Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4L65 trans issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2009, 05:11 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow 4L65 trans issue

Hello people,This is my last hope since nobody cant tell me whats going on with my tranny.
I have 02' Z28 Camaro that is almost stock (for now, though), the 4L60E transmission was in a perfect working condition and shifts like a caddy, downshifts and up shifts are normal; but whatever I do, it is always impossible to choose the first gear by the trans manual selector, and will skip shift to the second gear whenever I choose the 1st one.

I decided to overhaul and upgrade my tranny to the 4L65 specs just to be prepared for the coming mods which is TFS heads, cam and bolt ons. In addition to the upgrade, I also installed Transgo HD2 and corvette servo which I thought will solve my manual shifting issue, BUT the surprise is..... I still have the same ******* problem
The PCM has been scanned by Tech II, the results show that the 2nd,3rd and 4th gear solinoids are functioning perfectly but we were shocked when we did not found the 1st gear solenoid in the scanner.
Do anyone know where are the solenoids located? are they inside the tranny itself? Do you have any idea why this shitty trany is acting up?
Thanks a lot.
Old 11-05-2009, 05:29 AM
Launching!

drop the pan they are right there. Toward the back of the car. I broke one before. I was putting the pan back on.
Old 11-05-2009, 11:33 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by tallChevy
drop the pan they are right there. Toward the back of the car. I broke one before. I was putting the pan back on.
Thanks for your input, you had the same problem? is it solinoid or electrical?
it's going to first, put when I put the gear in 1st, the car run in 2nd.

any one can help plz.
Old 11-05-2009, 11:41 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

There is no 1st gear solenoid there is a 1-2 (A) and a 2-3 (B) but even those names are deceiving. Since in reality heres what happens

A and B on makes first
A off and B on makes second
Both solenoids off make 3rd
A on and B off make 4th

But non of this is related to your problem. Factory the PCM will overide the manaul selector when in first gears and force and upshift to second at some preset rpm and mph. The transgo kit will overide this however its not something I prefer doing , However if after the transgo it still happens you did something wrong when installing the 1-2 shift valve behind solenoid A probably to do with the position of the small check ball and spring.

Call 888-744-6542

Old 11-05-2009, 12:06 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by performabuilt
There is no 1st gear solenoid there is a 1-2 (A) and a 2-3 (B) but even those names are deceiving. Since in reality heres what happens

A and B on makes first
A off and B on makes second
Both solenoids off make 3rd
A on and B off make 4th

But non of this is related to your problem. Factory the PCM will overide the manaul selector when in first gears and force and upshift to second at some preset rpm and mph. The transgo kit will overide this however its not something I prefer doing , However if after the transgo it still happens you did something wrong when installing the 1-2 shift valve behind solenoid A probably to do with the position of the small check ball and spring.
thanks for input.

forget about the rebuild, what about before installing the transgo, when the trans was stock, the problem was there, even when full throttle and the gear in 1st, it run in 2nd, any idea?
Old 11-05-2009, 02:53 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Thats what I was saying its normal for the PCM to overide and allow the 1-2 shift to happen even when in manual low.

Call 888-744-6542

Old 11-05-2009, 04:11 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by performabuilt
Thats what I was saying its normal for the PCM to overide and allow the 1-2 shift to happen even when in manual low.
don't you think it's the 1st gear sensor?
Old 11-05-2009, 04:56 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

No its not a sensor. What I am saying is that the trans and pcm were designed by gm to not allow you to hold first beyond a certain mph and rpm. even when the shifter is in manual low .

Call 888-744-6542