Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TSP True Duals and Lowered Car? Will It Clear

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 09:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default TSP True Duals and Lowered Car? Will It Clear

my buddys car is a 2002 Z28 with Pacesetter LT TSP ORY and magnaflow catback, and he is considering going with the TSP true duals, but his car is lower with the Eibach pro kit (1inch drop) will it have any clearance issues other the the Ypipe now hanging low, how will it compare to the ypipe in regards to ground cleareance now on the car?

thanks
Old 11-30-2009, 09:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

got a buddy with this exhaust with a 2inch drop...not sure but id say he scraps alot...its prolly all in what u can take...i know to me it'd get old...is it his DD?
Old 12-01-2009, 12:09 AM
TECH Regular

I would go to a good exhaust shop and have the custom made. I had tsp TDs on my car at stock height. ground clearance was okay. but was hell when i lowered it. I actuallt sold my tsp set up and had a custom setup fabbed up. exhaust shops can custom tuck the pipes higher. i gained a full inch of clearance. still scrape on massive speed bumps though.
Old 12-02-2009, 09:41 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We haven't had any issues on the TD's with BMR or Eibach Pro kits. If you take your time on the install and get everything tucked up properly, there shouldn't be an issue. However, you have to remember it is a lowered car so hitting every pot hole or going 50 over speed bumps isn't a good idea. But there shouldn't be too much of an issue when it's setup properly.

Jon
Old 12-02-2009, 09:45 AM
LSX Mechanic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

It will clear, but you'll need to be very careful about your driving habits and more specifically where you drive. I've installed a few of these kits on lowered cars with no problems, but it's not uncommon for people to bash one of the bullets on something and put a dent in it.

Bottom line, due to the floor pan design there really isn't a such thing as "good" ground clearance on an F-body. That goes for TD's and Ypipes.
Old 12-02-2009, 12:37 PM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i had the tsp catted ypipe and switched over to the TSP td's and I actually gained ground clearance with the TD xpipe. I took my time and my buddy and I tucked it up real nice. The only area where its low is the exhaust tips where they dump at the rear axle. I've had no issues with clearance even though I'm at stock height. I could easily put a 1inch drop and be just fine.
Send me a PM and I can send you my pictures of my setup.
Old 12-02-2009, 04:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Good luck IMO if it's you daily I wouldn't do it.
Old 12-02-2009, 07:38 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the Prokit and the TSP true duals and I really dont have any issues. My car is my DD and you will have to re-learn going over speed bumps and some dips in the road. The pipe coming from the drivers side collector leading into the x-pipe hangs really low and that the lowest part. Im either going to have a shop tweak it or add some metal spun cats to the system
Old 12-02-2009, 11:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

clearance all depends on how well the fabricator tucks them up. i love my true duals but i stay away from speed bumps!
Old 12-03-2009, 02:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 94TRANS
clearance all depends on how well the fabricator tucks them up. i love my true duals but i stay away from speed bumps!
So in other words your saying don't go up hills with more than one passenger(in the front) and basically don't go any where, if it's your DD?
Old 12-03-2009, 08:30 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by sscamaroburn02
i had the tsp catted ypipe and switched over to the TSP td's and I actually gained ground clearance with the TD xpipe. I took my time and my buddy and I tucked it up real nice. The only area where its low is the exhaust tips where they dump at the rear axle. I've had no issues with clearance even though I'm at stock height. I could easily put a 1inch drop and be just fine.
Send me a PM and I can send you my pictures of my setup.
sorry this is only a weekend car at most
Old 12-03-2009, 09:40 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by thewholefnshow1
So in other words your saying don't go up hills with more than one passenger(in the front) and basically don't go any where, if it's your DD?
As long as you pay attention where you're going and know what you can and can not go over you won't have an issue. We have customers buy these kits daily on their DD cars and have ZERO issues. It is a car, not a truck. If there is a dip in the road chances are you can't take it a 60 MPH. You have to slow down and go over it at a slower speed or slight angle. Most of the vettes and exotic cars rolling around are lower than these cars and get down the road just fine. It's all about how you drive them. You could bottom out the stock exhaust and drag it over speed bumps if you wanted to...

Jon
Old 12-03-2009, 04:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jon@Texas-Speed
As long as you pay attention where you're going and know what you can and can not go over you won't have an issue. We have customers buy these kits daily on their DD cars and have ZERO issues. It is a car, not a truck. If there is a dip in the road chances are you can't take it a 60 MPH. You have to slow down and go over it at a slower speed or slight angle. Most of the vettes and exotic cars rolling around are lower than these cars and get down the road just fine. It's all about how you drive them. You could bottom out the stock exhaust and drag it over speed bumps if you wanted to...

Jon
TSP in no way am I bashing your exhaust or anything. I've actually had it on my T/A with 17" rims. I liked to sound of it and then I put 1 chambers on it and I loved it. Then emissions testing came here then I had to put cats on it. My T/A was an A4 and no matter how good or how slow I would take it then sometimes it would scrape. Maybe the exhaust shop could have tucked it up a tad better but who knows. These cars aren't the best made to have dual exhaust under them. But when I put the dumby cats on then it got worser so I got to point where I didn't like to drive it. But to me and this is my opinion but I don't buy a car and put stuff on it where i have to watch in and everything I do or try to wonder if I go this way or that way to make it to a place or even if I can get in a place. I have Kooks LT's, Catted Y and GMMG exhaust with 17 American racing TTII and I have no issues with going anyway or scraping, It's almost about the same as the stock manifold and Y-pipe of clearance. In no way am I downing or bashing TSP cause they are good people and have great products. But everyone has a right to their opinion.
Old 12-03-2009, 05:44 PM
FormerVendor

Yes sir! No worries at all man. I didn't take it as bashing or anything like that!

Jon
Old 12-03-2009, 06:06 PM
12 Second Club

Like a previous poster said, I had the Texas Speed ORY on the car and then switched to their TD set up and gained ground clearance. I do have to watch it on big speed bumps or driveways with as steep transition. Also, I am sitting on the lower perch in the front on the Koni shocks and did the heater hose mod on the rear springs so I am a bit lower than stock. Not as low as the prokits will take it though.
Old 12-04-2009, 01:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

man, i have thought about switching from my ORY + catback to a tsp tru dual with some sweet thunders!!!! but i plan on lowering my car, and i dont want to deal with aches and pains of clearance.
Old 01-14-2010, 01:47 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Jon@Texas-Speed
We haven't had any issues on the TD's with BMR or Eibach Pro kits. If you take your time on the install and get everything tucked up properly, there shouldn't be an issue. However, you have to remember it is a lowered car so hitting every pot hole or going 50 over speed bumps isn't a good idea. But there shouldn't be too much of an issue when it's setup properly.

Jon
i just installed your td system and kooks lt headers and i've got a really bad clearance issue. i don't have a garage of my own so i've been borrowing my parents and i wouldn't have taken my car out of the garage if my mom didn't start bugging me about when i'm gonna be able to finish my work on my car. i'm still building my tool collection and since i used to be in the military i didn't have much time to work on my car so i'm still new at auto mechanics. i was wondering if you could give me some advice on trying to get the best ground clearance with your td system if there is any besides just taking the time to figure it out. also, i purchased UMI's torque arm relocation kit and when i installed it, which took me forever(had no help), i fastened the bracket to the second set of holes from the top since it said these were the ones to use in the instructions. should i have fastened it to the top set of holes for your td system? btw, your exhaust is the most awsome sounding ever, haven't taken it to get dynoed yet though. well, thanks for whatever help you can provide and for engineering some of the mose bad *** exhaust ever. i'm proud to drive my car down the road with your tds on. thanks.
Old 01-14-2010, 02:12 PM
FormerVendor

Give me a call when you get a chance. I'm sure we can get you fixed up with some ideas to get it tucked up even if you are working on a garage floor. If you have some jack stands, jack, and a stock set, we can make it happen! 806.866.0734

Jon
Old 01-14-2010, 02:31 PM
TECH Addict

i installed mine on garage floor with the help of my buddy. Used jack and jack stands and each of us worked on each side. Try twisting some of the pieces that run off the headers and you can gain ground clearance that way. Just be patient it will work!!!Also the xpipe piece has a right and wroing way off installing it. I don't remember which way but you can definately tell once its installed which is correct way. Hope this helps!!
Old 01-15-2010, 10:45 AM
Teching In

yeah, i wish i had someone to help me work on my car. the best person i know for that is actually my wife, haha! my dad helped with the torque arm relocation but he's never worked on cars in his life and doesn't even know the right hand rule for wrenches. most of my friends talk like they know cars but are too lazy to actually work on one. anyways thanks a bunch to both of you and i will probably call you next weekend. the wife's gonna be out of town :lol.

Quick Reply: TSP True Duals and Lowered Car? Will It Clear