Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Hardtop Guys Come In

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 12:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Hardtop Guys Come In

How do I go about taking off my old headliner and replacing it? I just want to put new material and glue it on there, right now its saggin pretty bad lol
Old 11-11-2009, 09:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Both cars are hardtops. What you do is remove it fro
the rear hatch. Remove sun visor and the trim around the door. The sail panels too to make it easier. I got mine glued from a shop that dose it. I didn't waste my time with the autozone glue
Old 11-11-2009, 09:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Reject
Both cars are hardtops. What you do is remove it fro
the rear hatch. Remove sun visor and the trim around the door. The sail panels too to make it easier. I got mine glued from a shop that dose it. I didn't waste my time with the autozone glue
How much did you spend in supplies for the whole project?
Or did the shop do the entire thing?
Old 11-11-2009, 09:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

About 65 totally worth it
Old 11-11-2009, 10:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sounds about right. I'm thinkin of doin a different color besides the ugly tan. Did you stick with the stock color?
Old 11-11-2009, 10:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Option Two...

Originally Posted by dabest09
How much did you spend in supplies for the whole project?
Or did the shop do the entire thing?
Reject's procedure is correct, however, 3M makes an adhesive specifically for headliner material - that's an option too.

I got my can at a fabrics store about 4 years ago for $5, if I recall correctly.
Old 11-12-2009, 08:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

changed mine to black. Belongs there IMO
Old 11-14-2009, 11:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I did mine in black microsuede using the 3M headliner adhesive as well. The hardest part is removing the headliner. As long as you are using a material that will stretch a bit it is very easy. I used 2-way stretch (stretches in 2 directions). The glue holds up fine, just do thin coats. Black definitely looks better!
Old 11-14-2009, 12:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

I did mine in my old car in vinyl that matched the leather really well. The specific glue is really good if you do it yourself!! It sprays the glue in a wide pattern, it looks like spider webbing. This is one of the easiest things you can ever do, not worth taking to a shop IMO.
Old 11-14-2009, 12:31 PM
no title here

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am redoing mine along h the rest of my interior in black Alcantara. Which is an auto specific micro swede used in high end cars. I am having it done since I am redoing the fabric so the sun visors can be redone to match.
Old 11-14-2009, 01:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Good point. The visors are the difficult part. I painted my charcoal visors with black fabric paint and they blend well with the headliner but they don't look like microsuede...
Old 11-14-2009, 02:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ah i forgot that my visors were that ugly tan color as well. Would it be easy to wrap them in the same material used for my headliner?
Old 11-14-2009, 04:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Another question to those who have already replaced theirs: Where did you buy the material ?
Old 11-14-2009, 11:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Another question to those who have already replaced theirs: Where did you buy the material ?
A locally owned craft store called Joannes BUT any craft store will have material, and Wal Mart has a fabric section that should carry it. Well, depending on what you're looking for
Old 11-15-2009, 12:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Me too... Jo-anne's. I think I got a few funny looks (I didn't exactly fit in) but hey, you gotta do what you gotta do.
the visors are not gonna be easy... you need a sewing machine. They aren't the favorite of professionals either!

Here's a rundown on removing the Headliner:
1. remove the visors.
2. Unscrew and remove the courtesy light and remove one of those annoying plastic pop rivets.
3. pry out the center button on the coat hangers.
4. remove the weatherstrip trim. you will need to pull back gently on the trim and then use a flat head screwdriver to pop the three clips per side.
5. pull the leading edge of the sail fins out of the way.
6. pop the retainers out of the seatbelt reals and move the belts through the access slits.

Last edited by DriftR; 11-15-2009 at 12:50 AM.
Old 11-15-2009, 09:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anyone have pics of wrapping their headliner in vinyl? I've got that ugly tan interior. However, my headliner is still in decent condition (just looks stained/dirty/old) like no sags or anything. However, when I can afford to redo my interior in ebony or equivalent, I planned on wrapping the headliner in black/ebony vinly to match. Figured, no sags, and it would leave a smooth surface for us tall guys to rub the top of our heads on.
I also planned on deleting my sun visors as they get in the way of everything. Lol.
Old 11-15-2009, 01:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by DriftR
Me too... Jo-anne's. I think I got a few funny looks (I didn't exactly fit in) but hey, you gotta do what you gotta do.
the visors are not gonna be easy... you need a sewing machine. They aren't the favorite of professionals either!

Here's a rundown on removing the Headliner:
1. remove the visors.
2. Unscrew and remove the courtesy light and remove one of those annoying plastic pop rivets.
3. pry out the center button on the coat hangers.
4. remove the weatherstrip trim. you will need to pull back gently on the trim and then use a flat head screwdriver to pop the three clips per side.
5. pull the leading edge of the sail fins out of the way.
6. pop the retainers out of the seatbelt reals and move the belts through the access slits.
My mom mentioned Jo-anne's so it looks like i'll be going there this week. Hopefully i can tackle this project by the weekend. One problem. My visors are bent on the outer sides closest to the side windows (if you can picture that). Would wrapping them be even more difficult considering there is a bend? Also DriftR do you have any pictures of your installed headliner? I'm still debating on what color/material to use. I think you said you chose microsuede?
Old 11-15-2009, 03:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

My mom mentioned Jo-anne's so it looks like i'll be going there this week. Hopefully i can tackle this project by the weekend. One problem. My visors are bent on the outer sides closest to the side windows (if you can picture that). Would wrapping them be even more difficult considering there is a bend? Also DriftR do you have any pictures of your installed headliner? I'm still debating on what color/material to use. I think you said you chose microsuede?
Aren't all visors like that? All my Fbods have been anyway
Old 11-15-2009, 04:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by evilZO6
Aren't all visors like that? All my Fbods have been anyway
Well the passenger side sags more than the driver's side so I wasn't sure. About how much material do you think would be enough to cover the entire headliner plus the visors?
Old 11-18-2009, 07:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ok guys i bought the headliner with the backing foam today so i'm hoping to get it done in the next few days if the rain subsides. Might even try doin a write up but dont know if i'm up to the challenge lol. One more question for you guys. Which spray adhesive works the best? I never want to replace this thing again so i want the strongest available glue LOL

Quick Reply: Hardtop Guys Come In