Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My power steering pump went out and took the altenator with it!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 07:05 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry My power steering pump went out and took the altenator with it!!!!

ARRRGG!!! My power steering pump took a ****, and released it feces on my altenator!!! Why o why did GM put the Altenator directly under the power steering pump! O well, looks like I get to use the 118 pc. Craftsman tool set my girlfriend bought me for christmas Any advice for those who have replaced these parts? I'll be using a Haynes tear down/build up guide from Autozone...
Old 12-22-2009, 10:21 PM
Launching!

I have no idea why GM put the alternator where it is. Im an expert at changing them, can get it off in like 5 mins. My powersteering pump has gone out twice, both times taking the Alt. with it. Timing cover gasket leak also killed it a couple times before I figured out what was causing it. Im actually going through the powersteering pump/alt thing right now. Im not sure were to get a good replacement, Have already had 2 advance auto parts ones on it, and personally, I would do a power steering delete before I bought another from them.

Lucky a guy near me rebuilds them for cheap so im not out too much money.

Anyways, I do not think there is any good way to approach the PS pump. Unless you plan on pulling the pully with the pump in the car (big PITA), you will have to remove it still attached to the bracket, which is still a PITA. After awhile of looking at it and the bolts I have to remove I broke down and just pulled the water pump to get the bottom most bolt

As you can see from the pic it seems impossible, not saying that it is though, to remove with the water pump from the car. Only added like MAYBE 30 mins to the project, I have gotten efficient at working on these things (unfortunatly doing repairs not mods for the most part )

Im sick of stuff leaking on the alt. and killing it. This time I am going to get some scrap heat shield or something that is laying around and make a shield thingy that will go on top of the alternator and keep stuff from dripping into it.

Good luck.
Old 12-22-2009, 10:42 PM
On The Tree

yea pull the resoivor off
Old 12-23-2009, 01:58 PM
TECH Resident

tell me more about the 5 min altenator removal, tip? tricks & tools?

I think I can do with out PS for a while...
Old 12-23-2009, 02:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Get a P/S pump pully puller, move the upper radiator hose out of the way, use the tool to take off the pully from the power steering pump and there are 3 bolts that hold it on that are behind the pully. Using the power steering pully puller can be a bit tricky but doing it this way only took me about 15/20 mins to take off.

PS you can get the pully puller tool from autozone. (rent a tool)

Last edited by Mart00SS; 12-23-2009 at 03:42 PM.
Old 12-23-2009, 02:08 PM
On The Tree

yea once you get that pulley off its a breeze, i think it costs like 30 bucks to rent then you get your money back when you return it
Old 12-23-2009, 03:59 PM
...with cheese.

Just save the hard bolt for last and walk the pump off the head more and more as you loosen it. I've never pulled a pulley off of one. Open end 15mm.
Old 12-23-2009, 10:15 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by IT_SS
tell me more about the 5 min altenator removal, tip? tricks & tools?

I think I can do with out PS for a while...
Just go underneath and loosen the two bolts, the last will be from the top, it bolts into the back of the alternator instead of the front. Its kind of tricky to get to but aint bad. I have a little stubby 3/8 drive ratchet I use to get to it. Might have to use an extension to get to it. After that unplug the harness from it and go back underneath and unbolt the big red wire from it, it will be held on with a nut. To keep form losing this nut, thread it back onto the alternator (if you are gonna rebuild it/get it rebuilt, not sure if a new one will come with the nut so just keep track of it incase you need it). Then you kind of have to wrestle it around to get it correctly oriented to get it out as its a tight fit with against the radiator shroud but it will come out (comes out through the bottom).

I have done the puller thing to get the PS pump off before but I did not like the puller, dont remember where I rented it from however, and did not feel like driving 15 mins up town and back to get one, I just pulled the Waterpump off because its relatively easy to get off. The bottom bolt is a breeze. I took the bottom bolt out 1st, the went back and forth between the bolt behind the resevoir and the last bolt. The one behind the resevoir can be annoying, but if you have a skinny 15mm wrench you will get the hang of it quickly.
Old 12-24-2009, 02:15 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

so why wont it fit in with everything assembled like this?

instead of how our's are
Old 12-24-2009, 02:17 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

change the assembly and that should save your alternator from dying again
Old 12-24-2009, 07:27 PM
TECH Resident

well, i took care altenator today, un-bolting it was a breeze compared to actually getting the daym thing past the fan and sway bar. i think i can live w/o ps for a while tho...
Old 12-25-2009, 09:22 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by IT_SS
well, i took care altenator today, un-bolting it was a breeze compared to actually getting the daym thing past the fan and sway bar. i think i can live w/o ps for a while tho...
haha, tell me about it. After you do that a few times, it becomes second nature and just falls out. It isnt near as bad as it looks.
Old 12-25-2009, 09:47 AM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Won't using a P/S pulley with holes in it make removing the pump easier?

Here's one on ebay:
Old 12-25-2009, 10:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thats for ls2s and stuff i believe, its metal, the vettes assebly is spaced differently from the motor, so it wont line up with your belt, correct me if im wrong..

a company makes them for f-bodys that are metal and look good.. forget the name of the company though...

my ps pulley exploded and took out the pump...
Old 12-25-2009, 11:17 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Paul Bell
Won't using a P/S pulley with holes in it make removing the pump easier?

Here's one on ebay:
Omg, I will have to check that out. Would make it so much easier.
Old 12-25-2009, 11:21 AM
Banned

Why not just upgrade to a TurnOne power steering pump and pulley. Allot of the RR and autoX guys have used it for years. I plan on doing it for my daily driver as well.
Old 12-25-2009, 11:47 AM
Launching!

Excuse my ignorance, but what are the advantages? What site sells them?
Originally Posted by cookba
Why not just upgrade to a TurnOne power steering pump and pulley. Allot of the RR and autoX guys have used it for years. I plan on doing it for my daily driver as well.
Old 12-25-2009, 03:21 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Yeah I was looking at the Turn One site but I thought the one on ebay would be less expensive.

If that was a LS2 pulley, my bad, I'm sure somebody makes them for LS1 pumps.

http://www.turnone-steering.com/pumpdirectory.html

Old 12-25-2009, 06:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yep I had my alternator go because of the stupid power steering pump a few years ago. One thing I will say is, disconnecting the sway bar will make your life a lot easier when removing the alternator and putting a new one in.
Old 12-25-2009, 07:23 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Shockwave179
Yep I had my alternator go because of the stupid power steering pump a few years ago. One thing I will say is, disconnecting the sway bar will make your life a lot easier when removing the alternator and putting a new one in.
I left mine connected. It would clear up alot of room though, you just have to get the alternator cocked the right way lol

Quick Reply: My power steering pump went out and took the altenator with it!!!!