Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4L65E/Vig 3200 installed!

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2003, 11:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4L65E/Vig 3200 installed!

Well, I finally drove my Z tonite after a month of it sitting broken in my garage. The new tranny feels real good and i swear the Vig is stalling around 3600 or so (looser than my BROKEN TCS 3400). Thanx to all the people who gave me info about swapping the L65 into a an F-body!

MiKe
Old 12-09-2003, 11:49 PM
Gev
TECH Addict

What is the advantage of going to a 4L65E?
Old 12-10-2003, 11:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

- Hardened input shaft
- Hardened output shaft
- stronger Lower/Reverse roller clutch
- 7 clutches in 3-4 clutch pack instead of 6
- Hi-energy clutches instead of stockers
- deeper pan (2 quarts extra i believe, i installed a B+M that holds 3 quarts extra just for max cooling anyway)
- 5-pinion planet gears instead of 4-pinion
- upgraded sun gear
- recalibrated valve body operation (im guessing it means better quality shifts)
- Brand new, not a rebuild
- 12-month warranty
- Obviously all parts are genuine GM and not some rip off (like the chinese-made 5-pinion planets that have a reputation for exploding)
- Im not positive but i believe it also has a larger intermediate servo.

built to go behind the 6.0L and the LS6.
Old 12-10-2003, 01:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

i have a vig 3200 also and they do stall around 3600-3800
Old 12-10-2003, 02:11 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by DeepBlueZ
- recalibrated valve body operation (im guessing it means better quality shifts)
Did this trans come new from GM as a 4L65E AWD truck unit that you converted for use in 2WD? Or did you get it from the GMPP catalog? The reason I ask is that the GMPP trans is already set up for use as a 2WD trans (it's the trans used behind LS1's in Holden applications). The main difference between the two (other than the fact that one is AWD and one is 2WD) is that the GMPP trans is "hardware calibrated" (spacer-plate orifices, springs, valves) similar to the F-body/Corvette trans while the AWD trans is calibrated as a truck. If you have the truck trans, that's mostly good news. But you may want to consider the corvette spacer plate (pn 24218161) to get a more car-friendly calibration that will work better with your PCM (assuming your PCM is stock).

- Im not positive but i believe it also has a larger intermediate servo.
Same question as above, truck trans or GMPP? If you got the truck trans your servo is only a 0.55 ratio instead of the Vette/F-Car/Holden 0.74 ratio. The 0.74 is too harsh for the inertia of a truck to be pleasable in stock form (performance builds are different). If you have a truck 4L65E, you need to get a new servo. This is more important than the spacer plate. Part number is 24216270.

Overall good choice though. Let us know how it works.
Old 12-10-2003, 04:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

well the crate had a sticker that said GM performance parts on it....but at the same time it had the truck tailhousing and shift linkage so i dunno? are the 2WD trannies set up with the correct tailhousing and stuff already? thanx for the info bad apple...
Old 12-11-2003, 12:36 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I read that the 4L65E is rated to 400hp. Better than the 4L60E, but dosent seem to be strong enough for most of us. Could be wrong, though.
Old 12-11-2003, 05:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Are the gear ratios the same in this tranny; and its essentially just a stronger 4L60E from the factory? How would this tranny compare to something like Yank's 4L70?
Old 12-11-2003, 08:45 AM
Staging Lane

well the crate had a sticker that said GM performance parts on it....but at the same time it had the truck tailhousing and shift linkage so i dunno? are the 2WD trannies set up with the correct tailhousing and stuff already? thanx for the info bad apple...
Hmm. I'm a little confused. Are you sure it was an AWD truck tailhousing (big opening in back like it's ready to mate to a transfer case) and not just a 2WD-Holden tailhousing? The Holden model would be similar to the one on your car without the provisions to bolt on the torque arm.

The fact that the crate said "GMPP" leads me to beleive you got the Holden/GMPP trans (a good thing). Two more questions:
1) Do you remember the part number? Truck: 24217285, Holden/GMPP: 24221888.

2) Is there a serial number sticker on top? Truck: 613KZD......... Holden/GMPP: 613HZD.........
Old 12-11-2003, 08:55 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 11 Bravo
I read that the 4L65E is rated to 400hp. Better than the 4L60E, but dosent seem to be strong enough for most of us. Could be wrong, though.
It's "rated" to 380 ft-lbs. The "rating" of each trans is identical to the torque output of the largest engine it's currently mated to . In this case, the 380 ft-lbs of the 6.0L LQ9 found in the H2/Escalade/Denali. They're always capable of more than their artificial "rating". For the 4L65E, depending on the weight of the vehicle and a few other things, you're good to about 400hp/400ft-lbs. You probably won't see 100,000 miles at that power level, but it'll last longer than a "race-prepped" trans. Which is nothing against the race-trannies, they're just not intended for long term use.
Old 12-11-2003, 09:04 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Trojan T/A
Are the gear ratios the same in this tranny; and its essentially just a stronger 4L60E from the factory? How would this tranny compare to something like Yank's 4L70?
Gear ratios are the same. Capacity for torque is higher. See below for comparisons to race-prepped trannies. The Yank will better serve you for a short-rebuild cycle, extremely-high-torque car that gets raced often. The 4L65E will work better for a milder/less raced car and for an owner who won't tolerate frequent rebuilds. The racer's know all about "pay-to-play", so anything that can handle their massive torque for a reasonable amount of time is a good buy.
Old 12-11-2003, 10:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

i did get the GMPP one then because i know the part number was 24221888. also the tailhousing looked exactly like a 4L60 without the torque arm bolt holes. also im pretty sure there was an HZD on the sticker on top. do the holden applications use a longer shift lever or the same as the 4L60? mine had the longer one which had to be switched.

either way i guess its fairly conclusive i have the GMPP/Holden Tranny.

thanx for the help BAD APPLE.

Last edited by DeepBlueZ; 12-11-2003 at 11:06 AM.
Old 12-11-2003, 12:49 PM
Staging Lane

do the holden applications use a longer shift lever or the same as the 4L60? mine had the longer one which had to be switched.

either way i guess its fairly conclusive i have the GMPP/Holden Tranny.

thanx for the help BAD APPLE.
There are several manual shafts out there. The Holden's trans tunnel must allow and/or require a longer one.

Happy to help.

Quick Reply: 4L65E/Vig 3200 installed!