Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

best springs

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2009, 09:24 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default best springs

Well I just bought my car back in June and I am starting to mod it. I am obviously going to start with suspension. I want to keep the car quite streetable with the occasional trip to the track. I already have lcas and lca brackets. I am choosing to buy bilstein shock absorbers and a bmi adjustable panhard rod. Now I need to choose the best springs. I want to lower the car at least 1 in. so I need your opinion on the best springs. I have been looking at bmi, hotchkis, and eibach pro-sport springs. Which do you all believe are the best?
Old 12-10-2009, 09:33 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What do you want from the springs? Handling? Drag racing? Comfortable ride?

If you want to lower it ~1 inch, and want a comfortable ride...buy a set of Koni shocks and keep the stock springs. The front Koni shocks have 2 perches to mount a spring on, the upper one is stock height, the second one is lower and will result in lowering the front of the car. Then to lower the rear, simply remove the rear springs, take out the upper isolators, and cover the top of the spring in a rubber "heater hose" to keep it quiet and isolated from the cars body...that will lower the rear just about an inch.

If you want to lower it about 1-1.25" and want the best handling setup, go with Strano springs...I'd still recommend Koni shocks.

If you want it to drag better...you'll want to find something with a softer front spring rate, and you can get a set of lakewood drag shocks for the rear end (3rd gen camaro and fox mustang rear shocks fit the rear of your 4th gen)...there's a lot of options.
Old 12-10-2009, 09:58 PM
On The Tree

Well I don't want a softer spring as I want to keep it streetable. So you would suggest Stranos? I'll take a look at them? Any others that you would recommend?

I want a mostly comfortable ride...a good stiff spring above 550 on the front and 130 on the back.

Last edited by 00fastta; 12-10-2009 at 10:04 PM.
Old 12-10-2009, 10:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

try a search, its been beatin to death.
Old 12-10-2009, 10:16 PM
On The Tree

Done and done...
Old 12-11-2009, 08:34 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Hello, i would like give you another option for your springs. Our springs lower your car 1.25" with a front spring rate of 550lbs and a rear rate of 160lbs. Our springs have a lifetime guarantee against spring sag and are made right here in the USA from only the finest materials available. We have plenty in stock and can ship them out same day if ordered by 3pm est. If you have any questions please give me a call.

http://www.bmrfabrication.com/F4.htm
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 12-11-2009, 08:49 AM
pjb
TECH Resident

Stranos were due in port 2 days ago and should make it to Sam very shortly. Now is a great time to place an order for minimal wait time. Once he has them on-hand they seem to sell out very fast.
Old 12-11-2009, 11:09 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

Oh yeah they do... I've gotten a number of orders in the last few days as folks have been waiting.

I urge you to get an order placed ASAP (no charge until they are ready to ship) to make sure I can get you a set on this run. Avoid the rush that leaves me without any.... It always happens, which I guess--in a weird way is good. I know folks really want what I have, and much of that comes from word of mouth.

My springs are 550 front/150 rear. They have been around for more than a little while now, and you see there are no shortage of folks who not only have them, but like them so much they take the time to tell you that they like them, but also why (in most cases). And many have had other springs before so they aren't jumping in blindly.

Anyone can make something and claim it's great. Nothing to stop folks from "borrowing" ideas either. The bottom line is only few companies can back up their product with proven results.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 12-11-2009, 11:31 AM
On The Tree

Hmm...lots of choices...

Well this may be a stupid question, but who is Sam? Nevermind just found out.
Well its between the hotchkis, bmr, or strano. If you all had a choice just between these three which one would you go for?

Last edited by 00fastta; 12-11-2009 at 12:00 PM.
Old 12-11-2009, 12:40 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I sell Hotchkis, felt I could do better... but a decent option. The other company you mentioned changed their springs just recently from what they used to claim was the "best". Either they were and the new ones aren't, or the new ones are better and previous claims were fluff. And while they are similar to mine (imitation is the sincerest form of flattery), they are not the same as mine.

Materials differ. Mine have been around and proven, and I have never suddenly done an about face and made a big change to my springs after claiming the previous version was the best thing around...they have. Even if the springs were 100% identical.... I'd hope you would buy from the one that had them first, did the leg work, and didn't change with the wind. It's easy to sell cheaper when you build cheaper and have no R&D costs to cover.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 12-11-2009, 12:41 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I sell Hotchkis too, felt I could do better... but a decent option. The other company you mentioned changed their springs just recently from what they used to claim was the "best". Either they were and the new ones aren't, or the new ones are better and previous claims were fluff. And while they are similar to mine (imitation is the sincerest form of flattery), they are not the same as mine.

Materials differ. Mine have been around and proven, and I have never suddenly done an about face and made a big change to my springs after claiming the previous version was the best thing around...they have. Even if the springs were 100% identical.... I'd hope you would buy from the one that had them first, did the leg work, and didn't change with the wind. It's easy to sell cheaper when you build cheaper and have no R&D costs to cover.

Old 12-11-2009, 03:02 PM
On The Tree

Hmm...I've pretty much made my decision. Thanks for everyones help
Old 12-11-2009, 04:15 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

We love you sam
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!