who can balance weld draglites for christ sake

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 05:34 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default who can balance weld draglites for christ sake

Okay I've been to both discount tire and ntb and both places failed at balancing my weld draglites. The wheels are in great shape and not bent at all but those dipshits can't get them right. Skinnies on the front and 16 x 8 on the back. They show to be at 0 every time but at 60-70 mph, the car feels like it's falling apart. The wheel shakes very bad when braking as well. I'm so pissed off right now I can't see straight. I've been at ntb since 9:00 this morning and it's 5:30 now. NTB had the adapters to balnce them lug centric but they didn't have the ones to fit my wheels. Where around DFW are you guys getting your draglites balanced correctly. I'll drive anywhere to get it done right. Just two days ago I was flying down the highyway at speeds WAY over that and had no vibration at all. Now it feels like I'm a fighter pilot going down.
Old 12-16-2009, 05:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so it shakes when you brake ?
Old 12-16-2009, 05:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds like warped or thin rotors to me
Old 12-16-2009, 05:43 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by jaysan
so it shakes when you brake ?
yes and when I get over 60-70 mph. The steering wheel and the dash shake like a ****.
Old 12-16-2009, 05:44 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by jaysan
sounds like warped or thin rotors to me
It was just fine two days ago with my z06 wheels. I had it up to 130 the other day and it was perfect. I'm pissed.
Old 12-16-2009, 05:46 PM
TECH Resident

Sometimes if I don't center my back wheels on the spacer just right it will shake. Just an idea....
Old 12-16-2009, 05:48 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by slowredz
Sometimes if I don't center my back wheels on the spacer just right it will shake. Just an idea....
I do have spacers on the front. How do you keep it still and put the wheel on lol?
Old 12-16-2009, 05:53 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Might not be the spacers, i have brand new Greg Weld 93 series and i had the tires installed and the bitch shakes at 60+, **** sucks, i took them off as they are not for the car i had them on, just wanted to see how the feel.

I think they might need to be balanced a different way? They have the stick ons....
Old 12-16-2009, 05:56 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i had mine balanced at drivers edge. wasnt anything special about them, infact i did one and the guy let me do one. we just used the stick on wheel weights
Old 12-16-2009, 05:58 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by ZONES89RS
Might not be the spacers, i have brand new Greg Weld 93 series and i had the tires installed and the bitch shakes at 60+, **** sucks, i took them off as they are not for the car i had them on, just wanted to see how the feel.

I think they might need to be balanced a different way? They have the stick ons....
NTB tried the tape ons, the outide weights, and both together. I was told in the tire/wheel section that the only way to get them right is to have them lug centric balanced. That may be the only way.
Old 12-16-2009, 06:12 PM
TECH Regular

Could bad tie rod ends be the culprit? My wheels do move a little while on the lift but I never had vibration before. Do skinnies make it worse if they are worn?
Old 12-16-2009, 06:33 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I would start by putting the Z06 wheels on and test drive it. If it does not shake then you have a problem with the new wheels. Wheel spacers are CRAP. I would start by getting rid of the spacers. You need to make sure the wheel is tight against the rotor. When a tire is balanced and it shows 0 at two different places it's not a balance problem.
Old 12-16-2009, 06:38 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by SLV_WS6
I would start by putting the Z06 wheels on and test drive it. If it does not shake then you have a problem with the new wheels. Wheel spacers are CRAP. I would start by getting rid of the spacers. You need to make sure the wheel is tight against the rotor. When a tire is balanced and it shows 0 at two different places it's not a balance problem.
I can't. The skinnies will hit the caliper if I don't run the spacer. Tons of guys have spacers on the front with no issues. Maybe I should weld them on. lol
Old 12-16-2009, 06:43 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by edzsilverss
I can't. The skinnies will hit the caliper if I don't run the spacer. Tons of guys have spacers on the front with no issues. Maybe I should weld them on. lol
You cant grind on your caliper where it hits? Just because alot of people have spacers doesnt mean that its a good thing. I was a assistant manager for 7 years at Discount and have seen spacers be the cause of more problems than there worth, wheels coming off, vibration, breaking things. Did you remove the metal clips that are around the stud that press against the rotor? If you did not remove these clips the spacer will not sit flat against the rotor which will not let the wheel sit flat against spacer and rotor.

Last edited by SLV_WS6; 12-16-2009 at 06:52 PM.
Old 12-16-2009, 06:53 PM
TECH Regular

You cant grind on your caliper where it hits?
I know but that sux ***.
Old 12-16-2009, 06:58 PM
TECH Regular

You cant grind on your caliper where it hits? Just because alot of people have spacers doesnt mean that its a good thing. I was a assistant manager for 7 years at Discount and have seen spacers be the cause of more problems than there worth, wheels coming off, vibration, breaking things. Did you remove the metal clips that are around the stud that press against the rotor? If you did not remove these clips the spacer will not sit flat against the rotor which will not let the wheel sit flat against spacer and rotor.
There were no clips on the studs. I used to have longer ones and now have the stock ones back on there. I left them off the first time. I'm starting to think they need to be balanced lug centric style only or it's bad tie rod ends. If it were the ends, it seems they would have been a bigger issue with those heave *** 17x9's.
Old 12-16-2009, 07:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

what tires are on the draglites??? what's the history of the tires? any plugs?? any green slime goop **** in them??? are there slicks on the back????

fix a flat will make a tire wobble and shake....if the wheels have slicks out back or if they were sitting flat for an extended amount of time, that could cause it too....
Old 12-16-2009, 07:20 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by TINKRD
what tires are on the draglites??? what's the history of the tires? any plugs?? any green slime goop **** in them??? are there slicks on the back????

fix a flat will make a tire wobble and shake....if the wheels have slicks out back or if they were sitting flat for an extended amount of time, that could cause it too....
both brand new. a few hundred miles on the skinny tires and 20 on the backs. I just bought those yesterday.
Old 12-16-2009, 07:23 PM
Teching In

my skinnies also shake around 60-70mph. i also have spacers which i think is the problem. i've worked at multiple tire stores, spacers are crap! first chance i get this winter i'm grinding my calipers down, it doesn't take much
Old 12-16-2009, 07:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by edzsilverss
both brand new. a few hundred miles on the skinny tires and 20 on the backs. I just bought those yesterday.
go to a mexican used tire place. it's never failed me :true:

Quick Reply: who can balance weld draglites for christ sake