Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Rain + LS1 Car = Bad Combination

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2003, 06:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Rain + LS1 Car = Bad Combination

Well.. I was on my way to see family yesterday around 4pm and it had just started raining.

I was merging onto a main highway with lots of traffic as my rear tires lost grip, my car did a full 180, hit a 8 foot bank, and slid about 200 feet. :o\

Damage was small but costly -- but I'm glad I was safe. I didn't budge from my seat although I was airborn. Wrecker driver and police said I was lucky my car didn't flip -- and I give credit to my low height for that.

Damage:
Must have new front bumper and fog lights ... it busted the bumper and the foglight assembly is all crooked.
Also my front bumper is pushed way back into the car -- over the hood latch.
There are some big gaps in the front alignment as far as the hood and fenders..
My driver side ground effect [side skirt?] is busted .. so new one of those.
Wheels are scrached up... and tires have to be broke down to get the trash out of them.
Rear bumper is bulged up in middle and paint is cracked in places .. and also it took some paint off so probably new rear bumper..
Tips are pushed in..

Thats all I can think of at the moment.. but its a big repair bill.

I guess the point of me posting this is -- I was lucky. My angel was with me.... I could've went into the left lanes which were full of speeding traffic as easy as I hit that ditch.. I could've flipped. There could've been a much worse outcome. So .. PLEASE -- everybody be careful. And wear a seatbelt. They DO work.

::Austin::

[maybe i'll have pics soon]
Old 12-17-2003, 08:00 PM
On The Tree

glad to hear your ok man, the car can be replaced but you on the other hand cannot.
Old 12-17-2003, 09:13 PM
TECH Regular

I found out they don't like snow last spring. Fortunately, I missed the road edge marker. Just ended up rocker panel deep in snow and ice about 30 ft off the road.
Don't like those kinds of rides.
Old 12-17-2003, 10:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Damn, Austin, sorry to hear about that

Important part is that you're OK
Old 12-17-2003, 10:51 PM

Austin, that's absolutely terrible to hear. I hope you get it back to better than it was before, honestly. I absolutely will not drive my 99' 1LE if it rains, or the forecast says it might. Luckily, I have other cars that are suitable for that. I learned my lesson with some other cars I've had down through the years. Hence my signature. My car doesn't have traction control either, never did. I've had some really scarry situations even on dry pavement. It's an IQ test.
Old 12-18-2003, 12:20 AM
NKAWTG...N

glad to hear your okay. hope you had insurance to cover that mother! i like sawedoff, don't have traction control. but that is why god invented the honda...to drive the domestic owner around on all the **** *** days
Old 12-18-2003, 04:25 AM
TECH Addict

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Damn that sucks........ Glad your ok......

Another reason why mine only comes out when the sun shines. I have enough trouble getting traction when the roads are dry, especially when it's below 45.........
Old 12-18-2003, 08:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Too bad, glad you're OK . . .
Old 12-18-2003, 10:33 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry, and glad you're ok, but that is why tires are so important. If you have shitty tires, you might as well just park when it rains. I learned the hard way, too, but my damage was far more severe than yours. Now I only run the best tires, and I don't have problems! I can drive in the rain almost the same as I can when it's dry.

Old 12-18-2003, 11:10 AM
Humanitarian

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well if the insurance check is as big as I think it'll be. Toss in another 1,000.00 and get the car re-painted and wet sanded. Might as well have it come out looking better than when it went in.
Old 12-18-2003, 12:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for your input. We're all the same with our cars. Its made me sick. I'm going to hear what the check will be today. I hope it'll cover.

I don't have traction control and I have shitty tires.. and nothing else to drive when it rains. :o\

Oh well. The bodyman rocks so maybe it'll look great when hes done !

Thanks again. :Austin:
Old 12-18-2003, 12:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Just heard from them !! Progressive has their own adjusters and I was worried they wouldn't give me anything but hes going to give me all new bumpers.. fix my wheel for being scratched .. and new sideskirt ... fix the exhuast ... and everything that was damaged !

I'm excited. W000!
Old 12-18-2003, 04:51 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

glad to hear your ok and that the insurance is going to hook you up
Old 12-18-2003, 05:36 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,221 Likes on 778 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Our cars are not forgiving when you have bald tires on the car. Sorry you had an accident.
Old 12-18-2003, 07:10 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by SSG--Z28
Sorry, and glad you're ok, but that is why tires are so important. If you have shitty tires, you might as well just park when it rains. I learned the hard way, too, but my damage was far more severe than yours. Now I only run the best tires, and I don't have problems! I can drive in the rain almost the same as I can when it's dry.

Well said. Glad to read you're okay....
Old 12-19-2003, 01:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hear about the bad luck there. Glad to hear Insurance is gonna cover everything for ya.

I gotta say though, you gotta lighten up on the throttle when driving in less than ideal conditions. I have one car, and I drive it year round, and I live in New Hampshire. I've been driving Trans Ams and Z28s for almost 8 years now. I've made the ~20 mile trip home from work in snowstorms to see upwards of half a dozen or move vehicles in the snow banks or ditches from losing control, and I've pulled into my own driveway without a hitch every time. There are times when I seriously struggle for the traction to just move forward, but I've never spun out. And oddly enough, I've never had any sort of winter tire on any of my cars, and several times (last winter included) I've driven them with pretty bald summer tires.

The point I'm trying to make is these cars CAN be driven in a good many less than ideal weather conditions. You just need the restraint to not push that pedal any farther than it needs to be pushed. You need to realize you aren't going to fly into corners and power out of them like it was a sunny 90 degree July afternoon.

The best thing you can do right now is sit down by yourself and spend as much time as necessary going over what happened. What you did. What the car did. What you could have, or should have done (if anything, there are indeed some accidents that could not be avoided without some form of precognition). You can shrug it off to weather conditions and bald tires, but you knew the condition of your tires and the weather you were driving in.

Please do not take offense or get defensive. I'm only offering up some advice in the interest of helping you, advice from someone who's been in really shitty weather with the wrong tires on many occasions. It can be done, you just have to adjust your driving to the conditions. Just ask yourself if you did anything wrong, and be honest, or you risk not learning from your own mistakes.
Old 12-19-2003, 03:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah I know ultimately it was my fault. :o\