Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Massachusetts guys HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 02:58 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Massachusetts guys HELP!

I'm about to install some kooks 1 3/4" LT's on the gto. I'm gonna be running the headers then throwing some qtp electronic cut outs between the headers and the magnaflow's cats. Now, understanding I need to pass a mass state inspection, is this setup going to pass provided the dyno tune is done right and all the sensors don't start acting up? What do I need to do if the sensors do start acting up?
Old 11-24-2009, 07:08 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Chevy2169
I'm about to install some kooks 1 3/4" LT's on the gto. I'm gonna be running the headers then throwing some qtp electronic cut outs between the headers and the magnaflow's cats. Now, understanding I need to pass a mass state inspection, is this setup going to pass provided the dyno tune is done right and all the sensors don't start acting up? What do I need to do if the sensors do start acting up?
First...why not put them on the mids "after" the cats? That's where my QTP's are (own a GTO). Thinking you might have a clearance issue where your going to put them, ones I know that fit the GTO in the spot your talking about are the DMH low profile ones.
I'd be more worried passing the "noise test"...in MA your "not supposed" to have an aftermarket exhaust...you will have to find a lenient shop. Probably common sense but..do not go pulling into the inspection shop with the cutouts open
Old 11-24-2009, 07:47 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mass Inspection blows. I know a guy how lives in Deerfield and states it is a major PITA. IMO I would get through 1st and then mod it, but be prepared to put back to stock every year. IF visual inspection is an issue.
Old 11-24-2009, 07:59 AM
8 second mod

the right shops will plug you in and pass you. the tight shops or hard watched shops will be hard to pass. if you have no codes most shops will pass you. what part of mass??
Old 11-24-2009, 08:44 AM
11 Second Club

I pass every year no problem.

Become friends with someone who owns/runs a gas station.....
Old 11-24-2009, 08:49 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by BoostedLT5
I pass every year no problem.

Become friends with someone who owns/runs a gas station.....
me too i have no problem but i do know the guy how does it i went to school with them and there also in to cars big time so theres not much thay look at
Old 11-24-2009, 09:14 AM
TECH Apprentice

You will need to know someone most likely. Out in central MA it is a real pain if you dont know someone. Luckily one of my buddies does inspections at a dealership....roll in and roll out with a fresh sticker. I run longtubes, no cats....it just has to pass a plug in. Check around with locals who have similar cars, there has to be someone they go to....i am sure they have the same issues.
Old 11-24-2009, 11:41 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Inspection is no problem with your setup.It will have Cats and a fairly quiet cat-back.The plug in test is a rediness test.You can easilly fail even though there are no engine lights. 2003 and older cars can have 3 not-ready's and still pass inspection.This is why alot of people pass with a basic tune.2004+ can only have 1 not ready and a ton of people fail. We can make anything pass the plug in test.

As for the cutout's. You DO NOT want to put them where you plan,it will screw up the car on how it runs due to fresh air going back onto the 02's.
Old 11-24-2009, 11:57 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Slowhawk
Inspection is no problem with your setup.It will have Cats and a fairly quiet cat-back.The plug in test is a rediness test.You can easilly fail even though there are no engine lights. 2003 and older cars can have 3 not-ready's and still pass inspection.This is why alot of people pass with a basic tune.2004+ can only have 1 not ready and a ton of people fail. We can make anything pass the plug in test.

As for the cutout's. You DO NOT want to put them where you plan,it will screw up the car on how it runs due to fresh air going back onto the 02's.
Thanks a bunch. That helps calm my nerves a bit. Any suggestions for placement of the cutouts? I'm really stuck because I'm stationed in VA but registered up in MA because my parents live there. I wanted to get the mods done for when I go home on leave around christmas to show up my uncle's 2002 T/A. Bad part is it's time to get a sticker when I get up there. Thanks a bunch again.
Old 11-24-2009, 02:27 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

I'd have to see the car but the cutouts have to be after the cats.

Where in Ma are you?
Old 11-24-2009, 02:34 PM
Teching In

I'd have to see the car but the cutouts have to be after the cats.

Where in Ma are you?
My parents are in Granby. I'll be up there from the 28th of December till the 10th of January for the holidays. I talked with a guy over at virginia speed today and he suggested putting the cutouts right before the mufflers to eliminate any sensor problems.

I think what I'm gonna do is bolt the headers on next weekend, get it tuned, and get it inspected. In March I'll be putting a G5x3 cam in the motor, so I'll do the cutouts then. Thanks for your help.

Last edited by Chevy2169; 11-24-2009 at 02:45 PM.
Old 11-24-2009, 03:28 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

I work with Virginia Speed,so if you have any issue's up here just let me know.
Old 11-25-2009, 09:25 AM
Teching In

I work with Virginia Speed,so if you have any issue's up here just let me know.
I'll do that. I bought the kooks LT's from them yesterday. I went with the 1 7/8" and the catted midpipes. I'll be putting the cutouts on when I get the cam in march. Thanks again for your help. If I have any issues when I'm up there I'll stop by your shop.
Old 12-01-2009, 11:28 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Chevy2169
Thanks a bunch. That helps calm my nerves a bit. Any suggestions for placement of the cutouts? I'm really stuck because I'm stationed in VA but registered up in MA because my parents live there. I wanted to get the mods done for when I go home on leave around christmas to show up my uncle's 2002 T/A. Bad part is it's time to get a sticker when I get up there. Thanks a bunch again.
Here's where mine are on a GTO on the mids before the mufflers, exhaust has been switched out since the pics..installed by Don himself

Old 12-01-2009, 09:06 PM
Teching In

Also anyone know of a "friendly" inspection place close to the Amherst/Northampton area?
Old 12-13-2009, 08:56 PM
TECH Regular

^ Ditto
Old 12-13-2009, 11:28 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

im not sure. i go to school in the area in westfield but i leave my car at home in haverhill. im sure alex will chime in. hes from the area.
Old 12-14-2009, 05:16 PM
TECH Regular

I'll take information on ANY friendly inspection stations in the state, I don't care where I have to go if someone has suggestions. I appreciate it
Old 12-17-2009, 12:58 PM
Staging Lane

I go to a place in boston @ Huntington Ave and South Huntington Ave, with my jeep, I just rolled in, he plugged it in, checked the lights and horns and was done. I've never had them do a visual inspection other than making sure i have 2 mirrors. if you can pass a plug in, you're fine.