Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about ARP Head Studs

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2009, 09:00 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Question about ARP Head Studs

I've been gathering parts for the last year in anticipation of a full heads and cam upgrade for my 2002 Camaro. I've been trying to decide between ARP head studs or ARP head bolts. I know the head studs are better in the long run and offer a little better clamping load but my question is if I use head studs are the heads still able to be pulled off and put on the engine while the engine is still in the car? I done some researching and it sounds like there is a risk of not being able to pull the head up far enough to clear the studs and remove it from the engine bay if the engine is still in the car (gotta love it when half of your engine is under the cowl and windshield). Any experienced advice is appreciated. Thanks.

Nick
Old 12-07-2009, 12:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

I wish I would have done Head Studs. YES, the heads come off easily with the engine in the car. Go with the studs, makes future head swaps easy too.
Old 12-07-2009, 06:38 AM
TECH Junkie

everyone i've talked to...says the studs are the way to go.

$$...but worth it
Old 12-07-2009, 07:01 AM
Teching In

Great! Thanks for the feedback guys. I feel better knowing the heads can be pulled off the engine while still in the car. I appreciate the help.
Old 12-07-2009, 07:26 AM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Yep, studs are better, always.

I doubt if you'll be able to have the studs on the block when installing/removing the heads. The studs have a small Allen recess on the top ends that make spinning them in easy. Worth the little bit of extra effort.
Old 12-07-2009, 07:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Paul Bell

I doubt if you'll be able to have the studs on the block when installing/removing the heads. The studs have a small Allen recess on the top ends that make spinning them in easy. Worth the little bit of extra effort.
Hes right, you'll still have to remove the studs to take off the heads, but they can come off in the car.

And +1 for studs!
Old 12-07-2009, 09:22 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Paul Bell

Would you only need to remove the studs on the rear half of the block or would all of them need to be removed to install/remove the heads from the block while in the car?

Thanks.
Old 12-07-2009, 09:46 AM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

I don't see why any mild heads/cam build would need studs. If it's the standard n/a h/c setup or even has a small shot of nitrous there would be nothing to gain from spending the money on an upgrade to studs.

800-456-0211 / PM / Facebook
WHIPPLE Superchargers, Procharger, Magnuson, Powerbond Sale, HPTuners packages!, Trickflow, AFR, PRC, CHE Trunion upgrade, $100 7.400" pushrod set, Custom Cam of your choice

Old 12-07-2009, 02:11 PM
On The Tree

^ +1

I think everyone can agree that studs are "better" but are they really worth it? I think the extra money could be spent elsewhere where it'll make more of a difference if you're not heavily modded.
Old 12-08-2009, 07:29 AM
Teching In

Thanks for the input everyone. I will probably go with studs for the simple fact that I'm not as concerned about the budget as much as I am the peace of mind knowing that it is built right the first time. I'm sure the head bolts would be adequate enough, but if I ever decide to go more extreme later, I won't have to buy another faster kit for the heads and spend the same money twice plus the difference.

Thanks again everyone.
Old 12-09-2009, 07:18 AM
Launching!

So whats the concensus here? I'm seeing mixed reviews. I'm considering head studs as well and also wondering if the head can be installed with the studs already threaded in the block. I'm thinking "no", but not completely sure?
Old 12-09-2009, 08:01 AM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

No, you can not put the heads on or take them off with the studs in the block, there isn't room under the cowl to get the head over the studs. Obviously studs are better, they just aren't warranted in many applications and on a budget that's enough money saved to pay for pushrods or to upgrade to titanium retainers with your spring kit if it doesn't use them etc. I just always try to sell based on total setup and bang for the buck. If budget is not a concern, studs are not a bad idea, especially if you think you will take the setup farther later on down the road

800-456-0211 / PM / Facebook
WHIPPLE Superchargers, Procharger, Magnuson, Powerbond Sale, HPTuners packages!, Trickflow, AFR, PRC, CHE Trunion upgrade, $100 7.400" pushrod set, Custom Cam of your choice

Old 12-09-2009, 04:07 PM
Teching In

I'm still wondering if anyone with experience using studs can provide a little insight on the heads being installed/removed if the studs on the rear half of the block are removed.
Thanks.
Old 12-09-2009, 05:51 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Studs are always better because they use fine threads on the upper side. BETTER TORQUE ACCURACY. With that being said there is nothing wrong with bolts. I know the heads cant be installed or removed with the engine in the chassis with studs. I have built many a high hp motor without studs and with mild juice and they stay together. Studs are the best setup but in some cases its OVER KILL. Flip the coin.