would still get your best flowing option of any if we use the "general largest" being a 4"... but in my case I run duals cause I like them more than a Y or dumped Y for sound etc. So that part is a personal choice. Also for what its worth my car spins harder on launches and on upshifts and feels faster with the duals than when I run the TSP Y pipe and my SLP dual/dual cat back and thats with the drag radials so I would surely think its from more power.

Anyway I see what your saying now, ill stop hijacking now.
Ya we are on the same page, and it is hard to beat the sound of duals. They did bring a smile to my face at every start up!

/hijack
Old 11-05-2009, 09:36 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 01sscam
hlaalu, you don't have that x pipe put together right, or its not adjusted correctly. I just took my duals off a couple of days ago, and it did not look like that. Mine were tucked up nice on both sides. I don't have any pics, so I know this isn't much help. But I know that isn't put on right.
we also tried it with the X pipe flipped upside down and it was about the same. post some pics if you can.
Old 11-05-2009, 09:49 PM
10 Second Club

I installed some Pacesetter longtubes & TSP duals on nhra-trans-am's car and it didn't hang that low. I don't remember but I think his might of been catted if it makes a difference.
Old 11-12-2009, 08:25 AM
TECH Resident

I had the same issue but mine hung down way lower than that. We tried flipping it over and everything we did would not fix the issue. I took it to an exhaust shop the next day and they cut and rewelded that section. It fits much better now. The guy at the shop said the piece was just too long to begin with.
Old 11-12-2009, 02:08 PM
TECH Resident

Got my tsp true duals installed two days ago and my piece hanging down like hlaalu. Im probably gonna take it in and have a shop put a new piece in