Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headers question

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 08:54 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headers question

I have been looking for longtube headers for my LS1 Camaro SS (which I just recently got) and I just wanted to know everyones preferences were. So far I like the SLP kit they have. (CC LT Headers, Y-pipe, and HF Cats)

Anyone have an input on what I should look at?
Old 12-17-2009, 09:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

LPP just recently came out with a td setup. I believe its actually on sale right now too. It's pretty nice. I think speed engineering(sponsor...you can find them to the right of the page) usually has pretty good deals as well.
Old 12-17-2009, 09:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i would stay away from SLP due to fitment issues. I have Hooker headers, can't beat the price for quality/fitment
Old 12-17-2009, 09:38 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by mike135531bubba
i would stay away from SLP due to fitment issues. I have Hooker headers, can't beat the price for quality/fitment
I looked at Hooker and some people were telling me bad things about Hooker headers. I personally don't see what is wrong with them and they sound great. Do they sell a ceramic coated version of them and should I switch to an X-pipe if I get them?
Old 12-17-2009, 09:41 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Pacesetters ftmfw. Cheap, easy fit, last long.
Old 12-17-2009, 09:48 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the SLP kit, LTs and Ypipe. Fitment was great and install was fairly easy. The problem I had with them was ground clearance. If you are stock height they shouldn't give you any problems but if you are lowered. Good Luck! My passenger side has a nice flat spot, got that about 3 days after having them on. Was lowered though. Going with the LPP and their TDs. Got it for $675 shipped.
Old 12-17-2009, 09:54 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by LeftySS
I had the SLP kit, LTs and Ypipe. Fitment was great and install was fairly easy. The problem I had with them was ground clearance. If you are stock height they shouldn't give you any problems but if you are lowered. Good Luck! My passenger side has a nice flat spot, got that about 3 days after having them on. Was lowered though. Going with the LPP and their TDs. Got it for $675 shipped.
I'll be sure to check them out. Once I decide to buy headers, should I go ahead and buy the pipe and high flow cats with it?

I was really considering an x-pipe system because I want less of a restriction.
Old 12-17-2009, 10:02 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This will be my first set of TDs so as far as restrictions I can't compare yet. However Thought the SLP flowed really well and from what I have read TDs and a good Y setup are about the same in performance. If you are interested in the Ypipe and cats I have just taken them off my car, tonight actually. Getting it ready for my other system when it gets here. I am willing to sell for a reasonable price. The cats and Ypipe are in great shape for having been on the car for 3 years. I can post some pics of where they have scraped just a little so you can see how good a shape they are in. The headers are for sale as well. Just PM me if you are interested.
Old 12-19-2009, 08:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by xZZx
I looked at Hooker and some people were telling me bad things about Hooker headers. I personally don't see what is wrong with them and they sound great. Do they sell a ceramic coated version of them and should I switch to an X-pipe if I get them?

What did you hear bad about them? I had a Hooker catback on my old SS and it fit and sounded great that's why I bought Hooker LT's for the new car. Yes they do sell a ceramic coated version and they also make a Hooker y-pipe or you can run a custom y-pipe, whatever you decide
Old 12-19-2009, 11:43 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by mike135531bubba
What did you hear bad about them? I had a Hooker catback on my old SS and it fit and sounded great that's why I bought Hooker LT's for the new car. Yes they do sell a ceramic coated version and they also make a Hooker y-pipe or you can run a custom y-pipe, whatever you decide
Well to start off, I don't think the guy knew what he was talking about. He said they sounded like crap and that they were "cheap". I honestly think otherwise about both statements.

Do you know if they make an already catted Y-pipe?
Old 12-19-2009, 02:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

they're not cheap. ebay headers are cheap, stay away from those. hooker has been in business for a while and i wouldn't say either the headers or my old catback sounded like crap. their mufflers with the catback are pretty quiet compared to loudmouth or flowmaster but that's what i was going at the time
Old 12-19-2009, 03:16 PM
TECH Resident

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I have kooks lt' 1 7/8's and love them. They are stainless steel and the fitment was great. Also I am running on a prokit and ground clearance is nice! Soooo kooks ftmfw!
Old 12-19-2009, 09:26 PM
Launching!

With headers, generally, you get what you pay for. That's why I went with ARH for my vette.
Old 12-22-2009, 02:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i have hooker headers 1 3/4 ceramic and love them! they slid in easier that ****! i didnt disconnect a damn thing no steering knuckles no oil filter, but i had my car on the a lift... they look great sound amazing and look great! i love my hookers!
Old 12-22-2009, 04:04 PM
On The Tree

Thanks everyone, I'll be sure to look into those brands. Especially the LPP headers and Y-pipe, I'm interested.