Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Selling a car in PA with bank holding the title???

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2009, 08:24 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Selling a car in PA with bank holding the title???

anyone ever sell a car to a private party where they still owed money on?? what did ya need to do??

what im thinkin is ill need to pay the car off and then sell it but what happens when the owner owes too much to just pay off in one shot..what happens there?? hows it work??
Old 11-15-2009, 08:36 AM
9 Second Club

Call the bank ahead of time tell them to have the tittle present. Tell them you are selling the car and bringing cash in with the buyer to payoff the car and take the tittle to be transferred. Go in with the buyer who has the cash or certified check. The bank will take in the money and hand you the tittle. I sold a truck this way.

Most banks do not hold the titles in hand...
Old 11-15-2009, 09:02 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by mikep2002
Call the bank ahead of time tell them to have the tittle present. Tell them you are selling the car and bringing cash in with the buyer to payoff the car and take the tittle to be transferred. Go in with the buyer who has the cash or certified check. The bank will take in the money and hand you the tittle. I sold a truck this way.

Most banks do not hold the titles in hand...
ok..i went with capitol one and when i sent the title in to them i know it wasnt anywhere here near me so i can request them to send it to one of their local banks and proceed that way??
Old 11-15-2009, 09:09 AM
Humanitarian

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If the buyer is pre-approved for a loan for the remaining balance of what you owe on the card, tell your bank that and they'll want you to fax the info.

If the buyer has cash for the remaining amount you can work with your bank and tell them you'll be sending cash to pay off the car, when you receive the title just mail it to the buyer.

The easiest way I feel is to have the buyer finance the remaining amount of the loan under his name with the same bank. Sign a few papers, he takes over the payment plan and you walk away.
Old 11-16-2009, 07:21 PM
TECH Resident

This is how I bought my car. I got it in Md but it should work the same in Pa. I paid the guy and he used the money to pay off his loan and then he gave me the title.

My sister works for a bank and she said they normally have electronic titles and would need to order the paper copy. Give the bank a heads up to order the title. I took a personal loan out for the price of the car at a higher interest rate but transfered it to an auto loan once I had the title in hand.
Old 11-16-2009, 07:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I've sold a car with the bank holding the title also, with an out of town bank. It took about a month to get the title, so you have to be patient. $.02
Old 11-16-2009, 07:53 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the buyer send me money. I paid off the loan, and received the title in a week or so. Then I transferred the title according to PA and whatever their state's laws required.

To put the buyer at ease I typed a bill of sale stating the facts of the deal as insurance for both of us. It basically said that upon receipt of $xxxx, funds clearing, and receipt of the title, the vehicle would be transferred at that time.

Selling the Formula????
Old 11-16-2009, 08:29 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by White.Lightning
I had the buyer send me money. I paid off the loan, and received the title in a week or so. Then I transferred the title according to PA and whatever their state's laws required.

To put the buyer at ease I typed a bill of sale stating the facts of the deal as insurance for both of us. It basically said that upon receipt of $xxxx, funds clearing, and receipt of the title, the vehicle would be transferred at that time.

Selling the Formula????
the Formula or the TT.....or both..

got something new in mind....it'll happen in a couple months.
Old 11-16-2009, 08:30 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Joe "Preachers Sheets" DIESO
If the buyer is pre-approved for a loan for the remaining balance of what you owe on the card, tell your bank that and they'll want you to fax the info.

If the buyer has cash for the remaining amount you can work with your bank and tell them you'll be sending cash to pay off the car, when you receive the title just mail it to the buyer.

The easiest way I feel is to have the buyer finance the remaining amount of the loan under his name with the same bank. Sign a few papers, he takes over the payment plan and you walk away.
Originally Posted by mrhzk35404
This is how I bought my car. I got it in Md but it should work the same in Pa. I paid the guy and he used the money to pay off his loan and then he gave me the title.

My sister works for a bank and she said they normally have electronic titles and would need to order the paper copy. Give the bank a heads up to order the title. I took a personal loan out for the price of the car at a higher interest rate but transfered it to an auto loan once I had the title in hand.
Originally Posted by 87gnx
I've sold a car with the bank holding the title also, with an out of town bank. It took about a month to get the title, so you have to be patient. $.02
thanx for the responses fellas. big help
Old 11-16-2009, 08:52 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Smells like a Corvette. An atomic orange one like Bruce.
Old 11-16-2009, 10:05 PM
Launching!

Nah, you are actually just smelling Bruce. He ate a bunch of hot wings tonight!
Old 11-17-2009, 06:45 AM
11 Second Club

haha...i dont have that kinda coin. plus its not very practical with the newborn. im thinking something a little bigger...but it still has a ls3 in it..
Old 11-17-2009, 07:33 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought my car from Lou's girl in MA, they were refered to me by Brad. I am from CT and they are up in Peabody.

They owed coin on the car and the bank that held title was in Arkansas of all places so no title present. So I go up, inspect. Approve, make the deal. 2nd trip I bring 2/3 of the amount in the bankers check, take the car right then and there and bring it home. They cash the check to pay the loan and get the title. It took like 2 VERY unnerving weeks. Then I get the call to finish the deal, I take the rest and get the title and then I go and register it.

It worked but like said, if I did not have the ok by JL and his vouching of the other party, I probably would have not done it.
Old 11-17-2009, 08:43 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by BlackScreaminMachine
I bought my car from Lou's girl in MA, they were refered to me by Brad. I am from CT and they are up in Peabody.

They owed coin on the car and the bank that held title was in Arkansas of all places so no title present. So I go up, inspect. Approve, make the deal. 2nd trip I bring 2/3 of the amount in the bankers check, take the car right then and there and bring it home. They cash the check to pay the loan and get the title. It took like 2 VERY unnerving weeks. Then I get the call to finish the deal, I take the rest and get the title and then I go and register it.

It worked but like said, if I did not have the ok by JL and his vouching of the other party, I probably would have not done it.
yeah...thats a tough one. but its all good when you deal with honest people which in this day in age is hard to find. you just never know. i know it has to be nerve racking though while you're waiting..lol.

ill probably end up paying it off first before i go through the whole selling process...will probably end up making things alot easier on myself and the potential buyer.
Old 11-17-2009, 06:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i just sold my evo wich i owed money on.... i had the buyer give me a deposit, Once i had that i called citizens auto finance and payed the rest of the car off via credit card. Once that was approved i had the title overnighted and then the kid came and picked my car up.

Quick Reply: Selling a car in PA with bank holding the title???