Car shakes a bit too much

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2009, 01:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Car shakes a bit too much

Well im sure this is not the right place to post this, but i trust my fellow texan members

Well i installed Some long tubes and a y pipe with a cut out right in front of the cat back.

And well... i tried to extend the o2 sensors, (the ones mounted on the headers) and failed, and of corse my y pipe is off road so no o2's there

But i do get my SES light on and it tells me all o2 sensors dont work, (lucky me)

And well on idle the car shakes a little... more than it did before, and sometimes it bogs... only on idle tho!

The car idles a little over 500 rpm... is this normal?
Does my car need a tune?
can a tune take out the o2 sensor stuff? and never let it come on again?
or do i have to buy new o2 sensors and buy extensions and by 2 o2 simulators for the 2 rear o2 sensors?

If you need any more info please ask ill reply asap.
Old 12-31-2009, 03:12 AM
Staging Lane

Default tune it

yep you need a tune. Perhaps a Patrick G fix
Old 12-31-2009, 09:38 AM
TECH Apprentice

What o2 sensor is throwing a code? here is a example bank 1 sensor 1 or bank 1 sensor 2 if it is sensor 2 on both sides then you can have them tuned out. If it is bank 1 sensor 1 or bank two sensor 1 you have problems with your primary o2's witch you will need to fix
Old 12-31-2009, 10:02 AM
On The Tree

i had the same problem and went thorw about 5 sets of o2's, for different reasons, but the problem you stated can be fixed by getting the rear o2's tunned out and get some extensions for the front or get some corvett o2's and replace them if that doesnt fix it then you may have some other probelms somewhere, also make sure you have the little blue seal thing on the connectors, getting water in there will cause it to bog and run funny atleast it did mine anyways
Old 12-31-2009, 07:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 98silvertacrbn
What o2 sensor is throwing a code? here is a example bank 1 sensor 1 or bank 1 sensor 2 if it is sensor 2 on both sides then you can have them tuned out. If it is bank 1 sensor 1 or bank two sensor 1 you have problems with your primary o2's witch you will need to fix
all the o2's are throwing codes
both up front
both out back
meaning i didnt extend the o2's correctly.
( i know stupid me)
Old 12-31-2009, 07:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LoudmouthWS6
i had the same problem and went thorw about 5 sets of o2's, for different reasons, but the problem you stated can be fixed by getting the rear o2's tunned out and get some extensions for the front or get some corvett o2's and replace them if that doesnt fix it then you may have some other probelms somewhere, also make sure you have the little blue seal thing on the connectors, getting water in there will cause it to bog and run funny atleast it did mine anyways
im sure its the o2's bc it did this fater
i got the smart idea of extenting the o2 sensors my self.
lol
Old 12-31-2009, 07:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

well start with extending them correctly and see if you have the prob. the rear o2s dont matter the front ones are the ones that control the A/F ratio. you need to get the front ones working( get the known problems fixed then work on the rest)
Old 12-31-2009, 07:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

any way to know when the o2 sensors are bad? or dont work?
Old 12-31-2009, 10:28 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ws6kid.
any way to know when the o2 sensors are bad? or dont work?
13111 bosch 02 for a 2000+ corvette. They have the long pig tail and will work just fine.
Old 01-01-2010, 10:15 AM
Teching In

If its the front sensors on the headers, and they are not plugged in, your car will run in closed loop operation only and run like ****, that mode is only to be used till the engine gets warm. Plus the sensors on the headers are not o2 they are air/fuel sensors that tell the computer how to adjust the trim to maintain 14.1 air to fuel mix. A tune will not fix this.
Old 01-01-2010, 01:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bambaboy
If its the front sensors on the headers, and they are not plugged in, your car will run in closed loop operation only and run like ****, that mode is only to be used till the engine gets warm. Plus the sensors on the headers are not o2 they are air/fuel sensors that tell the computer how to adjust the trim to maintain 14.1 air to fuel mix. A tune will not fix this.
ahhhh,,, well the other guy said getting some o2's from a corvette would fix things for me, soo ill try that out.

Last edited by Ws6kid.; 01-01-2010 at 01:59 PM.
Old 01-02-2010, 08:26 PM
TECH Addict

Ummmmm..... A o2 sensor in combination with the maf, Map, and Iat sensors tells the computet what afr to run. Yor front 02s are for warm up, the second set are for fuel eco. Just got to be sure they are plugged in right. O2 extensions suck ***** the bosch 13111 have a 4 foot pig tail more than enough for any long tube header. and to the op, All 02 sensors except widband o2 are the same for 98-2002 corvette and Fbodies, gtos are differant and the c6 models are aswell.
Old 01-02-2010, 11:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

Your car runs closed loop when it's above 92 degrees and open loop on cold start. My car runs open loop all the time
Old 01-02-2010, 11:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Your front o2's send a signal to your pcm in mv anything below 50mv is lean and above 900mv is rich and from there your pcm uses stft's and ltft's to do the correction to reach 14.8 afr and when you go into power enrichment mode aka WOT throttle, all st and lt trims go to zero. Or at least that's what i think i have learned so far
Old 01-03-2010, 03:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by OUTLAWZ RACING
Ummmmm..... A o2 sensor in combination with the maf, Map, and Iat sensors tells the computet what afr to run. Yor front 02s are for warm up, the second set are for fuel eco. Just got to be sure they are plugged in right. O2 extensions suck ***** the bosch 13111 have a 4 foot pig tail more than enough for any long tube header. and to the op, All 02 sensors except widband o2 are the same for 98-2002 corvette and Fbodies, gtos are differant and the c6 models are aswell.
thank you,
i got a set of the o2's u recomended and there nice and im going to put them on tomorow,
now i just need to tune out the rear o2's?
Old 01-03-2010, 08:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

well i got the o2's and they work great
thank you!
and the car idles normal now,
about 600-700 rpms
Old 01-04-2010, 08:50 AM
On The Tree

gald you got it fixed
Old 03-01-2010, 11:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I know this post is old but i started to drive my car around again
and it stil shakes.
has turned off on me at-least 4 times.
i changed the fuel pump it was bad 70,000 miles and it was still the stock unit i believe.
I got the corvette o2's on there but i still not running the rear o2's
will the rear o2's really make my car shake on idle?
Remember... it only does this sometimes,
When ever it feels like it.
=/
Fuel pump?
Old 03-02-2010, 05:41 AM
TECH Addict

I would plug up the rear 02 untill you get them tuned out. The car is not getting a eco ready in closed loop therefore going to a default table. Im no tuner but that might be the problem.
Old 03-02-2010, 10:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

running no rear o2's with out a tune should be no prob. i have not running rear o2's and dont have a tune yet and my car runs just fine, made 334 to the wheels... did you check clearence for your headers? are they hitting your K-member or maybe your floor board or something along those lines? if it is, that can cause some vibration in the car... a tune will make the car runn better and get more power out of it, but is still NOT NECCESARY, but is a good investment!