Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

"Black" border of front and rear glass...

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2003, 01:26 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thumbs down "Black" border of front and rear glass...

... especially the rear glass.
I have a black 01 SS with 20% on the rear glass and that border on the inside of the glass - around the perimeter of the window - is obviously far from black. It is much closer to gray or brown and it looks like crap in direct light of any kind. I don't think it helps that the car is black and the glass is tinted.
Has anyone else seen this? Is there any recourse?
Old 12-10-2003, 03:09 PM
TECH Regular

your best bet to hide the speckled portion of the stock sunshade in the rear hatch is to go buy a strip of black adhesive vinyl, cut it to shape, and attach it... will not see anything from the outside anymore
Old 12-10-2003, 03:16 PM
Humanitarian

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That doesn't sound right. Was the window cleaned before the tint was applied? You can use a polish or 0000 steel wool.

If your talking about the air bubbles on the top of the rear hatch... I don't know what to tell you, every f-bodie I've seen with tint suffers from that.
Old 12-10-2003, 03:51 PM
On The Tree

The border that I'm talking about is the material that comes attached to the inside of the glass around the perimeter from the factory. It's the stuff that borders the transparent part of the glass. The dot matrix is more of the same stuff I'm referring to. The tint is fine and comes right up to this stuff on the inside of the glass and overlaps it slightly. (My tint comes up over the dot matrix too - it's a bit gray in that area because of the gaps the dots create under the tint film - but it's not bad).
The problem is the color of the factory glass border itself (a couple inches wide bordering the perimeter of the window). That's the stuff that is a gray/brown color in direct light. Anyone seen this?
Old 12-10-2003, 04:06 PM
Customizing Director

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I know what you are talking about. In direct sunlight it seems a bit lighter then my tint (4%). But it doesn't seem that bad on mine.
Old 12-10-2003, 04:12 PM
On The Tree

Yea, I've kept my eyes out for this on other f-bodys. My case of this anomaly is not subtle.
Old 12-22-2003, 06:19 PM
TECH Resident

mine does it too. but have noticed that others care better or worst depends on the car
Old 12-24-2003, 12:06 PM
Launching!

yea. mine does that. i got my side windows tinted yetserday and the dude said they use a black vynal strip right there so it looks clean.
Old 12-24-2003, 12:35 PM
TECH Regular

reference reply above.... as i stated awhile ago above.....black adhesive vinyl strip cut to shape will eliminate the apparent grey/white appearance from the outside on the rear hatch as the tint cannot completely seat down due to the dot matrix....

Quick Reply: "Black" border of front and rear glass...