New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stock Suspension/Chasis vs Power

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2009, 07:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock Suspension/Chasis vs Power

How much power could I safely run on a completely stock chassis and suspension? I have a 2000 Trans Am WS-6 and I'm not looking to make it any sort of drag king, but I would like a little more power than average. Basically, I want to make a nice street car with some power, but nothing too crazy.If anyone could suggest a list of mods and in what order would be best to do them, that would be great This car is my DD in GOOD weather, but I keep it garaged as much as possible in the rain and I always keep it out of any other bad weather conditions. I'm not against suspension mods if they are necessary in order to support any engine/power mods that are done.
Old 12-20-2009, 08:01 PM
11 Second Club

Suspension mods are always a good idea but at the very minimum you'll need SFC's.
Old 12-20-2009, 08:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can get quite a few suspension mods for cheap..

I would suggest LCA SFC panhard and TA.. Should be under 500$.. Shocks would be helpful also..
Old 12-20-2009, 11:40 PM

So far from everything I've read, it definitely seems like SFCs and LCAs are worth the money. I've looked a bit into shocks and springs and I just wonder how much better they are than the stock equipment. As far as engine mods, where is a good place to start?
Old 12-21-2009, 12:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Carcrazy92
So far from everything I've read, it definitely seems like SFCs and LCAs are worth the money. I've looked a bit into shocks and springs and I just wonder how much better they are than the stock equipment. As far as engine mods, where is a good place to start?
Shocks are a nice upgrade..

The basic bolt ons..

lid
catback/cutout
LT's/ORY
intake (ls6/FAST 90/90)
tune
underdrive pulley
gears (373s A4 or 410s M6)

IF you have an auto.. BEFORE ANYTHING I HIGHLY suggest a converter.. It is a bit more pricey than the other mods but you will NOT add another single mod to your car (besides FI or a power adder) that will net you a better ET improvement.. Something in the 3600-4000 range is best.
Old 12-21-2009, 12:42 AM

Thanks lemons. I have a M6 so I don't need to worry about that last bit. Should I go for suspension mods or engine mods first? My car has 168k miles on it.
Old 12-21-2009, 12:44 AM
TECH Regular

The first mods I have done to all my past camaro's were SFCs and LCAs. Stock suspension sucks and i would mod it first before going into the motor. Since you have a stick I would suggest a chassis mounted torque arm or at least relocating the torque arm off the trans. Wheel hop isn't fun for you or your car.
Old 12-21-2009, 12:57 AM
TECH Senior Member

Thanks lemons. I have a M6 so I don't need to worry about that last bit. Should I go for suspension mods or engine mods first? My car has 168k miles on it.
Depends on your preference.. Everyone always does what they want anyways!

I would balance them..

Buy a TQ arm LCA and SFC and you should be good for a while.. There is an adjustable panhard for sale right now for like 75$ shipping, good deal.

Then go get lid.... LT's/ORY/cutout..... Intake... gears... tune... 408... D1sc....
Old 12-21-2009, 01:14 AM

Lol thanks Lemons. I'm not quite ready to buy anything right now. Still got a small amount to pay my dad back for the car :O I just read the thread about seafoaming your car and cleaning the MAF, so I think trying to figure that stuff out should keep me occupied for a little while lol. I've got a clear lid on my car that was there when I bought it, but I'm not quite sure what it is.... any ideas or should I go ahead and buy a different lid. I don't know why but SLP has been the company I've heard most about, so I'm leaning a bit towards an SLP lid. Are there any big advantages to buying one lid over another?
Old 12-21-2009, 01:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

Lol thanks Lemons. I'm not quite ready to buy anything right now. Still got a small amount to pay my dad back for the car :O I just read the thread about seafoaming your car and cleaning the MAF, so I think trying to figure that stuff out should keep me occupied for a little while lol. I've got a clear lid on my car that was there when I bought it, but I'm not quite sure what it is.... any ideas or should I go ahead and buy a different lid. I don't know why but SLP has been the company I've heard most about, so I'm leaning a bit towards an SLP lid. Are there any big advantages to buying one lid over another?
Keep your lid... A lid is a lid honestly.. You have an MTI clear lid. Get a nice looking K&N filter make sure it is clean and put it in there, it should make it look nice.. I have one if you need one, it needs to be cleaned but it is fine.. PM me if you want it.
I do like the look of the SLP lids though.

SLP headers (mainly the older ones) are complete ****.. You will scrape with a car that is stock height..
A lid or catback is about the only thing I would buy from them..
Old 12-21-2009, 01:23 AM

How about different brands of SFCs, LCAs, and TAs? UMI seems to be cheaper, but I've just never really heard of them lol. Granted, I'm just now getting into most of this stuff, but I've heard of companies like SLP and Eibach and Edelbrock.
Old 12-21-2009, 01:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

How about different brands of SFCs, LCAs, and TAs? UMI seems to be cheaper, but I've just never really heard of them lol. Granted, I'm just now getting into most of this stuff, but I've heard of companies like SLP and Eibach and Edelbrock.
A lot of the companies you hear of are mainly marketing.. Doesn't ALWAYS mean they are good, some people repeat those companies just because it is all they know. Eibach springs are **** for 60' times but look nice, rears seem to sag on some though.. I have never bought an edelbrock part, not saying they arent good though.

If you are on a budget, buy used parts that you find for a good deal that are in perfect working shape and only buy what is necessary..

Like the adj. lakewood panhard bar in the sale section for 75$.. Looks brand new an will do its job just fine.
You have your choices on some parts of boxed/welded/bolt in/etc.. Do your research in the suspension forum and decide what is best for your application..
Old 12-21-2009, 01:38 AM

Will do. Thanks for the help
Old 12-21-2009, 03:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

Will do. Thanks for the help
No problem man..