Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4-3 kickdown probs -- Need HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2003, 03:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 4-3 kickdown probs -- Need HELP!!!

This past weekend I installed a Transgo kit and new servos.

Since I got the kit installed, I have a problem with the 4-3 kickdown. It's like it wants to make the shift, but the band is still hanging on. It feels like something is dragging and doesn't want to let go.

The guys at Transgo told me to check the servo assembly that maybe one of the teflon rings may be jammed. I removed them and cleaned them, reinstalled them and it is still doing it.

I can't get them on the phone now .. so I'm coming to ya'll for help.

Anyone got some ideas?
Old 01-05-2004, 11:34 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Flyer
This past weekend I installed a Transgo kit and new servos.

Since I got the kit installed, I have a problem with the 4-3 kickdown. It's like it wants to make the shift, but the band is still hanging on. It feels like something is dragging and doesn't want to let go.

The guys at Transgo told me to check the servo assembly that maybe one of the teflon rings may be jammed. I removed them and cleaned them, reinstalled them and it is still doing it.

I can't get them on the phone now .. so I'm coming to ya'll for help.

Anyone got some ideas?
I'm running into the same problem, but didn't do anything yet. Just wanted to see what I should be looking for before I drop the pan again. Another problem I'm running into (or I don't know if this is a normal operation) is that 1-2 is firm/hard and the rest (2-3, 3-4) are quick, but not firm/hard. I thought the rest of the shifts would be harder. Sometimes, the shifts don't feel right. At part throttle, the shifts are okay. But at full throttle, the shifts feels as if they are "binding". It feels as though my truck goes slower with the Transgo in it. Please help me! I really don't want to do a major overhaul yet!
Old 01-06-2004, 01:57 PM
TECH Junkie

Flyers problem was that he used the two metal spacers in the servo assembly along with a vette servo. This was putting too much pressure on the band an not allowing it to completely release. As for you hard 1-2, how many washers did you use in your 1-2 accumulator? I installed one washer with a vette servo and it shifts quite a bit harder on the 1-2 than all the others.
Old 01-07-2004, 12:52 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by BigKID
Flyers problem was that he used the two metal spacers in the servo assembly along with a vette servo. This was putting too much pressure on the band an not allowing it to completely release. As for you hard 1-2, how many washers did you use in your 1-2 accumulator? I installed one washer with a vette servo and it shifts quite a bit harder on the 1-2 than all the others.
I installed (2) washers in the servo assembly (pass. side of trans-outside). I performed the check as per Transgo installation procedures and was ok. I called the Transgo help line today. The guy said that my sprag may be slipping. But isn't it odd that this problem occured after I installed the shift kit? He said to check line pressure at idle in drive (supposed to be 80 psi) and at stall in drive (supposed to be approx. 200 psi). But as anybody knows, the tires will spin before reaching stall. I NEED HELP!!!! Just a run down again on my problem: TRANS FLUID BURNT!!! upshifts normally (I guess). Manual upshifts ok. Manual downshifts ok. However, forced downshifts (more than 1/2 throttle) SLIPS!!! if it ever downshifts. Sometimes I have to floor it to downshift. I'm also looking around for a cheap/used 4L60E in my area (Hawaii) so I can overhaul it without downing my truck. If anybody can help, LET ME KNOW!!!
Old 01-07-2004, 01:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Pull those spacers out of the servo assembly. Mine checked out as for clearance too, that's why I left them in there. 2 days later and about the 4th call the guys were almost laughing when they told me to pull them out. They said they include them in the kit for older trannys that may have a stretched band. A couple of tranny guys have said they are surprised I didn't burn up my band after running like that. I think me keeping it out of 4 for the most part was what did the trick.

Something I noticed witht hose spacers in the servo assembly is that the cover was a real bitch to get off. There was absolutely NO movement in the cover after the tranny had run.

Keep it out of 4th until you get those spacers out.

Sorry .. I thouight this thread died and I never came back to it cause no one else looked at it I though. BigKID is right though ... that was exactly my probl4em
Old 01-07-2004, 01:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

For the hard 1-2 shift .. pull another washer out of the 1-2 accumulator. That will require dropping the pan.
Old 01-07-2004, 02:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lopaka77
I'm running into the same problem, but didn't do anything yet. Just wanted to see what I should be looking for before I drop the pan again. Another problem I'm running into (or I don't know if this is a normal operation) is that 1-2 is firm/hard and the rest (2-3, 3-4) are quick, but not firm/hard. I thought the rest of the shifts would be harder. Sometimes, the shifts don't feel right. At part throttle, the shifts are okay. But at full throttle, the shifts feels as if they are "binding". It feels as though my truck goes slower with the Transgo in it. Please help me! I really don't want to do a major overhaul yet!
If you use .150 for drilling the feed holes for the 2-3 and 3-4 shifts, that will help.
Transgo's recommended #'s are softer to protect the trans.
Old 01-08-2004, 01:34 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by gojo
If you use .150 for drilling the feed holes for the 2-3 and 3-4 shifts, that will help.
Transgo's recommended #'s are softer to protect the trans.
Which holes are those? Stupid me, I can't seem to find the installation instructions. I don't mind the hard 1-2 shifts (just as long as there is no internal damage). I'm just worried about the slippage in the forced 4-3 downshift. So which washer(s) exactly do I take out? In the accumulator (IN the trans pan) or the servo (OUTSIDE of the trans, pass. side) or both? If I drop the valve body and re-drill holes, will I be able to reuse the seperator gaskets? If I get another set of seperator gaskets will the the holes line up ok? Are the seals on the servo reusable? Sorry for the questions. Just don't want to down my truck. Hopefully with the above fixes and a trans flush, my trans will be ok. I've been running my truck like this for approx. 2 1/2 weeks. Do you think any permanent damage occured? If anybody has a copy of the instructions please e-mail me a copy at:jess_da_mechanic@hotmail.com By the way Flyer, did removing the washers solve your 4-3 downshift problems? What does the band control?