What Is The Precedure For Title Transfer

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 10:13 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question What Is The Precedure For Title Transfer

I would post this in another section but being that I believe some states have different laws about this made me think to post this here.

Story:

I used to own a 1991 Camaro RS for a while until things got tough. I sold the car to an ex supervisor of mine while we were working together. He signed the title to get it into his name but he did not completely go through the process to get it done. He had the car for several years before I bought the car back from him. Being that it still had my name on the front as the original owner I thought nothing about having to do anything with this.

A few years later being around this time, I ran into more financial drama again but this time with another one of my cars needing a transmission job done on it. After installing my transmission I gave him the title to the car thinking everything is dandy and downhill from there, all he has to do is go to the courthouse and get the title in his name.

On the back of the title, it still has the name, signature and address hand written by the first person who I sold the car too before I bought it back, if you follow me.

My question is, how big of a hang up is this for me to go down to the court house and telling them that I need a clean title (or a copy?) where there is no writting on the back so that I can give the title free and clear to the 2nd guy I gave my Camaro too?

I apologize for the long paragraphs and if there are any gammar errors but this is the only way in detail I can explain it without sounding like I left something out and to make things more clear.

Trolls will be ignored but any positive and mature responses is very welcome. Thank you in advance everybody.

Eddie.
Old 11-30-2009, 10:40 PM
TECH Addict

the process isnt difficult but you may have to pay a few fees for that fresh title. they might even charge you to reregister it .
Old 11-30-2009, 10:44 PM
Launching!

I don't have insurance on the car simply because I havn't driven it in almost 8 months, do you think that would be a problem?

I have a gut feeling that they would understand but who knows? *shrugging*

Thanks Joe.
Old 12-01-2009, 07:35 AM
11 Second Club

You don't have to have insurance on titles. Just to drive it. It's called a non operational title.

The biggest issue in your books is that you did what they called "jumping title" Or actually the first person you sold the car too did. Since he never switched it into his name, but it was signed, he will need to put it in his name, and then back in yours and then back into the person's new name. Depending on how hard the person is if you all show up together then you might be able to get it all done at once.

If you can get everyone to go down at once that's your best bet, if not then it's still able to get done, just gonna be a bit of a pain. Just make sure you say you were not driving it on the roads, it's called like a "black tag" or non operational tag. You will also have to pay all the back tags to get it up-to-date.
Old 12-01-2009, 08:22 AM
Launching!

Thank you Domsz,

Update, I was told that it would probably cut about 20 steps and procedures if I just went down withmy I.D and said that I lost the title and get a new one in 20 minutes or so. Maybe a little ill advised but it doesn't seem like that route is actually affecting or hurting anybody.
Old 12-01-2009, 09:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm trying to get it under my name also, I useto say that it was a gift and pay just gift tax, now only a family member mom,dad, bro, sis, gma,gpa, can give it , other then that u will have to pay like 10 % tax of the blue book value and screw that lol ... I'm trying to find a way around this too not pay that much . I bought the car with no motor or trans in it . So didn't pay nothing for it. Anyone know someone from a plates place to ask couple of questions , cause I payed 800 for it and tittle says 54k on the miles and I don't think they might not believe me.
Old 12-01-2009, 11:02 AM
TECH Regular

No big deal.
The title is still in your name correct?
I'd just claim it lost, and mail in this form. I've done this several times, and it only takes $2 and about a week by mail. http://www.dot.state.tx.us/txdotefor...vletConfig.xml
Old 12-01-2009, 08:06 PM
Launching!

^ also very helpful, thank you. Just $2 for a copy? How do they make money that way, I know any agency doesn't like to charge so little for anything but here goes nothing.
Old 12-01-2009, 09:22 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like said, since title is still legally in your name just file for a lost one. Then when you get it sign it and go with the new owner to the tax office and make sure he gets it ou tof your name

If you sell the car and they never transfer it, they will come back to you for any bad doings that may happen