Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Heated Seat Not Working Drivers Side

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2009, 10:56 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heated Seat Not Working Drivers Side

Help! Its getting cold out

My drivers side heated seat does not work. Passenger side works fine hi and low.

When you hit the drivers side button, you can hear a click in the dash so i assume the switch iteslf is working and sounds like its clicking on a relay. No indicator lights come on in the dash and no heat from set.

Anyone else experience this problem?

Thanks!
Tom
Old 11-05-2009, 11:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

damn seems like your having a rough time with the car lately. mine burn me up i could imagine a fuse being blown. i noticed you are from maryland. what part?
Old 11-06-2009, 08:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

bad fuse or bad heater coil...check the fuse then get a meter and check for power at the plug under the seat
Old 11-06-2009, 01:15 PM
10 Second Club

I live in Taneytown, and travel all over Baltimore, Carroll, Harford, and Howard Counties for work.

I am going to start with exactly your thoughts Punishment. I am hoping that it is just a fuse.
Old 11-18-2011, 02:21 PM
10 Second Club

Well I finally took some time today to dig into this seat problem. I found some info online that if you listened and had two quick clicks when hitting the button and you got the hi and low indicator, you probably had a broken wire.

I notice in my original post (better than my memory) that there were no lights in the dash. When I started today I would get a high and low light in the dash and a double-click from under the seat.

There is a fuse for each seat in the fuse boxes under the back seat. Both are fine.

Removing the bottom cushion is very easy. Once I had it off of the frame I pulled the cover 3/4 of the way off and found the front element wires to both be broken off. I solidered and heat-shrink'd them both back together. Plugged everything back in and then had no lights in the dash when hitting the button .

I then removed the passenger side cushion and swapped the little control units from side to side. The passenger side now gets no lights but clicks. The drivers side does now appear to be working though! So, it seems the wiring AND the control unit are to blame...
Old 11-23-2011, 01:41 AM
TECH Resident

Ooooh, the seat cushion comes off???? That's music to my ears because I'm having the same issue with my drivers side heated seat not working, and I really didn't want to have to remove the whole seat to troubleshoot. I too get little 'clicks' from either under the seat or under the dash or in the door or something, and my hi/low display seems to work fine, just no heat. My wife's side works just fine though... Go figure. lol
Old 11-23-2011, 01:42 AM
TECH Resident

Forgot to ask... How'd you remove the seat cushion?
Old 11-23-2011, 04:48 PM
TECH Resident

Well. Reading your post last night lit a fire under my *** to figure this problem out today. I removed the bottom seat cushion fairly easily, and instantly noticed that the lead wires going to the front seat heater coil (?) were both broken. The wire appeared brittle and perhaps werent positioned well under the seat cushion, causing stress on them when someone sat on the seat.
Ive never soldered before, so luckily I had enough wire to play with that I was able to strip the ends back and use crimp connectors to re-attach the wires. I put everything back together an tested the heat - worked like a charm.

Old 11-24-2011, 08:57 AM
10 Second Club

Cool man that's where mine were broken too. Glad it works.
Old 08-22-2012, 10:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wes8398
Well. Reading your post last night lit a fire under my *** to figure this problem out today. I removed the bottom seat cushion fairly easily, and instantly noticed that the lead wires going to the front seat heater coil (?) were both broken. The wire appeared brittle and perhaps werent positioned well under the seat cushion, causing stress on them when someone sat on the seat.
Ive never soldered before, so luckily I had enough wire to play with that I was able to strip the ends back and use crimp connectors to re-attach the wires. I put everything back together an tested the heat - worked like a charm.

Reviving an old thread, but can someone tell me where those wires are relative to the bottom cushion? Or perhaps have a photo where it's zoomed out a bit?

Thanks!
Old 08-22-2012, 11:43 AM
TECH Resident

DrSpeed - once you get the seat cushion off, it's pretty self explanatory. The wires are on the bottom side of the cushion. You just have to peel the upholstery back a bit and you'll start seeing where everything is.
Old 08-22-2012, 03:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

gotcha. I imagine that the seat's gotta come out to get the cushion off?

Any special sockets (torx, etc) to get the seats out?
Old 08-22-2012, 05:12 PM
TECH Resident

Negative. The bottom seat cushion will come off withOUT removing the seat. I found resources either here or at Cadillac forums which waked me through getting the cushion off and repairing the wires. Of course, I don't have the link(s) anymore, so you'll have to search em out yourself if you want em.
Old 08-22-2012, 10:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

w-h-a-t???? search teh intarwebs by myself???
Old 08-25-2012, 07:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

DrSpeed, if you opt to remove the seat, there's a large torx screw you'll see if you push the seat the whole way forward.
Old 08-31-2012, 11:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Got a set of large torx sockets to remove the seats from my Superduty...thanks for the tip!
Old 12-09-2012, 07:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Hmmm...digging up this thread again. Pulled the seat out, turned the cushion up, and found those wires.

Nothing looked burned, it all was connected. Stripped back some duct tape, and found that the black wire with red tracer had a resistor of sorts crimped in there too.
Old 10-05-2014, 03:37 PM
TECH Regular

which controller did you swap??? same exact thing on my car... I fixed both of the broken wires. if I need to get a control box or something just wanna make sure I get the right one

Quick Reply: Heated Seat Not Working Drivers Side