Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Maggie model comparisons.

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2009, 01:25 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Maggie model comparisons.

Hey everyone! This is my first post here. I usually post over in the Covette Forum, but I think there are more people running Maggies over here.
Anyways,
I'm trying to determine some of the characteristics associated with different Magnacharger models. 112 vs 122 vs 1900 vs 2300 and what kind of difference the "radix" and "hh" make.

Right now I'm really leaning towards the 122. Is the hh or radix a significantly better blower?
I'm also curious about noise levels, if anyone can give thier opinion as to which of these blowers are louder than the others. I've heard 112's before, but haven't heard the others. Is a 122 louder or quieter than a 112?

Also, if anyone has a Dyno with Boost vs RPM graphed, that would be awesome!

Hopefully that will get this thread started, I have more questions, but will wait to see how many helpful people there are.

Last edited by sydneyACE; 12-12-2009 at 01:31 AM.
Old 12-12-2009, 03:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

My 122HH is loud at full throttle, but I love the sound. The new TVS models are quieter. If you can get a 122HH super cheap, buy it. If not, buy the TVS 2300 with a rear cog belt from Magnacharger and you'll have room to grow; they run cooler and quieter. For the street, there's nothing like a Maggie. (112 and 122 sound the same. I've never heard a radix, but it must be similar sounding.)
Old 12-12-2009, 03:42 AM
Staging Lane

Dont know about the vette kits but i have the tvs 1900 it pretty good but the low temp rad sucks had to up grade it. I would go with the techco unit Check it out its a little more money but i havent heard of any problems with them. They come with an intercooler for each bank and a good low temp rad.
Old 12-12-2009, 09:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 186 Likes on 111 Posts

I'd use the earlier maggies (112 and 122) only if you find them at a bargain. The TVS units are a big upgrade. If you're looking for around 500 at the wheels, the 122 would work fine. If you want more, go straight to the TVS2300. I wouldn't use the TVS1900 unless the engine was under 5.7L.

I have an MP122 on a truck (had a 112 on same truck previous) and a TVS2300 on an LS3 powered vette. You can hear very little out of either blower until you step on it. The TVS has a little bit of whine between 1500 and 2500 rpm. I think the TVS makes a little noise because I have a fairly small pulley on it (spins it faster).

Any of them will do you a good job if sized right. You can only spin them faster to get more to a certain point. Above that, you run the blower out of it's effeciency range and get little more than extra heat.

You'll like the way the power comes in from any of them. It's like having a whole lot bigger motor under the hood. Boost comes in quick. There's no waiting for things to spin up.
Old 12-12-2009, 04:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by unique 04
Dont know about the vette kits but i have the tvs 1900 it pretty good but the low temp rad sucks had to up grade it. I would go with the techco unit Check it out its a little more money but i havent heard of any problems with them. They come with an intercooler for each bank and a good low temp rad.
Techco has been "relocating" since august. As far as I know, they have yet to "find" themselves.
Old 12-12-2009, 06:57 PM
Teching In

The Techo isn't an option for me, it's just too expencive. From my understanding, the TVS isn't available for the LS1/6 (if I'm correct). Which means if I went with the TVS2300 I would need cylinder heads. A forged motor is in the future anyway, but I'll need to run it stock for a while because I can't afford forged yet.

I want to run stock cubes (even after I go forged) to retain my gas milage. I know that sounds silly but, I this is my daily driver. I love the way I can average 20mpg driving to work and back. Normally with a "smaller" cube motor it would make sense to run a 112 or 1900. I'm thinking by "miss-matching" a larger (positive displacement) blower with a "small" cube motor, I can keep the blower in it's efficiency range at higher RPM. This way I'll have a little less at low RPM but more at high RPM. I'm trying to get a power curve halfway in-between a regular PD and Centifugal. Cam selection can probably help a lot to achieve the power curve I'm looking for too.

Ater I go forged, I would like to see 600-650hp to the wheels. Do you guys think this is resonable for a 122 with 347ci?
Old 12-13-2009, 08:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by sydneyACE
The Techo isn't an option for me, it's just too expencive. From my understanding, the TVS isn't available for the LS1/6 (if I'm correct). Which means if I went with the TVS2300 I would need cylinder heads. A forged motor is in the future anyway, but I'll need to run it stock for a while because I can't afford forged yet.

I want to run stock cubes (even after I go forged) to retain my gas milage. I know that sounds silly but, I this is my daily driver. I love the way I can average 20mpg driving to work and back. Normally with a "smaller" cube motor it would make sense to run a 112 or 1900. I'm thinking by "miss-matching" a larger (positive displacement) blower with a "small" cube motor, I can keep the blower in it's efficiency range at higher RPM. This way I'll have a little less at low RPM but more at high RPM. I'm trying to get a power curve halfway in-between a regular PD and Centifugal. Cam selection can probably help a lot to achieve the power curve I'm looking for too.

Ater I go forged, I would like to see 600-650hp to the wheels. Do you guys think this is resonable for a 122 with 347ci?
LS6/LS2 cylinder heads are the same (243's). I have 243 heads on the LQ4 in my signature. I don't think there's much on an LS1 that won't swap with an LQ4. Both gen III LS architecture. The heads won't be a problem for a TVS. Don't have a clue about the drive though. You need to get in touch with Brian at Magnacharger. He can set you straight on what will work and what won't.

550 to 600 should be easily doable with an MP122 on a 347 with mild blower cam and bolt ons. A better set of heads would make it even easier (with less boost and less heat). I'm at 500 with the 122 on my 6.0L truck engine. That's through a 4L80E tranny with heavy truck drivetrain. My motor in a manual trannied vette or camaro should see closer to 550 rwhp. The mp122 I'm using is a front drive. It's more limited in how fast you can spin it. I'm making 7.5 to 8psi with a 2.8" drive pulley. I don't know what pulley system is on the rear of the rear drives, but I think you can spin them slighly faster than the front drives.

If you buy the 122 "right" you should be able to get your money out of it should you decide to upgrade to a TVS. Maybe, by then, TVS units will be a little more common in the used mkt. Agree with your plan to stay at stock cubes. I'm planning an even smaller LS2 based motor for similar reasons. The 122 on top will make it "bigger".
Old 12-13-2009, 06:42 PM
Teching In

I was thinking of the LS3/7 (they use the rectangular intake ports). I thought the LS2 had the same ports, but after a little research I found that they are the same heads as the LS6 (as you stated). It's very hard to find anyone that sells a TVS kit for the C5. I think LG does, but need to call to verify. I can't see why the same kit for the LS2 C6's wouldn't fit on a C5. The TVS sounds like it's a better option, I guess I'll just have to evaluate my budget. If I kept an eye out I could probably find a used 122 for $3k ish, or maybe a refurbished one from Magnacharger for a good price. I think it might be pretty hard to find a used 2300 since they're pretty new still. I'd probably be looking at $6.5k-$7.5!
Oh well, my SC budget is pretty much $0 right now, so I have some time to keep doing research.

I deff. want something that works with my stock motor because it will be a while before I can invest in that. When I do get a forged BE I want to do it right. Looking to build something with small cubes that will pull strong at high RPMs to offset the huge tourque of the PD blower. Looking to get a power curve that is a little more "peakie" than a "normal" PD power curve.

Old motorhead: Thanks a ton for all you're help!

Please keep the opinions coming, let me know what you all think.
Old 12-16-2009, 05:14 PM
Teching In

Bump
Old 12-16-2009, 05:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Quick Reply: Maggie model comparisons.